Has anyone drank alcohal yet?

matt
on 8/8/06 11:47 am - fairfield, CA
I wonder how far out you have to be to have a drink? I had a cystal light and vodka last weekend at a party but dont plan on drinking regularly. Has anyone else had a drink?
jmelrod829
on 8/8/06 1:51 pm - Pottsville, PA
My surgeon recommends waiting until you are 6 months out. Personally I am too scared to dump or get totally WASTED so I don't plan on testing those waters! LOL Jennifer
sparkles
on 8/8/06 10:41 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
I had a few sips of baileys irish cream on the 4th of July... a few sips was all I could handle... as I got the beginning signs of being tipsy already! I put my glass down and didn't drink any more. I waited over an hour and a half to drive the rest of our drunks home.. cuz I was to be the DD!! lesson learned.. next time I want to drink, I dont volunteer to be the DD!!
jennb40
on 8/8/06 11:13 pm - Nashua, NH
My surgeon says to wait at least a year and then be very careful. The liquor is not absorbed on WLS patients like people without the surgery. The liquor goes straight to your liver and can cause more damage to our livers than other people without the surgery. Fortunately I didn't like liquor before so it doesn't bother me to wait a year! Just be careful and don't drink much as they say it can make you tipsy really fast - 1 drink is like 3 or 4 to a regular person! Barbara
sngglnclos
on 8/8/06 11:20 pm - sw burbs, MN
Our office suggests one year out, because of the empty calories and addiction transfer. I have had a glass of wine, a small malibu with light cranberry and lime and 3 sips of a beer. I drank them over and hour period and didn't feel bad at all.
JohnL
on 8/8/06 11:59 pm - Sussex, WI
Matt I am a lurker to this board but thought I would chime in. I know each Dr. is different as I have seen many posts on this topic. My dr. said no alcohol for 3 months and no carbonated beverages for 6 months. I have had some drinks probably 2 a week weekly since the 3.5 mark post op. I have only tried whiskey and water and have had a glass of wine a once. When drinking I mix the whiskey and water about 1 shot of whiskey for every 3 oz of water. Two of those over a few hours and I feel like I drank a bottle of wine pre-op. It hits me hard and fast so I do not try to drink like I used to. In my eyes this is like everything else us post op's need to learn which is moderation. I haven't had any weight loss slowing post my first drink after surgery era I have had pretty good and steady weight loss. I started @ 330 back in March and as of today am at 217. Good luck and enjoy your first drink of your new life!! John
lizzey627
on 8/9/06 1:16 am - Dunlap, CA
I was told 6weeks. So I have my only suggestion is keep it to one every 3 hours!!! This is my story 2 weeks ago I went out to dinner with my freinds for her last super before surgery I had a long island ice tea (YUM) but I was thirsty so I drank it very fast ! Then they were like lets have a shot so I did I got so plowed it scared me . Im not nor havent been a big drinker so this was a surprise to me. The thing with us wls patients is we get drunk quick but it doesnt last that long! So be careful keep it small at first and have disignated driver and dont drink real sugery drinks I also dont suggest beer it tends to on me blow my stomach up. Lizzey
miminjoey
on 8/9/06 1:36 am - Fort Bragg, NC
I was told 1 year and then at a minimum...like everything else. I don't think a drink now and then would hurt...but I would not make it a daily thing. My 2 cents Mimi
peggy5681
on 8/9/06 3:47 am - monroe, MI
I have to come clean !!!! I do enjoy Baja Bobs sugar free no carb margarita mix, I can only handle about 2 but they are so yummy!!!!!
~ Stylz ~
on 8/9/06 8:38 am - North of Boston, MA
if you like baja bobs, you'll love this stuff http://www.zilchmixers.com/ Ive heard so many good reviews about this that I bought them and even drank them without liquor. You get the same margarita taste as a regular one (sweet, tart and the touch of salt at the end). very good!! I actually had one with an oz of tequila this past weekend and could only have less than 1/2 of it the tequila hit me like a ton of bricks! I have had a light cranberry and vodka with lime when I've been out socally (I think 2 so far).. It takes over an hour to drink one and because I'm drinking it so slow I don't feel the alcohol! I can tell you its not the same buzz as being pre-op, almost wasnt worth drinking it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views