Who Flipped the $#@$%# hunger switch???!

RebekaA
on 2/27/07 12:14 pm - Inland Empire, CA
Has thi**** anyone else yet? All of a sudden, out of the blue, right at 11 months I've been blindsided by the non stop munchies and hunger pangs. I should say HEAD hunger pangs, b/c I'm not really ever truly hungry. I'm suddenly back to wanting to eat ALL the time. When I do eat, I just don't feel satisfied anymore--even tho I"m eating mostly all protein. This is the first time since WLS I have felt this way. I'm still low carbing, haven't really changed anything or added "bad" foods. I know we can eat more now, so I figure maybe I feel less satisfied b/c I still measure my portions to keep them small--I'm still not at goal, so I don't want to eat more just b/c I can. Which is why it's so terrible, b/c I've felt so safe until now that I was at least somewhat in control of my eating. But it's more and more like pre WLS, where I have to fight the urge to eat (for no freaking reason) ALL day. I"m freaking out. I don't know where this is coming from. I don't know if it's my paranoia/FEAR at coming up on a year and reverting to old, bad habits. My biggest problem pre op was not about making poor food choices--it was portion control, I just never felt full or satisfied so I always overate...that's what this is starting to feel like again. I swore the minute I started to slip, I would find help, maybe a shrink or something. I CAN'T go back. ever. can't. so that's something I'm thinking about--dreading, but thinking about it. I guess I just needed to voice my fears aloud. Thanks for "listening."
miminjoey
on 2/27/07 7:41 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
Honey scooot over and let me sit down because I am in the same boat as you. I swear some days it seems like that is all I do is eat...and like you I try to stick with the good stuff granted some days other things get in there...but I could snack on carrotts, or grapes or bananas you know healthy stuff but I am still snacking...which I am so worried is going to be my down fall..I need to go back to eatting my meals and then filling in the rest with fluids. I am like you I was good about eatting good foods...I just ate them ALL DAY! Like you I can not and WILL not go back sorry I can't do that again. I also for some reason have stuckin my head one year is like it...granted my doctor said 18 months to 2 years if you worked at it but I wanted to get there in a year and i am at goal and only 1 pound from my doctors goal...but i feel like now what...they didn't teach us how to maintain...which I know they did...you keep going eatting your protein and not snacking...but I feel like I am hanging here going ok what now, what am I suppose to do now that we are at the 1 year mark.
RebekaA
on 2/28/07 6:39 am - Inland Empire, CA
I feel that way too about the 1 year--feel like I'm done, it's over and it'll be back to square one soon, just like I was preop do you still feel "full" now Mimi? I don't, but like I said, I don't want to up my portions. I don't even think we are supposed to??? I agree with you that I feel all alone out here, my dr. doesn't even send us to a Nut, so as far as after care and guidance--I have none. Thanks for your input.
jmelrod829
on 2/27/07 9:03 pm - Pottsville, PA
I know exactly how the fear feels!!!! However my situation is different.......I found out I am pregnant!!!! I am TERRIFIED of gaining weight and it never coming off, or worse yet going back to 355 lbs. I swore I would never obsess about gains because they happen and weight fluctuates, but I am scared out of my skin. I won't make this post about me, but just wanted to let you know I feel your pain and it definately could be worse.....you could not realize that you are beginning to graze/snack! Hang in there, Jennifer 355/214/150
RebekaA
on 2/28/07 6:41 am - Inland Empire, CA
Thanks Jennifer! Congratulations on being pregnant! I wish you all the best throughout!
miminjoey
on 2/28/07 10:29 am - Fort Bragg, NC
woo hoo congratulations!
~ Stylz ~
on 2/27/07 9:37 pm - North of Boston, MA
Rebeka I can't say I'm in the same boat as you, but I do notice on the days I don't eat oatmeal for breakfast I'm more hungry than other days and feel I can eat and eat and eat! Have you thought about adding a protein shake when you get hungry maybe even a small shake (around 10 grams)? Maybe your body needs the extra protein? I constantly think about how I was in the past and how I'll never go back to what I was. The eating, bindging, eating junk food all day and night.. A few weeks ago I noticed our "nigh outs" that usually included 1 alcoholic drink went from once a month to every week. We went out on a Friday and I had a drink. Saturday we went out and I had 2 drinks!! I freaked out because I started thinking about this being the beginning of a slippery slope! Drinks, going out more, starting to eat the wrong foods, etc, etc. First thing Monday morning I called my nutritionist and set up an appointment. I've been honest with her from day 1 regardless what I eat or drink. I told her what was going on and we talked about ways to fix it. Ways to get back on track! It doesn't sound like you need to go see a shrink or be committed to a rubber room girl , maybe a call to your Dr. office or nutritionist will help you along? You're doing great and look fantasti****ep us posted on how things go!
RebekaA
on 2/28/07 6:47 am - Inland Empire, CA
You're so lucky you have a Nut, I don't have one. My dr doesn't "believe in them." good for you for being proactive and honest with her, no help in NOT being truthful with the person there to help you! I think I am going to start adding a small shake in the afternoon. My trigger time is after 4pm so i've been trying to have a protein snack at 3pm, but maybe a shake will be better. I hear you on the going out! I've been going out a lot more now--now that I have cute clothes to wear etc, it's a lot more fun so i want to do it more! but it does lead to a drink or two, which is not good. thanks for your input and support! I feel much better having vented.
robinsaxton
on 2/27/07 10:15 pm - Columbia, MD
You are so not alone! I have been eating so much for the past two weeks. It started around the middle of February for me. I spent the weekend at a friends house taking care of her after she has surgery. That Saturday, I ate and ate and ate! I was like you, nothing satisfied me. It is soo scary! I too struggled with portion control before wls. I could put away A LOT of food. I don't want to be able to do that ever again. I am trying really hard not to eat all day. It hard cuz I feel head hungry all day now. Some days are easier than others but it is a struggle. I have gone back to measuring and eating off of smaller plates again. I can't go back. I will not go back! If I find the cure for this I'll let you know. You do the same for me, K? (for all of us) Hugs, Robin
RebekaA
on 2/28/07 6:50 am - Inland Empire, CA
Thanks for your input and support Robin! Now that you've gone back to measuring etc. have you noticed a positive change or less head hunger? I think I"m going to cut back to 40gm carbs this week and see if that helps. I've been around 60-80, but maybe this will detox me. I'll keep you posted. Hugs back!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views