Where were you that day..........

Laura A.
on 9/11/06 4:18 am - Manteca, CA
5 years ago today I was home getting ready for work.....trying to get 3 kids up and ready too. My middle daughter and I had just been to the World Trade Center in June 2001 as part of her 8th grade graduation trip. As I was trying to pry her out of bed...it was about 6am....I had the TV in the bedroom on and saw the news of the first hit. I kept telling her to get up and come look. About then the second plane hit. I'm hollering at her to get up and come look......she STOMPED into my bedroom saying "I know nothing's happening, you're just saying that to make me get up!!!" About then she looked at the TV and was shocked by what she was seeing. I kept thinking "I hope there weren't any tourists and groups of school kids at the top of the tower looking out on New York harbor like we had just done 2 months earlier". Funny what we think of in times of turmoil..... I work at a government facility and almost as soon as I arrived at work we were sent home. I guess security didn't want to deal with more than they had to that day and dismissed all employees for the day. Laura A.
Mama-of-3
on 9/11/06 4:49 am - Philadelphia area, PA
Laura, I was rocking Makenzee (she was 4 days shy of being 8 months old) in the living room recliner and I was watching Good Morning America. It really is hard to believe that it has been 5 years already. Trish
luckycat1
on 9/11/06 1:42 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I was sitting at my desk processing invoices for customers when one of the sales managers came and said a plane hit the world trade center. Everyone was like wtf??? We did not believe him. Everyone got on the internet to look for the stories. The CEO of our division went to a conference room and turned on the TV. everyone made their way into the conference room. We were all dumb struck watching the 1st tower burn and within a blink of the eye we all saw the second plane it the second tower. It got so quite you could hear a pin drop. We were all in shock. We stayed in that room and saw people jumping from windows and then boom the 1st tower feel. What seemed like an eternity the 2nd tower fell later. It was horrible. They let everyone go home. I went to church that night something that I had not done in such a long time. I can still see those poor people jumping from windows like it just happened. I hope I never have to witness anything like that again. It still seems so unreal like a horror/action film Hollywood put out. Have a good evening and take care MJ
NickSINYC
on 9/11/06 2:16 pm - Staten Island, NY
I work for a gas utlility in NYC. I was scheduled to work 4 to midnight shift that day doing emergency service. I was just waking up as the 1st plane hit. I watched TV until both towers fell. Then I reported to work early. My work yard was under police protection. There had been rumors that we were a possible target. We normally work alone but because of the situation we were put into 2 man teams then went out into the district to wait for any emergencys. It turned out to be a quiet night were I was located . I watched the fires burn from across New York harbor on Staten Island. With hundreds of other people all in shock not believing what we were seeing. Nick
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/11/06 11:05 pm - My Town, NH
I was at work. Once the news of the first plane surfaced, we gathered in the basement around a television. Several of our staff members were in NYC on business. It was certainly a day I'll never forget. I think what comes to mind most is the feeling of true helplessness. It reminded me that as much as I like to control my surroundings and life, I really can't. I, too, hope to never live through something like this again. - Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views