Question about going back to the basics.

* Icemama *.
on 8/8/06 4:24 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Hey when people on the main message board talk of going back to the basics what exactly do they mean? I ask because I can eat alot more than I think I should be able to eat ( I always stop myself, but once or twice I just wanted to see how much I could eat before I got full and always stopped myself never got that satisfied or full feeling.) and I get hungry alot. As a matter of fact I go to bed hungry 3-4 times a week so to be honest I sleep alot because I don't want to overeat. My question is if I go back to the basics so to speak will this shrink my pouch a bit? I know that "REAL" hunger thing will not go away and I will just have to deal with that. Which Hell I've lived with it for all these years I guess I can continue on with it. Not to worried about that. Just the fact that I don't ever feel really satisfied. So I am wondering if there is anything I myself can do about it without going in for revision etc,.. I'm not even thinking of that right now btw,... I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can here. On a lighter note,.. I have been checking out everyones profiles,... YOU ALL LOOK BEAUTIFUL!!!! Steph your my SHEro!!
Darlene X
on 8/8/06 5:11 am - Maricopa, AZ
Most of the time when they are talking about going back to the basic's-- it's going back to almost straight protein-- the protein first rule-- meats, eggs, cheese, protein shakes etc and eliminating bad sugars/carbs when youve been getting in those habits.... it won't shrink your puch, you won't find anything to do that for you. Its more about going back to making good choices.... Here is an example: ************************************************* KAREN B'S "TIMER" PLAN FOR GETTING BACK ON TRACK The idea of this is to stimulate your metabolism to start burning fat and stop the grazing!!! Of course, adjust the times to your schedule, however, do NOT go past 1 ½ hours between some kind of "feedings". 6 am-- coffee, tea, SF Hot chocolate or some other kind of warm beverage to "get things going" 7 am-- 8 or more oz of PURE water 8 am-- protein shake 9 am-- 1-3 oz of protein type food* 10 am-- 8 or more oz of pure water 11 am-- protein shake noon-- 1-3 oz of protein type food 1 pm-- 8 or more oz of pure water 2 pm-- protein shake 3 pm-- 1-3 oz of protein type food 4 pm --8 or more oz of pure water 5 pm-- protein shake (like while cooking dinner - prevents 'tasting" and "grazing") 6 pm dinner-- 1-3 oz of food total, i.e., 2 oz of protein food, a bite or two of veggie and perhaps a 'taste" of a complex carb 7 pm-- 8 or more oz of pure water 8 pm-- protein shake 9 pm-- light snack like string cheese, deli meat or cheese, about 1 or 2 oz total 10 pm-- 8 or more oz pure water · Pure water is very important to optimum health and to flush the fat cells through your body. You may drink crystal light, diet Snapple, flavored waters, etc., however, you still MUST get in the 64 oz of PURE water every day and do not count the water in shakes or the flavored waters UNLESS you are flavoring them yourself with lemon, etc. Propel is good, but still do not count towards your water. · You may make your protein shakes with just 1 scoop for 20 g of protein or less, but your total protein shake consumption must be at least 90 g. I use the full 30 g portion for each of my shakes, but my body requires more protein supplement. Please adjust accordingly, however the importance is actually drinking them. You can make up a half a portion in 2-3 oz of water to equal 15-20 g of protein then your daily total of drinking 5 shakes would be around 100 g which is perfect for a proximal RNY. · You will find that by setting the timer, you will never be hungry, and in fact, by the latter part of the day, you will be surprised when the timer goes off to have water, protein, or food again! · All meals must have a beginning and an end. No more than 15-20 minutes per "mini-meal". If you are full in five minutes, STOP and discard food or put away for the next meal. It doesn't mean that you can still eat during that hour. This constitutes grazing. · Track your food in Fitday. This helps. You will find that even tho you are eating every three hours your pouchie can't handle as much as it could have before. · If you aren't "carbophobic" add some whole grains to your meals, but eat them LAST. Mix all protein shakes with water and ice only. No milk or fruit. This adds calories and causes cravings for more carbs. You may add SF syrups, or mix your shakes with SF beverages, i.e., Propel, crystal light, Fruit 2-0, etc.
* Icemama *.
on 8/8/06 8:53 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Thanks, you are as always a wealth of info,... I think I can do this!!!!! Yeah I know I can do this!!
