Size 12 is Fat???

Stephanie Smiles
on 11/8/06 12:04 am - My Town, NH
So I was flipping around last night on the television and came across Entertainment Tonight. They were previewing a segment that apparently begins this evening. One of their staff will don a wig, "fat" suit and "ugly" herself up and then walk the streets of New York City. In the description, they said that she would be a size 12. Ummm...a size 12 is fat??? My goal size is a 12. Yikes! What size does the average woman need to wear to be considered thin? Or healthy? These kinds of experiments really irritate me. The participants don't really learn much. After all, they get to return to their thin, beautiful selves. But what concerns me the most is that a size 12 is portrayed as fat. Perhaps she is not very tall. I know that I intend to look darn good in a size 12 when I get there! Thanks for allowing me to rant a bit! The link is below if you are interested. http://www.etonline.com/celebrities/spotlight/37691/index.html Stephanie
Darlene X
on 11/8/06 12:46 am - Maricopa, AZ
Funny you posted this... just yesterday I was on a PCOS forum I frequent, and the owner posted that she had been contacted by a reporter who wanted some questions answered dating as a plus size peron.. size 12+... Everyone asked the same question, since when did been a size 12 make you fat???? or cause dating issues???? This world is messed up....
Stephanie Smiles
on 11/8/06 3:40 am - My Town, NH
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks a size 12 is "normal"! I hope I don't consider myself plus sized when I'm a size 12. I agree...the world is a huge body image mess! - Stephanie
Darlene X
on 11/8/06 3:54 am - Maricopa, AZ
Heck size 12 is my goal pants size!!! Although I am tall, and large framed... so I apparently look smaller than I really am, I guess because it spreads out much better with the height.... so a 12 on me would look "normal"
jennb40
on 11/8/06 1:20 am - Nashua, NH
I saw that also Stephanie...think they said she was only 5'1", but I can't believe that so many people were snickering at her because of the way she looked. They might have been snickering because of the silly way she was carrying herself and making facial contortions....who knows? But when I get to a size 12 - if that ever happens- I will be glad with 16....I will be jumping for joy!!!! I think I will tune in tonight and see how it plays out! Have fun next week on your trip - be safe and hurry back to us! Barbara
Stephanie Smiles
on 11/8/06 3:43 am - My Town, NH
Hi Barbara. Thanks for clearing up the height issue. I wondered if she was shorter. A size 12 on a 5'1" woman might be considered plus sized. I just think they should clarify that. Or, why even mention the size at all??? We have enough bombardment with sizes and weight ranges! I'll be thinking of you guys while having tea in London! It will be full of work but I do hope to sneak in a museum or two. Plus a little shopping! Rest assured that I will jump for joy with you WHEN you reach that size 16! - Stephanie
RebekaA
on 11/8/06 2:05 am - Inland Empire, CA
Rant away Stephanie! I saw that story too. It's so stupid considering it's well documented that the AVERAGE and majority of women are a size 10-12!!!
Stephanie Smiles
on 11/8/06 3:45 am - My Town, NH
Rebecca, whew...I'm so glad that the majority of women fit into that category instead of the size 2 category. Do you notice that these experiments are seldom performed with men? It's seems that it is always a woman who puts on the fat suit and receives the ugly makeover. Maybe we are tougher on ourselves and other women than men are. I think I'll ask for a shot of testosterone the next time I visit my doctor! - Stephanie
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/06 3:34 am - PA
Ugh... and they wonder why people are starving themselves to death...? I had a co-worker go to one of those modeling casting calls. They told her she had a chance as a plus sized model. She was a size 8!!! No wonder alot of the crap I ordered from Plus size catalogs didn't look as good on me as the models... Kathy
Stephanie Smiles
on 11/8/06 3:48 am - My Town, NH
Size 8 is a plus sized model??? Now my dream of being a model will NEVER be fulfilled!!!! Oh well, what's a girl to do? I guess I better keep studying so that I have something else to fall back on! - Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views