What is your multi-vitamin?

jennb40
on 9/21/06 9:21 pm - Nashua, NH
I have been taking Centrum daily vitamins for years. When I had my 6-month check up the only blood work that showed a slight potential problem was my iron count. It is supposed to be between 35 and 150 and mine was 49, it was 55 at my 3-month check up. My surgeon told me to check my multi-vitamin and see if it had iron in it. We take the Centrum Silver and sure enough - no iron. My surgeon said he might add a supplement if at 9-months my iron level was still on the low side. So I think in advance of that time, I will begin to take a multi-vitamin that does have iron in it and I was wondering what you guys take in the way of a multi-vitamin. Do you get your multi-vitamins at a health food store? I have been told that Centrum is "chemically" produced rather than "naturallly" produced, but don't know that for a fact or if that makes any difference or not. All this vitamin stuff is confusing! So if you have any suggestions - let me know. Those of you that have had your 6-month blood work - what was your iron levels??? Thanks, Barbara
jmelrod829
on 9/21/06 10:01 pm - Pottsville, PA
I don't go for my 6 month until I am almost 7 monts *Grrrr* but the Vitamins I take have Chelated minerals to help us better absorb them. I get mine from Vitamin World. I use their brand it is an Adult Chewable and not too bad. I take 2 a day per my surgeon and nutritionist if that helps. WTG on good bloodwork!!! Jennifer 355/245/150
BabyRuth2u
on 9/21/06 10:18 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Barbara, I haven't had my bloodwork yet. I think I may go get it done in the morning. I've had the script for two weeks just haven't got there. Shame on me. Anyways... My multi does have iron in it, but I also take additional iron. Add'l iron is on my vitamin list from my surgeons office. I had thought it funny, or that it sounded like you did not take add'l iron when you posted your results before. But that number is on the low side and I would not only take a vitamin that has iron in it, or keep taking what you do take, but I'd get a iron supplement to take. From my understanading carbonyl iron is the best type to take. And taking iron with protein and or vitamin c helps it absorb better. I take what's called TenderIron. I get it from vitalady.com It was recommened by someone, its gentle, doesnt cause constipation. The thing with it though is that you need to take more than one, it all depends on how many cm's you were bypassed. Ie: I checked with my surgeon and I am 150 cm bypassed so I take 6 a day of these iron. They can be taken all at once. Good luck on getting the iron up. Do something now! You don't want to have to get an iron tranfusion/infusion whatever its called!! I'll post as soon as I get my results. I have been curious, but lazy and didnt get them done yet. Have a great day.
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/06 10:25 pm - PA
I haven't received the results from my bloodwork yet - my six month appontment is next week - but I take the Optisource bariatric vitamins. They have everything in them and are made specially for WLS patients. They are chewable and you take 4 a day. You can buy them at Walgreens or online at Walgreens.com. There is still a chance I might need to supplement, but I won't know for sure until next week. Kathy
miminjoey
on 9/21/06 11:01 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
I would too...I noticed the one I was taking did not have much iron in it and at 3 months mine was low so that added iron to my list I switched my vitamin instead and my blood work was fine this time....I am not sure of my numbers...they said if it was normall I would not get a call Monday...and well it's a week later and no call and Tuesday I had my well woman and the doc said looke like you had a bunch of labs done they all look good...so I guess I am in the normal range.
~ Stylz ~
on 9/22/06 12:24 am - North of Boston, MA
morning Barbara, I've been taking Viactiv multi vitamin chew everyday since Shannon said they were ok! I think I saw a commercial where they have a mint one now, but I've been taking the chocolate one (theres a cherry one too). Its like a little caramel chew, good taste and one less pill I have to swallow hope all is well!
Darlene X
on 9/22/06 12:54 am - Maricopa, AZ
I take a generic Walgreen's brand Multi w/ iron. They are tiny pills, so great and very easy to swallow If you want iron, Ive heard Vita Lady's Tender Iron is really great stuff....
Sondra J. S.
on 9/22/06 4:38 am - Show Low, AZ
I'm funny I guess, I take flintstones with Iron, my PCP just put me on neonatal vitamins prescription because of my iron levels....NO I'm not expecting lol.... not pregnant....Would be nice, but not a good idea right now.... But I take Flintstones with Iron and have since the surgery, just started the prenatal ones last week Sondra
kimbaby74
on 9/22/06 4:37 am - Western, KY
It sounds like I'm the only one on children's vitamins! My doctor says I'll never swallow a pill larger than a baby asprin (his orders, not because I physically can't.) So I've been taking Flinstone Chewables with Iron. At three months my iron was a little low, so they told me to get the Multi with Iron. I haven't had my six month appt yet, so we shall see. They did draw blood at five months but never called me to say if anything was low. (I've been having potassium issues and have had to go once a month since surgery.) So, that's what my vitamin is! Kim
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/22/06 4:57 am - My Town, NH
Hi Barbara. I've been taking the generic Centrum Women's formula multi-vitamin. I don't know if it includes iron or not. I also take 65 mgs of elemental iron every day in the form of Ferro Sequels. Then I add 500 mgs of chewable Vitamin C to help that iron absorb more easily. My bariatric program requires me to take the iron as long as I am menstruating. My iron levels were fine at my four month check-up. We'll see how they fare at the next one. , Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views