OT: Car Accident

Darlene X
on 8/28/06 1:30 am - Maricopa, AZ
Well I had an eventful weekend.... Hubby and I decided to pack up and drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff to visit Hubby's sister-- she is 8 months pregnant with her first child, 2 hours away from all her family and having a rough time... we thought it might be nice to go up early Saturday morning, and stay the night... Well, my lovely Hubby decides that as we are driving up to Flagstaff we would take a detour and check out a dirt road that goes off the interstate--- we often do this because we love camping, and have fun going off and exploring and finding new and secluded camping spots.... So off the main freeway we go, onto this dirt road... it was a pretty developed dirt road.... but Hubby starts going way too fast.... oh look here come's a corner, that we couldnt see how sharp it was... turns out it was pretty sharp, Hubby (I can think of many means names to call him LOL) is going far too fast, breaks and of course on a dirt road we start skidding.... going straight towards a bank & big ditch, we hit the bank, do a complete 180° turn and end up stuck in the ditch. Now someone was REALLY watching over us this weekend.... We were both fine... and considering how forceful we hit the bank, and how bad the accident felt, the air bags did not deploy.... we both had our seat belts on... I was shaken up, Hubby laughed at me cause the first word that came out of my mouth was "deductible" LOL... once we figured out we were both ok, we got out--- I was sure the car was beyond repair... I walked around, not believing what I saw.... the front bumper was scratched, slightly loose but not bad--- one of the screws that hold the bumper in place was knocked, and one of the tiny lights (Not the main ones, the small ones at the bottom) was knocked about... and that was it! I told you someone was watching over us! I couldnt believe how little damage was done... I mean we hit REALLY hard... the bank was half rock, half soft dirt and I think we hit the soft dirt are and the car turned 180... no damage to the sides or back of the car at all... We were however stuck in the ditch, we tried a few times to get out but one of the front wheels was burried in soft dirt and we just ended up burning rubber... a few cars came by but no one had rope to pull us out... finally a car came along, with some guys who got out and actually were able to work a way that we could back out of the ditch as the ditch becamse level with the road a little further down... So after about 30 minutes, we were back on the road, our car running fine, no major damage and neither of us hurt. I was shaken up... but that was it. I cannot believe how blessed we have been this weekend! Hubby said that the way it happened, he was sure the car was going to flip or the airbags deploy... We drove on to Flagstaff, had a great weekend.... and all is well.... Ive been giving Hubby a real hard time about it, he is normally a very cautious driver, and going too fast on a dirt road was not like him... but we are safe, and I need to drop it... I cannot believe how lucky we were... it could have been REALLY bad! Darlene -116lbs
Tina K
on 8/28/06 1:50 am - Central, NY
How scary Darlene! Thank goodness you are both okay and that not much damage was done to the car! Hugs, Tina 315/217/140
BabyRuth2u
on 8/28/06 2:16 am - Pittsburgh, PA
So very glad to hear you are both ok. That is an eventful weekend for sure. Just keep reminding hubby to slow down on dirt roads!!! Keep safe!
Sheila A.
on 8/28/06 4:39 am - Thermal, CA
Oh my God!!! Thank God you are both fine!!! How scary! I've been 4 wheeling in the desert and know how scary it can be when something like that happens. Glad you made it to you destination in one piece. What a story you have to tell! Sheila
robinsaxton
on 8/28/06 5:13 am - Columbia, MD
Darlene, I am so glad that y'all are okay. I have been in a couple of bad accidents and they are really scary. Angels were watching over you. It's amazing that y'all aren't hurt and what a bonus blessing that you car is fine. Here's to hoping that your week is not quite as "adventurous" as your trip to Flagstaff. Hugs, Robin
Stephanie Smiles
on 8/28/06 10:28 am - My Town, NH
Yikes! So glad you, hubby AND the car are okay! - Stephanie
timsdanni
on 8/29/06 7:38 am - Ft Stewart, GA
glad you are ok, what a blessing you are both plus the car just fine - I totally understand how unresistable dirt roads are - we love to go off roading and back roading hugs danni
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views