Protein vs. Hunger

jennb40
on 2/19/07 8:18 pm - Nashua, NH
I am going to call my nutritionist and ask this question, but just wanted the opinions of our MARCHers. At my nine-month check up the nutritionist said I was getting enough protein per day, that I didn't need to continue the protein drinks. In my case I was using Unjury powder, mixing it with Simply Smart milk and freezing it for a couple of hours to make a slushee type substance out of it and I loved it. It was like an ice cream break everyday. Anyway, the nutritionist (just can't call her a NUT!) said I was getting enough protein in my meals (usually 70-90 grams of protein), so I quit the protein shakes (slushee...). However, now I seem to be hungry all the time. I am eating way too many nuts and I just need to stop them. I fear I may become a "grazing eater" and I don't want to do that. Do any of you think adding back in the protein shake would make me less hungry? I used to eat the slushee thing about 9:30 - 10:00 in the morning and at one time was also having one in the afternoon. My trigger times seem to be morning - when I think I am the hungriest. I get to work around 6:00 and have my breakfast around 8:00 - lunch at noon and dinner around 5:00. From afternoon on I do fine - always have my NSA fudgesicle sometime after dinner. But right after breakfast until lunch I seem to be starving. Anybody else have this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks, Barbara
miminjoey
on 2/19/07 8:41 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
I am not much help I usually get my 1st meal in of the day around 2 in the afternoon...unless I know I am going to be somwhere without food then I'll eat before I go. So here's my thought....if you are at work already by 6 and are eatting breakfast at 8...how many hours have you already been up before then? heck I'd be hungry too before noon....you've already burn my days worth of calories before lunch! I would add it back in if you notice a BIG change in your hunger it was the right thing to do...if you don't...well there's your answer. It couldn't possible hurt to try it for a week and see what happens. My 2 cents anyway. Mimi
jennb40
on 2/19/07 9:39 pm - Nashua, NH
If I hadn't eaten by 2 in the afternoon - I would probably eat my desk!!!! I don't see how you last that long! I think part of my problem also is sitting in an office - all by myself...and thinking about food!!!! Some days when I am super busy it doesn't happen, but if I find time to - OH...do things like post on here....I seem to get hungry! Think I will try to protein slushee again for a while. Thanks for your input!..Barb
sngglnclos
on 2/19/07 9:23 pm - sw burbs, MN
My Opinion - If it was working and you are getting what you need with food - what the heck is it going to hurt? I say add it back in and see if you feel better! If you do - keep doing it! It isnt' going to hurt
jennb40
on 2/19/07 9:40 pm - Nashua, NH
Thanks for your opinion...looks like maybe I should try this! Barb
Lisa M.
on 2/19/07 9:25 pm - LaGrange, NC
Hi Barbara I get up at 4:30 and eat grits by around 6am. I go to work (I am a teacher) and by the time my kids eat lunch (11:15) I am really hungry. I get hungry b/4 then, but I keep drinking on my water. I get my a lot of water for the day in during that time b/c I am hungry. ALL that said to say, I DO understand the hunger. I am tempted to put something in my mouth at that time, but b/c I already am having problems at nighttime wanting to graze I won't allow it. My 2 cents...it can't hurt to give it a try and see if it breaks the hunger. Especially if you are drinking lots of water during that time and still find the hunger setting in. Don't know if that helps at all!
jennb40
on 2/19/07 9:43 pm - Nashua, NH
I wish I was teaching...even though I might be hungry, you just can't stop in the middle of a class and chow down!!!! I do drink lots of water, but it just seems like I am hungrier all the time and I hate that. I loved those first few months when we were complaining about "having to eat"....those days were pretty good and boy did the weight fly off then! I don't really have too many problems at night time because - like you I get up at 4:30 and by 8:30 - this old woman is tired!!!! I would rather go to sleep than eat - thankfully! Thanks for your opinion.....Barbara
~ Stylz ~
on 2/19/07 9:44 pm - North of Boston, MA
how about adding a shake (slushee) for a week and omitting nuts? When I was eating nuts every day I found my weight standing still (maybe because of all the extra calories) and when I stopped them it seemed to help. How many grams of protein are you getting from nuts a day? maybe the shake could be a substitute. hope this helps ps- when in doubt give Shannon a call, I'm seeing her this Thursday. I called and told her I need an intervention I feel like I'm starting to binge eat.. I know I eat way too fast, but now I feel like I'm beginning to binge on things I shouldn't more and more (mostly carbs like tortilla chips and crackers espically at night)
jennb40
on 2/19/07 10:31 pm - Nashua, NH
I have not bought any more NUTS....none in the house, none in my office drawer...so I am OFF nuts - at least for now...but oh how I love them!!!! And so did my pouch! I am going to give Shannon a call. I also eat too fast - but always have.... Thanks for your opinion....Barb
RebekaA
on 2/20/07 12:30 am - Inland Empire, CA
I agree with Stylz, it might be more about what you've added recently than about stopping the shake. maybe the nuts are a trigger. I know they are for me. I agree tho, if the shake was working for you before I would add it back in, ease up on the nuts and see how you feel I always feel more comfortable when I'm around 90-100 gm of protein anyway. Even tho my Dr. says we only need 60. Since we don't know how much we actually absorb, I like to overshoot.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views