Claiming WLS on taxes?

Valerie J.
on 2/19/07 10:51 pm - Casper, WY
Last year before I had my WLS I was told that you can claim the expences for medical on your taxes. (My insurance wouldn't pay so I paid for the surgery myself.) I've kept all reciepts and totaled it up and now that it's time to do my taxes (Turbo Tax) I'm asked the question if I'm sure that this is tax deductable because weight loss expences are NOT tax deductable. Does anyone know and can you direct me to the IRS website that says it can be deducted? I hope I made my question clear. Thanks, Valerie
jennb40
on 2/19/07 11:49 pm - Nashua, NH
Publication 502 for 2006 says you May qualify for a tax break in some cases(as long as it is medicially necessary) - I found this bit of information posted on another board. My accountant said if you have a letter stating it is medically necessary, then it can be deductible - if the expenses are a certain percentage of your income. Wish I knew more, but fortunately my insurance paid everything so it wasn't an issue for me. Good luck....Barbara
~ Stylz ~
on 2/19/07 11:49 pm - North of Boston, MA
I would think under medical deductions on the IRS site you could find information on it. I filed and claimed mine. I didn't pay out of pocket, but there was a program fee as well as all my appt co-pays, medications, etc, etc.. I also put in clothing deductions since I had a TON of clothes that I donated to good will, womens shelter and suitability. hope this helps..
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views