Plastics consult

robinsaxton
on 2/23/07 4:16 am - Columbia, MD
I just wanted to let you all know that I am looking into plastic surgery. I am 20 lbs from my goal weight. I saw the plastic surgeon today. We are retired military so I am going through our military hospital for the surgery. I initially thought I would have to fight for what I want done. Typically Tricare will only pay for a panniculectomy (tummy tuck). But my doc wants to do a lower body lift on me. He feels very strongly that this is what is needed. They will do a circumferential (sp) panniculectomy and hopefully have it paid for by Tricare. They want to cut all the way around my waist, doing the tummy tuck, lipo the outer thighs/hips and under my buttocks and then pull up and cut away the excess skin. I don't know if that will happen for sure but we are going to try. I am so excited. They want me to keep working for the next 3-4 months to lose to my goal (21 lbs to go!). I am to see them again in April/May to discuss schedules and insurance. I will have two docs working on me to keep the time in the OR down. I can't believe they are going to try this for me. I sure hope that it will be paid for, or at the very least, mostly paid for. I have a call into the case manager to talk about getting approval from Tricare and finding out what costs there will be if any. I hope she calls back soon. I want to know so that I can plan for this. I really hope this happens. I am two sizes bigger in my hips than my waist. This make it really hard to find clothes that fit and don't have to be altered. I am currently altering all of my pants because the waist is 4-6 inches too big if they fit through the thighs/hips. I also told the doctors that the loose skin in my legs and buttocks is really uncomfortable when I am running/walking/biking or other exercises. When I do the abs class and we do planks on our side, the blob of skin hanging is so embarrassing and gets painful. I don't get rashes but it also hasn't been warm yet so I don't sweat a lot. Thanks for letting me share. I'll keep you posted if this is going to work out. Hugs, Robin
Courtney B.
on 2/23/07 5:14 am - Lancaster, CA
Good Luck! I dont have the guts for PS, too painful from what I hear. But I am 5 lbs from my surgeon goal and 15 from mine. I may feel different later. Let us all know if your insurance pays. We will be rooting for you! Courtney 254/155/140
miminjoey
on 2/23/07 9:27 am - Fort Bragg, NC
woo hoo!!! I want PS so bad I can't stnad it. My surgeon says I can look into after I have maintained my weight for 6 months...well **** I am still loosing. I will have to have a lower body lift as well. I can wear 6 in skirts but most my pants are 9's or 10's with a few 8's after to get them to go over my hips and thighs and then they sag in the waist which is why I can wear smaller skirts. I look nasty from the back in a swim suit I look like Mr. Fantastic where he melts himself trying to reverse the effects from the blast. I do have a problem with rashes and boils from the extra skin...we have Tricare as well and my surgeon said if I could not get it done where ever we are stationed I could fly back to El Paso and he would do it for me. Anyway......back on track...I am excited for you, I hope they ok it for you. I feel like if they are going to pay for the surgery to get us healthy they should pay to get the outside to match the inside.
timsdanni
on 2/24/07 5:25 am - Ft Stewart, GA
who said he will do it? Johnson or shirver???? inquiring minds with huge amounts of extra skin WANT TO KNOW!! shriver siad he would do mine with my hernia repair but that will also not be done till I maintian for 6 months - I am still 56 pounds from where I want to be - 202 pounds down from surgery (170 pounds) is my goal PRE plastics 150 is my goal post plastics danni 372/226/170
robinsaxton
on 2/25/07 11:10 pm - Columbia, MD
The docs I saw on Friday said that in Landstuhl, Germany all of the plastics are 100% because they haven't figured out how to charge over there. (his exact words) So maybe when you get somewhere, if its overseas, they will do plastics and it will be totally covered. That would be cool huh? I just hope this all works out. Hugs, Robin
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/23/07 9:28 am - My Town, NH
Robin, that is so exciting!!! I hope everything works out for you. I'll be watching and listening closely. I can't schedule a consult until 18 months out from surgery. You better believe that I'll be asking for the consult appointment to be scheduled at my year check-up appointment on March 8th. I want to know it's already on the calendar for September. I'm going to need the works! It seems as if the extra skin becomes worse each day. Keep up the great work! You've done so well and will continue to succeed. Hugs, Stephanie
Tina K
on 2/23/07 10:07 am - Central, NY
I am so happy for you Robin! So close to goal and some promising plastics! Cool! Good, good luck to you and I hope that Tricare forks over the money and covers it ALL. You'll have to let me know because I'll be headed down the plastic road once I loose this last 50 pounds. Size 10 here I come!! Tina
timsdanni
on 2/24/07 5:26 am - Ft Stewart, GA
that is exciting - please please please share what the tri care lady says - I am still not at goal and certianly have not maintained for 6 months yet (my docs requirement) hugs danni
~ Stylz ~
on 2/24/07 6:21 am - North of Boston, MA
I'm so excited for you! I want to be in that same place!! I've been thinking about plastic surgery since before bypass. I always knew I'd have all kinds of skin hanging around once I started losing weight and sure enough, its there... I want to plan for plastics at the end of this year (unless I can get a tummy tuck covered this summer of course)! keep us posted on the process. Does Tricare require an appeal to cover the tummy tuck or its automatically approved after bypass surgery? I heard a rumor Tufts covered a tummy tuck after 18 months post-op, but haven't checked into it as of yet.. good luck with everything
robinsaxton
on 2/25/07 11:06 pm - Columbia, MD
Thanks Stylz. The tummy tuck is a given after WLS for Tricare. The other stuff has to usually be paid for, in full before surgery. That's why I am hoping that Tricare will cover this with the tummy tuck. We simply don't have a lump sum of $$ like that. I really don't want to have to finance this. We will cross that bridge if we ever come to that. I sure hope we don't have to go there. There are other ways of getting the plastics done cheaper through teaching hospitals but I don't even know where to begin to look for a good one that way.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views