Anyone else NOT dump?

RebekaA
on 9/16/06 10:49 am - Inland Empire, CA
Am I the only one who doesn't dump? I feel so cheated. Not only does sugar not make me dump, I already feel like I can eat too much. I still measure my food (which I know we should anyway....) but I am so paranoid that I'll slip back into old ways and have no portion control I'm afraid to not to. I had hoped my pouch would be a better monitor so I would finally be able to relax a little after years of obssessing over weighing and measuring all my food (with little results,) but I don't think that's going to happen. I do feel full, but not everytime I eat. It has me a little worried. I read all the time about people getting full on "one or two bites" and that's so not me! And I wi**** were. I feel almost like I can eat like a normal person already! I just feel like I have almost no restrictions or "benefits" from the pouch and I was hoping for so much more. I can eat bread and pasta, don't dump on sugar--sometimes I wonder if I even had the surgery!!! Before you blast me, I am sticking to the rules and I low carb, I haven't binged, but I have tried carbs and sugar. I'm just thinking ahead to when we're out of our honeymoon phases and success rests more squarely on US, and I'm just SCARED of failing. I just expected this to be a lot different that what it has turned out to be for me. Am I the only one??? Sorry guys, guess I'm having a bad week Rebeka 284/261/192/150
Darlene X
on 9/16/06 11:06 am - Maricopa, AZ
Ive never dumpeed, tolerate sugar, any kind just fine... Hubby and I call it "The Iron Pouch"... he is the same way. Your not alone. Darlene
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/06 11:40 am - Remington, VA
Rebeka, Nope, you're definitely not alone. Except for the part on mesauring I could have written your post verbatim! I've never been a measurement person though. I eat til I'm satisfied, which sometimes is more then others. It's weird. If it weren't for a continual downward trend via the scale I would seriously be doubting I had surgery myself! My loss hasn't been as great as others, but it's slow and sure. As of the 14th, I was 6 months out, 58 lbs. down and 30 inches gone. I do feel great, and try not to focus on anything but the here and now. BUt I worry too, about the long term! My mom is 7 years out, still dumps, and when she eats the wrong thing or too fast--or whatever-- it still gets stuck! So she has the results you and I had heard about and hoped for. This makes it doubly frustrating for me! She's done very well. To this day she's only gained back about 10 lbs. So I can't offer much advice, just consolation in the company of the same worries! You have done very well, keep it up! Kirsten
RebekaA
on 9/17/06 5:31 am - Inland Empire, CA
Kristin, Thanks for your reply. I just read your profile and found it so uplifiting and positive! You're amazing! I love that you kept fighting until you were approved. You look great and are doing an awesome job! I look forward to continuing on this journey with you and our continued successes! take care.
Mary M.
on 9/16/06 1:01 pm - Livonia, MI
I haven't ever dumped but I haven't tried anything yet that is more than 5 gms. of sugar. I can tolerate a small amound of whole grain breads and I have eaten a couple of noodles but I am doing the low carb thing like you. With putting protein first it hasn't been hard to get full on protein and have not room left for many carbs. You are doing great so it really is working for you and you must be feeling good since you aren't sick all the time. I'm with you on the being scared for the end of the honeymoon phase. I too am afraid of failing. I am not losing like a lot of other, I am down 70 in 6 months, but I do feel good so I won't complain about the slower loss. I am eating right and exercising so I am trying to keep positive. Sorry you are having a bad week, I do hope it gets better for you. Keep up the good work! (aka hard work) Good Luck, Mary
jomamma
on 9/16/06 3:04 pm - Palmdale, CA
You are not alone. I still think the doctor did not do the surgery, it was all a hoax so I would think he did it!! I dont eat much sugar, but when I do I have never dumped. I eat pasta and brown rice and it goes down just fine. EVERYTHING goes down just fine!! I dont think I lose as fast as others (72 since surgery) but I am very happy. I went from extremely obese to "obese" to "overweight". So I know deep down Im doing great, but it does worry me that I dont dump on sugar. But like you, I havent tried high amounts of sugar so maybe I will dump then. GOOD LUCK and ALL your thoughts and feelings are normal!!
Mama-of-3
on 9/16/06 9:06 pm - Philadelphia area, PA
Rebeka, I dont dump either! Well at least I dont think I do..HAHA I dont eat sugar at all. I'm so terrified of throwing up that I just wont do it. Last night at dinner out with friends, I took a SLIVER and I mean hardly a taste of my friends desert and I was paranoid about that! I dont eat more than 5 grams of sugar at a time. I do fine with EVERYTHING else though. I keep hearing veterans say the following....."slow and steady wins the race. =)" Besides, the faster you lose the more wobbly skin you'll have. I certainly dont want that, so I'll take the slower route. Have a great day beautiful girl, dont you worry at all about your surgery, we all have the same thoughts and it is working for all of us, just at different rates. Trish
BabyRuth2u
on 9/16/06 11:45 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
To what degree of dumping do you refer? In a general sense I would say I do not dump. I do not or have not gotten the stomach cramping, the diahhrea kind of thing. I have though on more than one occaison felt like crap for a bit after eating lets say some Chinese (one place we've gone to does it to me, another doesnt), I tried some cream cheese once and felt aweful for awhile. What I get is a 15 min or so episode of feeling tired, a little warm and just kind of crappy. But I've never gotten the full blown, I have to lay down for hours, run to the bathroom cramping type. I also have not pushed the sugar thing. I only recently ate a 1/4 bite of a chocolate chip cookie, a sliver on a fork of cheesecake and yesterday I had about a tbs of carrot cake. I have lived in fear and want to continue to do so. LOL On these little nibbles of sugar things I have felt nothing. I don't like that, but I think I'm smart enough ( or afraid ) enough to know that if I were to try to eat a whole cookie, a whole slice of pie or half of one that the results may be different. And right now I'm still afraid to try.So that is good!! but in general, do I dump, I'd say no. Seems there are lots of us.And I think now at 6 months out, the honeymoon is over, it seems each and every day I have to be very aware of what im eating, what i want to eat etc. The head hunger has been strong the past few days/ weeks. The good thing is I know that Im not physically hungry its just in my head thinking this or that sounds yummy. Keep measuring as you said and posting when you have thoughts, keep it all fresh, active in your mind and working on it. As long as you are aware of the downfalls and try to work around with them you should be ok.
sparkles
on 9/17/06 1:16 am - North Richland Hills, TX
I dont dump either.. and while I don't try to pu**** I've had *some sugar* Yesterday.. I ate a whole chocolate chip cookie. i wasn't sick afterwards.. but in my mouth, it didnt taste that great.. soo sweet.. I had to get a sip of my tea to wa**** down.. I know I know.. bad me.. but the taste was too much for me. I personally dont like rice or pasta very much.. but can tolerate very small portions. I also eat bread.. (!!) I know we shouldn't be eating this either.. but in moderation.. everything is ok. I know this. I'm not changing my whole life to live in fear anymore. Don't worry, It'll all be ok!!
RebekaA
on 9/17/06 5:35 am - Inland Empire, CA
Thank you all so much for your replies and kind words! They all helped tremendously and it feels better to know it's not just me! Enjoy your Sunday! =)Rebeka
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views