Bye bye gallbladder...hello happy times again!

ooh-lala
on 12/26/06 11:33 am - Great Bend, KS
Thursday morning I am having my gallbladder removed. I have been miserable for the last month! Everything I eat makes me nauseous (I've vomitted more times than I care to recall) and creates intense pain in my upper abdomen. At first I blamed it on the stomach flu, because it is being passed around like crazy in this area. After 12 days, however, I decided it probably wasn't the flu. I finally went to the doctor on 12/12. She ordered an ultrasound to look for gallstones. On 12/15 her nurse told me the results showed I had no gallstones. So the doctor ordered another test....on 12/22 they shot a radioactive dye inside of me and watched my gallbladder fill up and empty on a special camera. This morning the nurse called to tell me the results of that test were normal too! I just started bawling on the phone. I wanted it to be my gallbladder because I knew that was easy to fix. The doctor decided to send me to see a surgeon even though the test results were normal in case he had any ideas on what to look for. The surgeon wanted to see me right away because of the vomiting. So at 3:30 today I met Dr. Arnold. I told him all my symptoms and that the results of my tests, including the ultrasound, were normal. After scratching his head for 20 minutes he suggested I go see my WLS surgeon. Then he said, 'now you had an ultrasound right?" and I said "yes and they told me I don't have gallstones". As I was answering he was flipping through my chart and pulled out a copy of the ultrasound results. The results say my gallbladder is full of stones and even in my bile ducts! The surgeon said there should have been no reason for the 2nd test. The results of the ultrasound indicate I need surgery! I am so glad he took a second look at the results before he sent me away! Laura 381/233/175
Darlene X
on 12/26/06 11:00 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Good luck!!! Its pretty much a minor surgery these days... I still have mine too, because before surgery I had no stones... but I wanna keep an eye on it. Hubby had his out when he had his stricture fixed at 6 months post-op, he felt a ton better afterwards.
Tamara L.
on 12/26/06 11:04 pm - Winston-Salem, NC
Well, congratulations and I'm sorry! I tried to get my surgeon to go ahead and remove my gallbladder at the time of my WLS, but no go on that suggestion. There are overwhelming statistics of gallbladder removals after WLS as a result of the rapid loss of weight. I'm glad the surgeon took a closer look at your test results--it makes you wonder whose test results they were looking at the first time?!?!? God bless with your surgery.....I'm saying a prayer for your speedy recovery. Tamara
RebekaA
on 12/27/06 4:21 am - Inland Empire, CA
Good Lord, you poor thing! Darn doctors! At least they took a second look! Good luck to you. It is very minor, my cousin was out and fine by next day. Hope it's that easy for you too! take care, R
luckycat1
on 12/27/06 7:16 am - Cincinnati, OH
good luck and I am sure as soon as it is gone you will feel better.
Stephanie Smiles
on 12/27/06 10:33 pm - My Town, NH
Laura, I'm thinking about you this morning as you have your surgery. Thank goodness that doctor took a second look! Let us know when you return home! - Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views