Why Hello Mr Hunger

Darlene X
on 11/7/06 3:51 am - Maricopa, AZ
Is Hunger a male or a female? LOL... Mr or Mrs Hunger? Anyway... Ive noticed a big appetite increase again... happened at 5 months post-op, now again around 8 months post-op..... my hunger is actually returning... I wasnt the slightest bit hungry for the longest time... now I am eyeing up the clock for the next time to eat.... portions are increasing too... I think its about time I kick up the sizes of my good foods, proteins etc... Its scary.... Even though I know it's normal... it still scary. Ive been keeping a closer eye on my calories the last few days, still only around 1000-1100... I think I need to drop back about 100 calories in snack type stuff, and increase 100 calories of chicken or a dense protein... satisfy that growly pouch! The last 2 days Ive actually enjoyed a sandwich and can eat the whole thing.... though its only 1 small slice of 9 grain bread with meat, cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato.. It's totally hitting the spot and very yummy.... just seems like too much.... then I laugh cause before hand I would eat like 4 slices of bread made into sandwiches, chips, potato salad, a big soda.... that puts things in perspective.... Anyway Im mostly rambling... Im bored at work.... Anyone else having an increase in appetite? Freaking you out a little? Darlene
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/06 4:12 am - PA
My appetite actually came back at around 3 months. I can also eat a much larger amount at a sitting. I have to watch out for breads though. I CRAVE sandwiches with lettuce and tomato and all that, but about 10 minutes after the last bite, that bread just SITS there and makes me miserable. You are right, its normal. Plus before I would have eaten a double whopper with cheese, fries and a large Dr. Pepper OR a SuperSonic jalapeno burger (double meat double cheese), a large order of onion rings and a large grape slushie. Then I would have had desert. Funny that sounds sooo decadent now, but I ate like that for lunch EVERY SINGLE DAY. Then add a large breakfast and dinner to that and a pint of ice cream for a late night snack....Ugh. Hmmmm, and I wondered why I felt so miserable before? Good thing we have this tool. It helps us to keep control over our food demons, even when our appetite increases. Upping the protien and cutting back on the carbs helps tremendously. I've even cut back on SF items because they cause my cravings to spike...even protien bars! Kathy
Stephanie Smiles
on 11/7/06 4:17 am - My Town, NH
Yup, right there with ya! I'm having to force myself to wait until 3:00 p.m. every day to have either my piece of fruit (pear today) or my protein bar. I try not to the eat the protein bar more than three times each week due to their high caloric value. A few months ago I wouldn't have even wanted an afternoon snack. Can you imagine that my nutritionist told me I should cut back on my protein last week???? I think she really is nuts! Sometimes I wonder how much they really know about bariatric nutrition. I'm getting around 90 grams of protein each day. She said I should cut back on protein and eat more vegetables. Ugh! I think that if I do cut back on my protein, I'll really be hungry! Plus, aren't I getting my necessary nutrients from my vitamins? Sometimes this process is so confusing! My portions are larger too. But, like you, I'm still averaging between 1000 and 1100 calories per day. I had salmon last night for dinner. It was soooo good that I could have easily had seconds. I didn't, but I seriously considered it. If you're bored...wanna do my homework? - Stephanie
Darlene X
on 11/7/06 4:25 am - Maricopa, AZ
What kind of homework? I have like 4 hours left of work and its dead quiet.... send it my way LOL
Stephanie Smiles
on 11/7/06 4:46 am - My Town, NH
Group Dynamics and Art History. You can have them both! I'm trying to complete two weeks worth of work in one because I am traveling next week. Ugh!
BabyRuth2u
on 11/7/06 4:40 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Yes most definately! I have had a few days lately as you said you are clock watching for the next meal. I was getting where I'd eat and then an hour later being saying "Im hungry". I think you are right about the perspective thing though, I think the amount we are eating now we think is so much and that we are over eating but in reality we are not? LOL You can see I use a ? mark I must not be too sure. LOL But as you said, its one slice of bread, protein and veggies, not bad as you said considering in the past you said you would ahe basically eaten two whole sandwiches. I think we just got used to the smaller portions and anything above that we feel like we ar eeating alot, being bad, cheating or whatever. I snack on protein, not junk but I still feel its bad and too much. I have been doing better today. Trying to work on the snacking. I did make my 64 oz of water yesterday, still have a little to go yet today to get there. But definately the increased appetites are here, and we have to deal with them. Don't lose the fight! Have a great evening!
miminjoey
on 11/7/06 10:02 am - Fort Bragg, NC
you can send it my way i haven't eatten crap in nearly 2 weeks...just can't get the umph to eat Mimi
robinsaxton
on 11/7/06 11:28 pm - Columbia, MD
Sounds like we are all in the same boat...except for Mimi. Last week was just horrible. I was eating every chance I got. I mean I would eat and an hour later I was ready to eat again. I never went over 1200 cals a day but still. I just don't want to be feeling that hungry all the time. I seem to have leveled off now. The hunger isn't as bad this week. I have been craving carbs lately so I am trying to cut way back on fruit and little bites of carbs here and there. The last two nights I enjoy a really good grilled porkchop and a steak. MMM. They were so good. I took about a 6 oz piece of steak last night, eyes bigger than my stomach I had to give about 2 oz to my hubby. So I guess I am still well restricted in the amounts I can eat. It does worry me but I do try and remind myself that now I am eating "normal". I think it's a great habit to write it all down, all the time. Keeps me in check. Hugs, Robin
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views