Surgiversary POLL Come on in!!

Barbara M.
on 3/1/07 1:32 pm - St. Louis, MO
TODAY is my 1st Surgiversary. Your biggest WOW moment? When people I knew really well who hadn't seen me since the surgery didn't recognize me. Goals you haven't reached yet, BUT WILL!?!?!?!? Losing the last 10 lbs. Things that you can do now that you couldn't a year ago? Go up and down stairs easily. Shop in regular stores, get lots of really nice clothes at Goodwill. Feel confident enough to get a new job. Reward when you reach your goal weight? Not sure. Do you have any regrets since your surgery? I really have none except I wish I had done it 20 years ago! What has been the easiest and hardest thing since surgery? Easiest - giving up soda. Hardest - head hunger. Any complications you've had? None at all. Medical issues that have resolved since surgery? Diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol all resolved. Bad habit you've reverted back to since surgery? Occasional grazing. Any thing you wish you would have done differently during your post-op journey? Gone to support group. My work schedule doesn't allow it, and there is only one available in my area. Also, I wish I had not gone back to eating as many carbs. I have to be REALLY careful about them. How has your weight loss affected your relationships with friends, family, spouse or significant other? Yes - very positively. Favorite post op recipe (please share with us) Not much into cooking. Did everything mostly on a convenience basis... If you could only recommend 3 things, products, foods, etc. That you have found since starting your "Journey," What would they be? SF International Food Chai Latte to help me feel full; turkey pepperoni; Lipton Diet Citrus green tea. If you could pass along advice "been there, done that" to pre-ops, what advice would it be? Follow your doc's advise to a T. Expect stalls and don't obsess about them. DON'T START GRAZING. We can't eat much at one time, but we can eat a little at a time all day long if we allow ourselves to. Don't test yourself with sugar. Assume you will dump and stay away from it. Thanks for the survey - it made me think. Barb
~ Stylz ~
on 3/2/07 3:03 am - North of Boston, MA
Happy Surgiversary Barbara! I love Lipton Diet Citrus Green Tea too! heres a copy-cat recipe for it (I double the recipe and keep it in the fridge)! 4 cups water 2 lipton green tea bags 10 packets equal (I used splenda) 5 packets true - lime 1/4 tsp orange extract Boil the water and add tea bags let steep for an hour. Add equal, true lime and orange extract. Pour into a pitcher and let chill in fridge
SoulSista
on 3/1/07 2:13 pm - Boston, MA
Change in numbers... Starting weight, surgery weight, current weight, goal weight, starting sizes, current sizes, loss in inches? 236, 236, 140, 130, started at size 22-24 current size 6. never mesured inches Your biggest WOW moment? able to by off the rack at any store and bought some pants for 5 bucks Goals you haven't reached yet, BUT WILL!?!?!?!? run a 5k, reach goal weight 130, try to have a child this year. Things that you can do now that you couldn't a year ago? run any where much less 2 miles at a time , cross my legs Reward when you reach your goal weight? I want a belly button ring Do you have any regrets since your surgery? in the begininng, but not any more would do it all over in a heart beat What has been the easiest and hardest thing since surgery? easiest going to the gym who knew. the hardest over eating my eyes can be bigger than my stomach sometimes Any complications you've had? small bowel obstruction 3 days after surgery, constant nausea for the first 4 months Medical issues that have resolved since surgery? high blood pressure pain in joints asthma improved acid reflux gone Bad habit you've reverted back to since surgery? sugar sugar sugar Any thing you wish you would have done differently during your post-op journey? How has your weight loss affected your relationships with friends, family, spouse or significant other? lost some friends, strenthened my relationship with my hubby he was right there for me during the rough months. Favorite post op recipe (please share with us)Mock Mashed Potatoes (mashed Cauliflower)-low Carb for thoes of us that miss mashed potatoes 1 head fresh cauliflower, rinsed,florets only water, as needed 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced or 2 cloves roasted garlic, mashed,to taste 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, to taste,minced (optional) 1 tablespoon whipped cream cheese 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated 1/8 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (I used Better Than Bouillon brand) 1/8-1/4 teaspoon low sodium salt or salt, to taste 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste 1 tablespoon smart balance butter Bring a medium-large pot of water to boil. Cut cauliflower into smaller pieces, add to the pot,and boil until fork tender,approximately 6 minutes; drain well. Using a stick blender or potato masher, mash the cauliflower with the cream cheese, garlic, rosemary (if using), Parmesan cheese,butter,and bouillon powder. Add some salt and pepper to taste- test and adjust seasonings as needed. If you could only recommend 3 things, products, foods, etc. That you have found since starting your "Journey," What would they be? crystal light, nectar cappacino protein, turkey chilli lived on it in the begining. If you could pass along advice "been there, done that" to pre-ops, what advice would it be? it really does get better you really have to be patient. you have to move the weight falls off in the beginning but you have to incorporate exercise to be successful. I know what its like to be thin and I will do everything withing my power to keep it that way. nothing taste as good as thin feels
~ Stylz ~
on 3/2/07 3:14 am - North of Boston, MA
I've only had mock potatoes once (at the 99) and they were good. These sound so much better... cream cheese. that must make them so rich and yummy!!! thanks for the recipe, can't wait to make them!
