OT: A Little Holiday Fun?!

jennb40
on 12/3/06 11:37 pm - Nashua, NH
So the March board has been a little quiet lately, so thought this might be fun - if you want to play along! Just copy and type in your own answers! Barbara 1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate (sugar free of course!) 2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? When the kids were little they got unwrapped Santa presents under the tree and wrapped presents from Mom & Dad! 3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? both, white on the tree inside and colored outside! 4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, I can get a wonderful kiss from hubby without the mistletoe, but might get more with the mistletoe! 5. When do you put your decorations up? I did it Thanksgiving weekend this year - a week before I usually do it, but had so much energy this year, I didn't dread it! 6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? sausage pinwheels...might not have the whole recipe this year! 7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Waiting anxiously for my granddaddy to come over Christmas morning dressed as Santa! We knew it was him, but it was fun pretending we didn't!.....I do miss him so all the time, but Christmas really makes me think about him and he passed away 25 years ago! 8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I figured it out young, but because my sister was retarded and it took a long time before she knew the truth, I had to play along for many years after I knew...I especially hated the Santa pictures when I was 10 years old!!! 9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No, but used to let my kids open just one Christmas Eve - that I picked out for them! 10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Prelit white lights (1200 of them) which make it easier to put up and take down and with mostly homemade ornaments that I made many years ago along with a few bought ones that have special significance. 11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? LOVE it....always lived in TN and never had snow and since I have been in New England - there is lots of snow to love! 12. Can you ice skate? never tried it, but might now...there again, who needs a broken leg?!!! 13. Do you remember your favorite gift: a new bicycle when I was 8, I had an old one that my parents said they would paint and fix up for me, but that Christmas morning I got a bright new shiny one that I wasn't expecting! It came from Santa Claus - the one I didn't believe in at 8 but had to because of my sister! 14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays? being with family and remembering the "reason for the season". We saw The Nativity Story this weekend and that really puts you in the mood. 15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? It used to be homemade fudge...but I am not even going to make it this year...don't need or want the temptation. My favorite and only dessert I have eaten since surgery is "Mama-of-3"'s apple crisp! But I can't fix it too often because it is sooooooo good! 16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with whatever family is around! When my kids were little, we had this tradition - we would go out driving around looking for decorated houses. I made up little anonymous notes that said "we were out riding around and saw your Christmas decorations and we want to thank you for going to such trouble for us all to enjoy". The kids would decide which house got a note and which one didn't and we would leave the notes in the mailbox. Of course we always had Christmas music going on the radio and always stopped for hot chocolate. The kids really looked forward to it and it was lots of fun! 17. What tops your tree? A lighted star. 18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? giving - especially for my grandkids! 19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Joy to the World 20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yum (prior to WLS...yuck now!)
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/06 12:00 am - PA
I wanna play! 1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate 2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps them in santa paper. 3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? None on the house, colored on the tree. 4. Do you hang mistletoe? No 5. When do you put your decorations up? Still not done, too busy!!! 6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Stuffing...any kind...all kinds. 7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: My mom used to let us sleep in the living room with the christmas tree. The tree would be lit all night and I used to wake up in the middle of the night and see the room glowing with the Christmas tree lights. I love it. 8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My parents never even really TRIED to fake santa with us. We never got seperate Santa presents. I don't remember ever believing. I still took pics with santa and stuff though. It was still part of Christmas for me. We were poor, most of our gifts came from the local church or charity group. 9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes! Usually because I can't wait for everyone else to open theirs from me. 10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Colored lights, colorful ornaments, a few homemade ones made by my daughter and me and believe it or not DREIDEL ornaments! Its a way for my hubby to take part in the tree without feeling too guilty. He loves it though he would never admit that to his family... 11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? HATE IT!! I had never even seen snow until I moved here. then it was only a tiny amount. I was excited for about five minutes...then there was this huge accident at the bottom of the mountain road we lived on. Now I'm afriad of it! 12. Can you ice skate? Nope, falling on your butt hurts! 13. Do you remember your favorite gift: A baby doll with her own crib from my godparents. I was four. Then my then 2 year old sister broke the crib by trying to lay in it... 14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays? Family of course 15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? My aunt's candied yams. She used to make me my own pan! She's already told my mom she's making a big pan for me. My mom had to explain that I couldn't have them. She uses Red hots (the candy) in her recipe!!! I'll miss them, but a taste would probably send me to the ER!! 16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to my grandmother's house and seeing my 11 aunts and uncles, their spouses, my 30-something cousins, and now THEIR children. Needless to say, we have to visit in shifts! 17. What tops your tree? A star. 18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving - I get so excited for everyone to see what I got them. 19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? What child is this? 20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yuck, never liked them.
