Need some help

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/06 11:12 pm - PA
I have been having some depression issues and have not been following the rules. I just sleep all day and want to be left alone and unnoticed. I am actually starting to get angry and annoyed when someone makes a comment on my weight loss. I do not know why I feel this way. I have a wonderful life. My body is suffering the consequences and I need someone to hold me accountable. My hubby does his best and is really worried about me, but I need more. I can't put my finger on why, but I feel like I did before surgery. Fat, lazy and angry. Does anyone have any ideas? I am journaling my food again and I am trying to get back into exercising. I need help. Kathy
Sheila A.
on 8/7/06 12:19 am - Thermal, CA
Hi Kathy, I struggled with depression pre-op and was on Zoloft for about 4 years. I am no longer on Zoloft and at times I do find my frustrations rising and find myself wanting to isolate myself. We lived in our big bodies for so long and our thinking that went along with that body is so engrained in who we are, our weight loss is rapid compared to most. I am no expert, but my guess is that it takes a while for our brains to catch up with our new smaller bodies. Sometimes this is where therapy would come in, because for me there were reasons for my eating. Now therapy could be a therapist, your pastor from your church, or even attending a support group. You have come so far and done so well, I am sure this is just for a season and you will be feeling better and doing better before any of us knows it. Seeing you on your journey while I am on mine has been an inspiration to me. Love & Prayers, Sheila
headparrot
on 8/7/06 12:25 am - Ponca City, OK
Kathy, I started taking Wellbutrin 150 mg shortly after surgery. I think it has really helped me and it help with head hunger issues as well. You might want to speak to your doctor about trying it. There is also a 10 dollar off a month coupon here: http://www.wellbutrin-xl.com/optin/saving.jsp I also saw a therapist a couple of times a month after I had surgery to try to address some of the issues that caused me to get obese in the first place. It was really nice to be able to talk to somebody about things that I never would talk to anybody else about. I always felt good after leaving his office. Good luck. Scott
robinsaxton
on 8/7/06 12:40 am - Columbia, MD
Hi Kathy. Depression has many underlying causes. You should really talk to your dr and get some counseling. I counsel with a lady from our church, she is licensed and has really helped me. I suffered with depression for 11 1/2 years. I no longer have to take medication but I still get symptoms of depression and talking to someone about lifes issues really helps me. I spend a lot of time in prayer and bible meditation to help me as well. I really am lifted when I read the psalms and proverbs. Maybe you can find a good book about self-esteem, or just inspirational quotes that will encourage you. Also, as much I hate to admit it, getting yourself up and out of the house, even for just a 10-20 minute walk will help so much. I struggled with that since all I wanted to so was sleep all day but when I pushed myself I found that it really helped me. Do you have a friend that will walk for 15 minutes with you? I'll be praying for you. Keep up with your food journal and get some exercise. Hugs, Robin
Tina K
on 8/7/06 12:44 am - Central, NY
Hi Kathy, I'm so glad that you posted this and asked for help. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety several years ago, during my first quest for weight loss surgery. Just last month I wanted to get off my medication (Lexapro) and see how I'd do. Holy crow! I was a mess and put myself back on the meds. Sometimes depression is trigged by the weight and sometimes we simply have chemical imbalances in our bodies that need medical intervention. Hun, go see your doctor and get some help. There is no reason to live like that and there is nothing at all for you to be ashamed of. Get help and get back to your life. You deserve it. Hugs, Tina
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/06 1:02 am - PA
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I am and have been on Prozac for years. For this reason I recognized my symptoms as definite signs of depression. I may need to have the dosage increased or be switched to something different. My surgeon has an excellent aftercare program that includes the lifetime use of a psychologist and nutritionist at no charge. I guess its time to put those two to use. I guess I was too afraid that they would consider me non-compliant. I'm calling to make an appointment right now. I love the support here! Kathy
Tina K
on 8/7/06 4:19 am - Central, NY
Oh yeah Kathy - I bet with your weight loss and the changes going on in your body you're due for a change in dosage or meds. Personally I've had great success with Lexapro but I'm sure the doctor will have great suggestions for you. Let us know how the appointment goes and hopefully it happens soon!! Hugs, Tina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views