Darlene X
on 8/8/06 9:18 am - Maricopa, AZ
Yes you CAN do this! If your finding your hungry, then fill up on dense lean protein. We buy a rotisserie chicken and break it up into 2oz bags and put it in the fridge... if you feel yourself getting hungry, eat some chicken breast/deli meat , cheese etc and then fill up on veggies if your still hungry.
miminjoey
on 8/8/06 1:41 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! This has never been the basic for me, and boy it never will. We say we use to "live to eat" and now we "eat to live" according to this schedule you spend 16 hours of your day taking in some kind of food or liquid...do you stop to do anything else durring the day? Boy I tell ya if this is what I am "suppose" to be doing...I did the wrong thing having surgery. Am I the only one here already eatting like a normal person ( sort of speak?) The closest thing I do to protein drinks is my coffee in the moring, I add powder milk for 8 grams and then 1/2 a scoop of powder for 10...so 18 per cup of coffee...some day I have 1 some days I have 2, I then sprinkle protein powder on foods that are some what liquidy...IE oatmeal. But I eat beacon or oat meal for breakfast, I eat a ham and cheese, or tuna fish sandwich for lunch...usually 3/4 of a sandwich, then I have a piece of fruit in the afternoon, then at dinner I eat whatever meat we have and bite or 2 of the veggies...then later I mightt a handful of nuts or another piece of fruit. I get in about 70gm of protein a day. I know I cut it close with my fluids durring the day, but WOW. I am probably way over reacting to this, or maybe I am not and am way off base and need to be stirred in the right directions. I just curiouse...does anyone elses schedule look like this for an average day? Mimi I hope this doesn't sound slike it is directed at you Darlene...just repsonding to the thread in general
Darlene X
on 8/8/06 10:25 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Mimi, That is not a life time plan... it's a back to basic's plan to get your metabolism moving again--- you do it for maybe a week. Its for when you get stalled, or to tackle regain, when your metabolism slows down, when you need to purge carbs and bad cravings... Its not a regular eating plan. Darlene
miminjoey
on 8/9/06 1:54 am - Fort Bragg, NC
Oh thank goodness!!! Had me paniced, I didn't even have that schedule when I came home from the hospital...well once I was able to eat food. For someone who is further out then us and needs to get back on track I can see them doing something along these lines...but I was thinking, um since we just had surgery aren't we already on the basics? Mimi
Darlene X
on 8/9/06 3:22 am - Maricopa, AZ
We are supposed to be on the basics... in a sense... But that 100 calorie pack of cheetos I had yesterday wasnt "basics" LOL I eat what I want in moderation. Im trying to reteach myself that I can still sometimes have the foods I want... but 90% of the time I need to eat healthy... One thing Ive learnt from support groups is that many grad's, 2+ years out struggle with food, and really need to get back to the basics every now and then...
rowEn
on 8/8/06 5:28 am - Huntsville, AL
I think that everyone has a slightly different idea of what the "basics" are, and really, it would depend on how strict your surgeon was after surgery and when you could/couldn't have things. I know that after I lived in a hotel and ate out for 90 days, I really felt like I needed to "get back to basics". For me, that means NO eating out (unless there is no other option, as in I must be away from home overnight!) and sticking to lean protein first, then some veggies, then fruit (if there was room). Water must hit 64 oz per day, no excuses! I cook extra lean ground beef (we buy half a cow about every six months....lordy is the meat MUCH better!) one pound at a time. I might add a few diced up slices of onions and some finely diced mushrooms as well. I cook this on Sunday night and take in bowls with me. You can either pre-measure it into the tiny 4oz gladware bowls, or package it in a larger bowl and take the tiny one to use as a measure. That is usually two meals while I am at work (about 1030 and 230) after I eat a carb control yogurt for breakfast at 7. That's it, and no keeping snacks around for me, as I have NO willpower. At home, we try and pre-cook a few meals at a time, so if we grill steaks, we'll grill a few extra. That way I've always got something cooked and quick for me to reheat. I'll make a tiny cup of salad if my husband and daughter are having it, otherwise I'm pretty strictly protein only Very similar to being "ultra low-carb" but with the added tool of not being able to eat "as much as you want" (which really, if I can eat as much as I want, I won't lose weight!!). I know what you mean about not feeling "satisfied", and really, I think there are a few of us that will never feel that feeling. I can go from feeling hungry to "holy cow, I shouldn't have taken that last bite!" in the blink of an eye. I have yet to get sick or have anything "come back up". I've felt like I WANTED it to, but never quite made it. I haven't dumped at all. That scares the bejeebus out of me, as I was sorta hoping that things WOULD make me feel sick, which is always the best deterrant for me Of course, I haven't tried "real" sweets, but I've had some of the frozen drinks on Bourbon St with no problem (and hey, I'm a REALLY cheap date now!) Cakes, cookies, sweets in general held no allure for me before surgery and that hasn't changed. Of course, I would STILL knock someone over for some Pringles...so I'm more of a potato/bread/salty type snacker. I just can NOT have them around without indulging. Water, protein, vitamins, exercise. Those are the basics that we should all be hitting as often as possible. Don't beat yourself up if you don't hit them all every day (except the vitamins, those are important!). We're human, and we're going to lose weight at different rates, in different places. The only thing I can do is not beat myself up for not being in line with everyone else....and keep on this path that I've started down.
* Icemama *.
on 8/8/06 9:02 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Thanks for the support,.. That is a great idea about cooking in advance. I'll try and do that on a Sunday afternoon to see what I can come up with.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views