Caffeine - YES or NO?

jennb40
on 8/6/06 2:01 am - Nashua, NH
What are you guys doing about caffeine and if you are having tea/coffee, how much are you drinking? I know at first they weren't wild about us having caffeine, but I am loving iced tea sweetened with Splenda right now, but I don't want to overdo it. It is a nice break AFTER I drink all that blame water!!!! So I was just wondering what you guys are doing about caffeine. Thanks, Barbara
NickSINYC
on 8/6/06 2:16 am - Staten Island, NY
Hi Barbara, My surgeon and nut are against caffine. I was never a big coffee drinker but I did love crystal light iced tea. That was hard to give up. I think the reason we are supposed to stay away is caffine is a diruretic. Just my opinion but I think if you are really enjoying the iced tea if you keep drinking it in moderation it would not be that bad. Just try and drink a little extra water on the days you have the tea. Also if you could get used to decaf iced tea you would have no worries at all. Take care Nick
Stephanie Smiles
on 8/6/06 11:37 am - My Town, NH
Hi Nick. Have you tried the Wal-Mart brand of Crystal Light Peach Tea? I'm addicted! It has zero caffeine versus the CL Peach Tea which has 15 mg (or is it grams?) per serving. I'm not sure about the regular iced tea from Wal-Mart, but it's worth checking out. - Stephanie
Darlene X
on 8/6/06 2:40 am - Maricopa, AZ
I don't drink caffiene for personal reasons.... Hubby and I went cold turkey about 3-4 years ago when we realized how addicted we were, and how horribly it was affecting our lives.... So my opinion is always no to caffiene hehehe...
luckycat1
on 8/6/06 2:58 am - Cincinnati, OH
My surgeon and nutritionist say no to caffeine. When I started looking into WLS everyone told me that I would have to give up the coffee. I was like there is no way I am giving up my quad shot latte (from starbucks--two of those a day) plus my 5 plus cups of coffee a day. Well when I started to go to my nutrition classes yes it was true it was suggested that I "cut" back on the caffeine so when I had to give it up it would not be that hard. To make a long story short I cut back and gave up caffeine in January. Have not had it sense. I drink decaf coffee and tea. MJ
~ Stylz ~
on 8/6/06 3:31 am - North of Boston, MA
Barbara I have a coffee from dunkins atleast once a week (sometimes twice) usually a small iced coffee (extra extra milk, 1 splenda so there isn't a ton of coffee in it) and told Shannon about it. She said as long I'm getting in lots of water it was ok (atleast 2 8oz waters after a coffee). She also said the reason they tell people no caffine is because a lot of people aren't getting in a ton of water and since caffine dehydrates you, they dont want you to drink coffee, not enough water and dehydrate. When I drin****d tea I mostly drink Diet Nestea instant its sweetened and decaf, but if you're making your own and fill up on water you should be fine
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/06 10:29 am - Remington, VA
Barbara, One reason I've heard of for not consuming caffeine is the Tanens(sp?) in it inhibit the absorption of calcium. A good thing to bring up with your nut! Kirsten
Stephanie Smiles
on 8/6/06 11:44 am - My Town, NH
Hi Barbara, My bariatric program wanted me to stay away from caffeine for the first three months. There aren't any guidelines after that. I will have regular caffeinated iced tea if I'm out at a restaurant or something. I've never been able to tell the difference between regular and decaf iced tea. Have you tried the Lipton decaf tea bags when making your iced tea? If that tastes the same, you could have your iced tea and drink it too! I've never cared for coffee and I drink lots of herbal hot tea. I guess it's probably like everything else...moderation is the key. I do know that my bariatric programs suggests 48 to 64 non-carbonated, non-caffeinated ounces per day as a minimum. So if I drink something caffeinated, I take it out of my total water (or other) ounces for the day. Iced tea cheers ! -Stephanie
miminjoey
on 8/7/06 1:05 am - Fort Bragg, NC
I was told no caffine because it causes you to feel hungry, which causes snacking. i think anything in moderation depending on how you tolerate it, i'd ask your doc just to be on the safe side.
JESS S.
on 8/7/06 9:05 am - SOUTH ST PAUL, MN
I gave up coffee before surgery but when I returned to work I missed it ALOT. At my last nut appointment I asked about the caffine. She said they frown on it because people usually associate coffee drinking with snacking. OH HOOEY! I have about 3 cups a day plus all my water and do not snack.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views