Mama-of-3
on 12/4/06 3:58 am - Philadelphia area, PA
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? EGG NOG!!!!!! 2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa leaves one toy unwrapped under the tree, the rest are wrapped. 3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? BOTH! 4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope 5. When do you put your decorations up? Thanksgiving weekend. The house is done and it looks gorgeous. People stop by the outside to take a peek and my husband loves every second of it! 6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? EXCLUDING DESSERT? No such thing! 7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Going to grandmas for a holiday party then looking for santa in the sky on the way home. 8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? You mean there IS NO SANTA? I dont believe that for one minute!!!!! THERE IS A SANTA, THERE IS A SANTA!! 9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? The kids each get one gift for christmas. This year we are buying eachother special ornaments and that is what we will open Christmas eve. For example. Makenzee is in love with elephants, OBSESSED (she has millions) anyway....she also loves Ballet so we got her an elephant ornament dressed as a ballerina. VERY CUTE!! I'm still looking for a pencil for Brytnee. That silly girl has a crazy collection of pencils. Yup, just call her a nerd. I need a tractor trailer for my husband and a football ornament for my son. 10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? We have a gorgeous prelit tree with both white lights and colored lights. Since i'm crafty, alot of my ornaments have been hand made (mostly rustic, country type) 11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I LOVE IT. I dont enjoy driving in it though. 12. Can you ice skate? I think I can. I've only ice skated once but if I can roller blade, Im sure I can ice skate. I might just have to give it a try this year. 13. Do you remember your favorite gift: Yes, my easy bake oven. I wish I still had it. My little one asked for one for Christmas. Cant wait to eat those half baked by a light bulb brownies! LOL 14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays? Having my family and friends happy and healthy. 15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? My ONLY dessert is my apple crisp. =) Dang, gonna make some tonight. 16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? We dont have many traditions, but on Christmas eve we always sit in anticipation of Santa coming down the neighborhood in the fire truck giving out candy canes. They make such a racket but it's GREAT! And on Christmas day we always play family games. 17. What tops your tree? A beautiful angel on my large living room tree, a snowman angel on my upstairs landing tree, a silver star in my smaller living room tree, and two bows on the two trees in my kitchen. Can you tell I like Christmas trees? LOL They are all themed, mostly snowmen. =) 18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? I'm a giver. I give to everyone. 19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Anything by Tran Siberian Orchestra (especially Christmas Canon) *also my ring tone on my phone* AND I want a hippopatamus for Christmas. 20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!!
Stephanie Smiles
on 12/4/06 3:37 pm - My Town, NH
I'll play! 1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Cocoa is the best! 2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps them at my house and puts little notes on them. 3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White lights outside and colored lights on the tree. 4. Do you hang mistletoe? Not on a regular basis. I don't seem to lack for kisses! 5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually the first weekend in December 6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Cranberry stuffing! 7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Sleeping under the tree with my brother on the first night it was up. 8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My parents didn't believe in Santa and therefore I did not grow up with Santa. But, I believe now! 9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes, we open one gift on Christmas Eve before going to bed. 10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Colored lights, homeade and accumulated ornaments from over the years and gold beads to fini**** off. 11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love snow, just don't like driving in it. 12. Can you ice skate? I am a klutz. I've never tried it but if it is anything like skiing, roller blading or roller skating I'm better off watching from afar! 13. Do you remember your favorite gift: an instamatic camera when I was 12. It was such a surprise! 14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays? Hanging out with my family and remembering how lucky I am to have them in my life. 15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Apple-Cranberry Pie. I love to make it AND eat it. I can still eat a small piece with cool whip! Yum! 16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas Eve with my husband and step-son. We always have a nice dinner at home, play Christmas music and engage in battles of cribbage, Sorry or Trivial Pursuit. It's quiet time for the three of us and I love every minute of it! 17. What tops your tree? A star. 18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? I love them both! 19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I'll Be Home for Christmas. I can't imagine being anywhere else! 20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I love anything that is minty. I wouldn't dream of eating a candy cane now, but I will have candy cane herbal tea!
