Can you guys tell me...re: counseling

A_brand_new_me
on 11/20/06 9:52 am - NC
I am hoping someone can give me some insight here. I am 1-2 pounds from goal and loving my new body. However, I am already paranoid about regaining and sabotaging my hard work. I have found myself reverting to an old bad habit. I find that on occasion I will eat something just because it is there, it tastes good or it is the last piece...not because I am hungry. Actually sometimes I am full, but I eat it anyway. I am worried about stretching my pouch and getting back to other bad habits. I think it would be good for me to see a counselor of some sort to help me work through these food issues. My question is: who do I see? How do I find someone who specializes in (or has knowledge of ) food issues? Thanks, Susan 3/23/06 5'3" 242/231/142/140
luckycat1
on 11/20/06 10:49 am - Cincinnati, OH
Your surgeon might know of someone who deals with eating disorders. If not contact your insurance company or if you work some companies have an EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) that you can call and they can get you started. Good luck. MJ
RebekaA
on 11/20/06 2:19 pm - Inland Empire, CA
That is a great question. I wish I had some specific answers for you! I would suggest starting with your insurance co. Ask about seeing someone about "eating disorders," overeating or compulsive overeating fall under that. Try that and go from there, see what they tell you. Otherwise I would look for an Eating Disorder Recovery Center. I'd love to hear how this turns out... I think it's great you are being proactive about this and seeking to nip it in the bud before it becomes a real problem. I've sworn to myself I will do the same thing--find a weight/food shrink, if I see my old patterns emerging too! Congratulations on making it to goal!!! What an amazing job you've done! All the best to you! Rebeka 284/261/177/150
Stephanie Smiles
on 11/22/06 7:12 pm - My Town, NH
Hi Susu. First, congratulations on your success! You're doing so well! Secondly, for me, the most important piece of my choice in a counselor is whether or not I actually like him/her. I need to feel comfortable talking to this person about absolutely anything. I also need to be able to be completely honest. I was lucky in that I really liked the woman who performed my psych evaluation and I decided to continue to see her once a month after surgery just to help with the head stuff. She's been amazing. She doesn't specialize in food issues but she is covered by my insurance. I checked her credentials and asked her questions such as: How long have you been practicing? What's your therapy philosophy? What do you expect from me during sessions? Mainly, it was just a feeling of connection. Best of luck. These food issues are tough to work through but we can do it! - Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views