Anyone else having problems with headaches and sluggishness?

dajohnson50
on 9/18/06 1:17 am - Summerville, SC
Hi, For the past couple of weeks I have been feeling miserable. No energy, headaches, and body aches. I went for my 6 month check up last week and they did blood work but haven't heard anything yet. I went to my MD and he diagnosed me with stress headaches and gave me muscle relaxers that I don't take unless I absolutely have to.. I am concerned that this might be due to the weight loss so wondering if anyone else is feeling like this? I take a vitamin every day but until recently I don't think I was getting my protein in like I should. I am trying to eat as healthy as I can with what I can eat since I have a problem with dumping anything with any amt of sugar (including fruit). I used to be an ice cream/sweet addict which is what caused me to become obese. I still have a sugar free ice cream bar occassionally. I am hoping that the blood work finds something. Tests were done last Thursday and he said he would not call unless they found something wrong. Again, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Deb
Darlene X
on 9/18/06 1:21 am - Maricopa, AZ
Ive noticed a lot of headaches lately... not sure why, but Im pretty sure it's related to dehydration for me... Ive been struggling for a month or so with fluids, and I know my body is dehydrated.... As for energy... are you taking B-12? Either low B-12 or Iron will do that to you. Maybe you want to consider a B-12 & iron suppliment.
BabyRuth2u
on 9/18/06 1:23 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Deb I have been having a lot of headaches lately. Otherwise I feel fine, my energy is fine, no aches or anything. I have been contributing the headaches to tension, sitting sometimes here on the computer too long so think it affects my head/neck area. Or some days because Im not eating for long periods of time. I am doing protein shakes but most days eat nothing until 2pm or so. I'm going to plan to eat earlier today! And just the weather change too I think is causing them. I do feel some sinus pressure at times. So maybe you are getting a cold? Being affected by weather change? I didnt look before clicking reply whre you were from so dont know how your weather is, but here its been colder in the mornings etc and Im starting to feel stuffy in the morn. Hope your tests all come back good and that you feel better soon. Keep the protein going, the water and be sure you're getting your B-12. What about iron, taking that?
dajohnson50
on 9/18/06 1:43 am - Summerville, SC
Thanks guys No I do not take B-12 or iron. I was not told to take those from my surgeon. He seemed to be more concerned with calcium citrate than anything. Also he doesn't have the best bedside manner. When he sees me I am lucky he is in the room for more than a minute when I have my appts. BUT he is the best surgeon in South Carolina. I know that from the very quick recovery I had and everyone else that hears that he was my surgeon says I had the best. I know they tested for B-12 and iron in my blood work. Instead of waiting though, I will start taking these supplements as I know they can only do good. As for the headaches.. I take Zyrtec now for allergies. I don't think I am getting a cold. My job involves me being on a computer all day and have been doing this for quite some time (about 23 years now). I thought about getting a massage to see if it helps with the headaches but haven't done that yet. Thanks again. I am so glad I am working on keeping up with the forum. You are all great and so helpful Thank you Debbie
jennb40
on 9/18/06 1:55 am - Nashua, NH
So sorry Deb you aren't feeling well. I just had my 6-month check up and my iron count was 49 - normal is 35-150 and my surgeon said if it was still low at my 9-month blood work - they might want to put me on a supplement. However, with that said, I am not tired and don't have headaches for which I am thankful. I did start taking an iron supplement every other day just to try to build it up a bit, but they say taking iron can be constipating and I don't want that. I take a B-12 sublingual tablet that you dissolve under your tongue - once a week - but there again my B-12 count on the blood work was in the very normal range. Hopefully you will hear if you are missing something when your blood results are read. Hope you feel better. Hugs, Barbara
RebekaA
on 9/18/06 2:12 am - Inland Empire, CA
Hi Debra, I was feeling VERY sluggish for the last few months and last week I suddenly felt better. The only thing I did different was change my multi. I got one with Iron in it and I upped my water. Is it possible you're dehydrated? Sluggishness and headaches are both symptoms of that. I used to get headaches everyday before surgery. I also took muscle relaxers and they helped a lot. Why are you hesitant to take them? I would just take them, chances are once you get rid of them, you shouldn't have to take the muscle relaxers anymore. Wow, I can't believe they don't have you on B-12! I'm no dr. but I would go get some right away! Make sure they are sublingual b/c we don't absorb them otherwise. B-12 is pretty benign so you should be fine adding it even if they didn't tell you to. I know every dr is different, but that seems like a big oversight on their part! I hope you find something that helps! Keep us posted. Take care.
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/18/06 4:32 am - My Town, NH
Hi Deb. I'll echo everyone else and recommend the B12. I take mine orally. 500 mcg once per day. I would ask your doctor about this and just see what he says. My nutritionist said that it can take up to a year for a B12 deficiency to show up. I hope you feel better very soon! - Stephanie
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/06 4:36 am - PA
Hi! You should come on over to the SC board every once in a while. There are alot of Dr. Byrne's patients on there that you could talk to. Alot of them are a year or more out. They have a informal support group that meets on Thursdays. Dr. Bour is my surgeon. He is a fabulous doctor. His program includes lifetime use of a nutritionist and psychologist. I was also having a problem with sluggishness and was able to have the nutritionist evaluate my diet. He made me put my protien shakes back in. Since then I have also added a B-12 supplement. You cannot overdose on B-12, your body will eliminate the excess. I was told to wait on the iron until after I received my lab results. I got the bloodwork done this weekend and I should know the results at my 6 month follow up appointment next week. Either way, I hope you feel better soon. Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/06 9:16 pm
Sorry to hear that you havent been feeling that well. I too have had numerous headaches which I usually only get once a year but here lately, I have been getting them at least twice per week. I was actually starting to wonder what is going on. I take Solary High Energy twice daily with iron, an iron supplement, my b12, prescript of Vit D, Bone Power and still on my protein drinks. I kept thinking it was because of the pressure in the air with the change of the seasons. I dont know yet what it is if anything but hope that you start to feel better soon. Otherwise, I am so fully of energy and feel good. Hungry all the darn time and it is getting harder and harder to fight but that is why I am here. Take care, Dee
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views