Darlene X
on 3/1/07 10:04 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Oh I missed the first question: Change in numbers... Starting weight, surgery weight, current weight, goal weight, starting sizes, current sizes, loss in inches? Start: 338lbs Surgery Weight: 338lbs Current Weight: 183lbs Goal Weight: 170lbs Starting Size: 26/28, 3X Current sizes: 12, L
timsdanni
on 3/1/07 10:44 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
Change in numbers... Starting weight, surgery weight, current weight, goal weight, starting sizes, current sizes, loss in inches? *start weight 372 current 221.5 goal 170 haven't messured in 2 months but my 9 months were over 90 inches lost started a size 32 currently a tight 14 or comfy 16 bra went from a 46DDD with extender to a 36C, shoes from a tight 11wide to a 10 or 9.5 wide depending on the style Your biggest WOW moment? *either going #2 on a plane and being able to wipe or buying a swim suit that I accually looked good in on the first try or being able to keep up in a new step arobics class and NOT being the biggest woman there Goals you haven't reached yet, BUT WILL!?!?!?!? *size 12 and being cute pg Things that you can do now that you couldn't a year ago? * run,play and have fun with my kids, sit in a booth, fit in a reg chair, not embarass hubby or kids when I am intorduced Reward when you reach your goal weight? *pregnacy and then plastics Do you have any regrets since your surgery? *that I am kinda vain over my body - I like to look at me What has been the easiest and hardest thing since surgery? *easyest_working out *hardest- not grazing on foods, letting other things besides me and my wieght loss be important Any complications you've had? *still having internal bleeding but hey 150 pounds weight loss is worth taking prilesc and iron for the rest of my life - not worth explority surgery however so I will just keep taking my pills and bleeding Medical issues that have resolved since surgery? *blood sugar, blood pressure, sudo tumor, snoring Bad habit you've reverted back to since surgery? *pms eating - sharp cheese and dark choc. but I limit carefully Any thing you wish you would have done differently during your post-op journey? *nope How has your weight loss affected your relationships with friends, family, spouse or significant other? * posititly with Tim b/c he is an outdoorsy active person and loves for me to go with. fam is pretty supportive. a few freinds have been less than wonderful but mostly I have felt a lot of love and support Favorite post op recipe (please share with us) *cream cheese, deli ham and green onions - cut the ham and onions tiny and mix it all together let sit 24 hours and ENJOY If you could only recommend 3 things, products, foods, etc. That you have found since starting your "Journey," What would they be? *the baby round cheeses (name escapes me right now) salmon in the little cups with sauce and artichokes If you could pass along advice "been there, done that" to pre-ops, what advice would it be? *exersize early and often - carry water EVERYWHERE with you and take your vits and protien no matter what Danni
~ Stylz ~
on 3/2/07 3:16 am - North of Boston, MA
are the little cheeses called bonebel? the red wax that you peel back and have your own little cheese wheel? I love those things.. Laughing cow cheese too espically the roasted garlic with celery! mmmmmmm
jomamma
on 3/4/07 11:22 am - Palmdale, CA
Danni What is the salmon in little cups with sauce?? I love salmon and I really want to know what you are refering to? Tell me please!!
bananajana5
on 3/2/07 3:46 am - Jackson, TN
Change in numbers... Starting weight, surgery weight, current weight, goal weight, starting sizes, current sizes, loss in inches? 288,276,154,140 size 22/24, now size 6 shoe 10 now 8 1/2 did not do loss of inches...should have done that! Your biggest WOW moment? Buying size 6 jeans! Goals you haven't reached yet, BUT WILL!?!?!?!? 140 pounds and exercise Things that you can do now that you couldn't a year ago? walking and not be out of breath Reward when you reach your goal weight? I would love plastics! Do you have any regrets since your surgery? none What has been the easiest and hardest thing since surgery? easiest eating small amounts of food - hardest limiting sugar Any complications you've had? Large blood loss in hospital...took 10 units to fix problem Medical issues that have resolved since surgery? no high blood pressure now! Bad habit you've reverted back to since surgery? I drink cola now...I have not drank that in 25 years! Any thing you wish you would have done differently during your post-op journey? Better with vitamins and exercise How has your weight loss affected your relationships with friends, family, spouse or significant other?Sometimes I think my husband is a little jealous when people look at me now! Favorite post op recipe (please share with us) don't really have one If you could only recommend 3 things, products, foods, etc. That you have found since starting your "Journey," What would they be? Turkey pepperoni,??? If you could pass along advice "been there, done that" to pre-ops, what advice would it be? IT DOES GET BETTER, Just get through the first 8 weeks! Exercise more and listen to your body....Remember there is no stupid question for the doctor!
miminjoey
on 3/2/07 2:50 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
I am in Waverly, TN...i grew up here had my surgery in Tx but I am bak here...didn't notice you were in Jackson you are just an hour down the road. Mimi
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views