New Breakfast Cereal

jennb40
on 7/31/06 9:08 pm - Nashua, NH
Special K has come out with a new cereal called Special K Protein Plus. I had a nutritionist visit last week and she said it was really good. Here are the stats: Serving Size - 3/4 cup Calories - 100, or 140 with 1/2 cup fat free milk Carbs - 14 grams, but dietary fiber 5 grams, sugar only 2 grams - that leaves 7 grams for the other carbs Protein - THIS IS BIG....10 GRAMS!!! If you had the 10 gram Hoods Simply Smart milk - you get 20 grams of protein for breakfast. Add a few slices of strawberries and you up the fiber grams. I asked the nutritionist about milk with the cereal and she said fine if it doesn't upset Mr. Pouch! Thankfully it doesn't for me. I asked her about the drinking with meals and she said her golden rule is no drinking 15 minutes before eating and at least 30 minutes after eating. She said if we drink with our meals this early out it will definitely s-t-r-e-t-c-h Mr. Pouch. She said the milk with the cereal absorbs some into the cereal and even soup - those things don't seem to stretch the pouch. She also said drinking with the meals will flush the protein out of your system faster and we really need that protein to stick around for a while. She said it was ok to top off your meal (if you are really thristy) with a sugar free popsicle or a few bites of watermelon. I know in this hot weather I seem to get thirsty with my meals...but the fear of stretching the pouch is greater than my desire for water! And the watermelon sure seems to help and it is a great time of year for watermelon. Anyway if you are looking for some more breakfast ideas, hope this helps a bit! I have to post another picture to reflect my 82 lb. loss! Barbara
ooh-lala
on 8/1/06 4:10 am - Great Bend, KS
Barbara, where do you find the Hoods Simply Smart milk? I have never heard of it. I buy Hood Carb Countdown, but it only has 8 grams of protein per cup. Thanks! Laura 381/288/175
jennb40
on 8/1/06 5:56 am - Nashua, NH
Hi Laura, I live in New Hampshire and we can get it in the grocery store here. According to the milk carton, they have a web site - www.hood.com and it says for 1 cup - there is 90 calories, and protein 10 grams - that is for the 0% Fat Simply Smart milk. It also has 360 grams of calcium. Maybe it can only be found in New England - I know when I was in TN a few weeks ago, I couldn't find it there. But even the Hood Carb Countdown is pretty good at having 8 grams of protein. There is also an address on the milk carton: Consumers Affairs, HP Hood LLC, 90 Everett Ave., Chelsea, MA 02150 Barbara
miminjoey
on 8/1/06 5:10 am - Fort Bragg, NC
I have never heard of it either...not that i can drink milk...but some day Mii
jennb40
on 8/1/06 5:58 am - Nashua, NH
Mimi, just curious - does milk make you sick or does your nutritionist not allow you to have it????
miminjoey
on 8/1/06 7:14 am - Fort Bragg, NC
it makes me VERY sick...I even tried soy and it does the same thing. I can do powdered milk but that's it, and not much of it. Mimi
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views