Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Meringue Cookies

Darlene X
on 12/12/06 3:15 am - Maricopa, AZ
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Meringue Cookies Just Whites" is 100% dried egg whites that come packaged in a tin and can be found in the baking isle of your grocery store. 3 Tablespoons Just Whites 1/2 Cup Warm Water 1 Cup Splenda 1/4 - 1/2 Teaspoon Peppermint Extract 1 Drop Red Food Color 1/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tarter 6 Finely Crushed Regular Sized Sugar Free Candy Canes 1 3.5 Ounce Bar Sugar Free Dark or Semi-sweet Chocolate Preheat oven to 225 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Add 'Just Whites' to the warm water, break up slightly with a fork and let stand for 2 minutes. Beat on medium speed until the just whites have dissolved and the mixture is frothy. Add the Peppermint extract (I used 1/4 tsp for a very mild flavor) and Cream of Tartar. Increase speed to high and continue to beat, adding the splenda a Tablespoon at a time, until very stiff peaks form. Add one drop of red food coloring if you like Pink! Mix until uniform in color. Add 1/2 of the crushed peppermint candy canes and stir them in. I put them into a heavy zip lock bag and hit them with the end of a wood handled knife. Cut the tip from the corner from a zip lock bag to form a small opening, and fill with meringue mixture. Pipe small dollops of meringue onto the parchment paper, spacing about 1/2 inch apart. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining crushed candy cane and bake for up to 2 hours, or until crisp all the way through. My cookies must have been on the small side because they were done after one hour. I made mine just a little larger than a Hershey's Kiss. Carefully remove the meringue cookies from the parchement. I found it easiest to lift the sheet and sort of gently peel the paper off. The cookies are delicate and easily break if you tug them too hard. Microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds, and stir, returning to the microvave and repeating untill all of the chocolate is melted. Dip the cookie bottoms in the chocolate and sit on waxed paper until the chocolate sets. Store in an air tight container at room temperature. Variation... leave out the peppermint and use vanilla for plain meringues. Also, you can substitute Mint Extract in place of the Peppermint Extract and add minature sugar free chocolate chips to the meringue after stiff peaks have formed. These dont pipe so well so I used a spoon, and took the two hours to bake crisp. For these I used one drop of green food color.
Stephanie Smiles
on 12/12/06 3:54 am - My Town, NH
Chocolate and peppermint might be my favorite combination ever! Thanks for posting this! - Stephanie
Lauren003
on 12/12/06 7:22 am - , NC
This does sound so yum! For Christmas I think I'll buy the premade SF meringue cookies and dip them. Thanks for reminding me about these!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views