Skinny at 200+ pounds??

MsKeara
on 8/26/06 9:48 pm - Baldwin, WI
Okay everyone, I have a question/situation. My primary MD thinks I can put the breaks on my weight loss and just do a kick ass toning job for the last 2-3 months with my trainer. I made it too 100 pounds loss on my birthday (Friday). I now weigh 236. I was telling this to a couple of the ladies I work with at the hospital. Both of them are about my height and a size 10. One of them weighs 205 and the other about 212 (I made them both get on the scale)!! I was floored. I thought for sure they were under 200 pounds (by a lot). My question is this: Have any of your rethought your "goal" weight and decided on something higher (or lower)? I still have fatty thighs and my belly is well... in need of a tuck. MsKeara
BabyRuth2u
on 8/26/06 11:48 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi MsKeara, how tall are you? That could play a factor too. In general I'd say no, you would, or at least I'd think I would want to lose a bit more. I think ultimately it is up to you, how you feel, where you feel your best. And if you don't feel you've accomplished what you wanted to, that you don't feel you're done, then keep it going!! Just don't go overboard. You are doing great and I applaud you for working out with a trainer. I've seen people at my gym working with a trainer and OMG I just couldn't do it, they'd kill me! LOL Keep up the good job and do what's best for you.
MsKeara
on 8/27/06 12:48 am - Baldwin, WI
Hi Ruth Ann, Thanks for the response. I'm 5'11" also. My original goal was to get to 199.5 (just to be under 200) but my surgeon wanted me to go to 180. As an athlete in high school, I was 181 in top form with 17% body fat so I've never really wanted to go that low because I find it hard to believe I can get back to 17% again (not with these thighs). I think I'll go out another month and reevaluate at that time. It sure would be nice to be at goal at 6 months post op. I'll have to see what happens. MsKeara 334/234/???
timsdanni
on 8/27/06 2:42 am - Ft Stewart, GA
talking with people who are several years out it seems like most people lose till they hit a sweet spot - where THEIR bodys are happy - this maybe 25 pounds higher or lower than their surgoens goal.but they are happy and their bodys maintian well - with in a 5 pound or so window. I would say if you are not happy keep working out - eat like you are now - if you are done losing your wieght loss will slow way way down to a pound or two a month or toally stop, if your body is ok getting lower than you will keep dropping a pound or two a week till you hit that sweet spot. one friend of mine who had this done 2 yrs ago just kept droping at 2-3 pounds a week till she hit 130 and bounced back to 135 and has maintianed with a resonable amount of work (walkign her kids to school and a bit of weights and tennis but not hours and hours a day) betwen 130-135 for over a year now. my goal is 170, I am 5 foot 5 so my surgoen wants me at 140-150 - I will see where I end up - I am still 93 pounds above my goal - I am losing at a decent rate while eating resonably (most of the time) and working out about 5 hours a week. danni 372/263/170 striving for peace and moderation in all things, just for today
JenWilBeSkinE
on 8/27/06 11:36 am - Peculiar, MO
You do what your Doc say if you agree with them. If not keep talking it out with them. But her is something to think about and I think it came from my psych that he said to another patient. Why not get to your goal weight and see how you like it. If you don't like it you can always gain the wieght back. You can do whatever you want. Isn't that amazing advice? It seems like we always obsess over losing the weight and never really consider that we can gain if we want. (SOme of us will gain if we don't want too!) But still that is kinda freeing advice. We can have the freedom to do that. How cool is it to be more in control of our bodies than them being in control of us!!! I soo love that. You're a smart lady and you'll make a great decision. My question is how do you feel you compare in size with your slightly smaller co-workers? Do you feel lots bigger or do you feel like yo look the same or what? BTW Congrats on getting down so quickly to your goal weight. How wonderful!
MsKeara
on 8/27/06 12:16 pm - Baldwin, WI
Hi Jennifer! Thanks for the response. I'm not to my goal weight yet, but I never expected to be even THIS close. You are so right about gaining back, if necessary. I never thought about that little bit of fact. Some of us are going to gain weight back and there isn't a thing we can do about it. My trainer has been the best. He's actually the same age as my dad and takes on the "fatherly advice" from time to time. I know I'm going to gain some when I stop working with him. Lord knows I can't afford to do it forever. I decided today to shoot for my 199.5 goal and see how I feel. That means that I have 34.5 pounds to go. Wish me luck... MsKeara 334/234/199.5
lizzey627
on 8/27/06 10:16 pm - Dunlap, CA
HI !! your doing awsome!!! I am 5ft.7in. My docs goal is 137. Yea right!! I would look awful at that weight. My first first personal goal was 150 but I thinkI want to get to 167 and I will be just fine at that weight. Some of us because of body sturcture cant do lower weights you are very tall so I would think anywhere from 230 to 210 would be great!!! How do you feel? my starting weight was 310 surgery day weight was 277 today 201 so that means i only have 34lbs to goal of 167!! YEA!!!
Stephanie Smiles
on 8/28/06 12:15 am - My Town, NH
MsKeara, It's so hard for me to understand sizes relative to weight. I can't look at someone and have a clue that they might weigh 200 pounds and still look so good! It never even occured to me that someone might weigh 212 pounds and be a size 10. It's such a tough concept for me. I see a person who looks healthy and I automatically think they weigh 150 pounds and must be a size 6. Maybe someday I'll have a good concept of sizes and weights. I would love to get to 160 pounds at some point. I don't have any idea if it's feasible or what I will look like at that weight. I'm hoping to find a weight that is comfortable and healthy for me. I guess we'll know what that magic number is when we get there. Great question! - Stephanie
robinsaxton
on 8/28/06 5:22 am - Columbia, MD
My BF's dad always says "why worry about a number?" Meaning that if we feel and look good then why beat ourself up to obtain some magic number on the scale or label of our cloths. I am like Stephanie. I have a lousy concept of size. I can't judge a persons weight or size at all. Still, I know that personally I would like to see a size 12 which for me would be about the weight of 160-170. That is because I am "hippy" and will always be a bit bigger on the bottom, oh and I am short, 5'6". I have a friend that is 5'9" and she weighs about 170. She looks so small and swears that she is wearing a size 14, but I think she wears her clothes too baggy. She is also proportioned very well (even all over). So, determine your weight with how you feel about yourself and not just a number to be obtained. Good luck. Hugs, Robin
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views