~ Stylz ~
on 12/5/06 12:50 am - North of Boston, MA
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I'm not a huge fan of either, but if I have hot chocolate I like minty dark hot chocolate.. mmmmmmmmm 2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa no longer stops at the house (no kids)! but they were wrapped when I was a kid! 3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? white lights 4. Do you hang mistletoe? YES (at my boyfriends house)! I love how cute it is, usually takes me a while to find it, but when I do its up til January 1st. 5. When do you put your decorations up? This year it was Thanksgiving weekend. Usually its a week or 2 before Christmas (just like the shopping, yes I'm a last minute shopper, but I take one day and get it all done) 6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? My aunts chicken dish. We call it "Val's Chicken" because her name is Val. Its shredded chicken (whole breasts cooked in boiling water for an hour until it falls off the bone), mixed with 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 1 container sour cream, topped with breadcrumbs and baked for 30 min at 350 (easy and delish). I tried it when I was 3 months post op but it didn't agree with me. Maybe now that I'm further out I'll be ok with a little of it. One day I plan to make it using ff or low fat ingredients! 7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: going to NYC to see the Nutcracker and Christmas Spectacular 8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I think my sister or cousin told me! I remember being in her room and talking about Santa when they said, dont tell anyone I told you but there is no Santa! I think I was 6 and devistated that there was no more Santa meaning less presents under the tree 9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? we open all our gifts on Christmas Eve! First we have dinner. My family is French Canadian so we have 2 dishes one called poutines (poo -tins) and the other is a meat pie. Poutines look like a wet snowball, theres meat in the center and grated potato on the outside. After dinner, we open gifts. When I was a kid we would open 1 gift on Christmas Eve and then the rest Christmas morning, but one year after opening gifts, more family members arrived, more gifts were opened and a pair of earrings were thrown out when someone threw out all the wrapping paper. After that year, we all opened gifts christmas eve from the immediate family and christmas day from the extended family! 10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? White lights, red bows and white globe orniments made with red trim that my aunt made. My father passed away almost 8 years ago, my aunt took roses from the arrangements and put them in the globes. She has such talent, they're beautiful and a good way to keep him with us during the holidays. 11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? LOVE IT BARB? Can I ask you that again after the 12th snow fall during the month of march?? I HATEEEEEE the snow and the winter!!! I'd rather be in 80 degree climate year round, I've seen enough snow fall to last me a lifetime, wind chills are blistery, ice, slippery roads and the worst part... you can't wear cute shoes! 12. Can you ice skate? I use to as a kid, but that was years ago!! would I try it again, yes at an ice rink! ponds are too rigid, no need to fall espically now with less padding! 13. Do you remember your favorite gift? As a kid... 150 piece kitchen set. Plates, cups, utensils, tea pot.. you name it, it was in there! (should have noticed the downward spiral starting then ) As an adult... last year I got a burberry charm bracele****ch! 14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays? spending time with family and friends! 15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? (was) Godiva Truffles!!! this year I'll have to start a new tradition with a Godiva SF disc assortment! 16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Spending time with family, meeting with friends while on vacation and opening gifts with my family 17. What tops your tree? an angel 18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? I like giving, but love receiving! I always tell my boyfriend I like BIG presents! 19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Sugar Plum Fairy (Nutcracker) and Silent Night 20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? yuck, can't say I'm a fan!
miminjoey
on 12/5/06 9:46 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate (sugar free of course!) 2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? wrapped but in completly different paper...because the kids help wrap other presents 3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? white inside colored outside 4. Do you hang mistletoe? No 5. When do you put your decorations up? most year 1 week of Dec this year we aren't we are moving Dec 23 to TN 6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? sausage balls 7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: the year I got the winking cowgirl Barbie, the year my Mom saved to buy me a $40 pair of boots when we barely had enough to pay the bills 8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I figured it out young, but because my sister was retarded and it took a long time before she knew the truth, in my case it is my brother and shhhhs santa still comes since he lives with me now. 9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? of course 1 10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? wow...use to be it looked like one in the stores so perfect now that I have kids...all the ornametns in one spot at the bottom half of the tree with handmade ornaments by the kids 11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? LOVE it....always lived in TN and always had snow and since I have been in TX haven't seen any! 12. Can you ice skate?of course! 13. Do you remember your favorite gift: those $40 boots mentioned above they were green, brown and blue and tied up and then had 2 buckles on the side went with everything and lasted for years 14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays? being a family and lovin being in that family 15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? ummm all of it...no not true anything without nuts 16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? making magic reindeer food and putting it out the night before and making homemade cookies for santa and watching hubby drink the milk because he hates milk but you know santa has to wash them downn 17. What tops your tree? a snowman 18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? BOTH! 19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? UGH I hate Christmas music so I guess White Christmas for regular music...when I was a kid..Away in a Manger 20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yum
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views