I cant believe this - OT

Courtney B.
on 7/25/06 11:10 am - Lancaster, CA
I have a friend who had RNY surgery 2 1/2 years ago. She dropped like 150 lbs but still has 100 to go. For the last 1 1/2 yrs, she has partied, drank, eaten whatever she wanted, not taking her vitamins, or protein or exercising. She also drinks nothing but carbonated beverages and tons of alcohol. Now she is trying to have a revision and have medi-cal pay for it. Im really torn. I dont know if I should say something to her or not. She has made the choice to not follow the rules of her surgeon, but for some reason she thinks that us taxpayers should pay for her to have it fixed. Any advice? I appreciate any words of wisdom you have. Courtney
RebekaA
on 7/25/06 3:29 pm - Inland Empire, CA
That would definitely be frustrating! I hate when people take this forgranted. Still, I would not say anything and just be a friend and try to be supportive. This is obviously going to touch on some nerves for you having had the surgery as well. But I would say be her friend first and don't judge her.
Darlene X
on 7/25/06 9:39 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I agree with Rebeka, You need to let her make her own decisions.... There is a girl at my work the same way, she had WLS losst it all, then gaineed it ALL back.... eating junk all day at work... her desk was always full of candy, trail mix, pudding cups etc... she is also looking for a revision... D
Diane B
on 7/25/06 11:45 pm - Oregon, OH
I guess there are lots of "those" out there. I have a friend that had RNY 10 years ago. Lost 150 pounds...gained it all back. She never followed doctor's orders. Now she wants a revision. Medicaid paid for her first one and will this one too I guess. She is a friend, so I will support her. I will, however, try to be an example as far as following post op instructions. It will be hard not to be preachy, but I can't if I want to maintain the friendship. Just show your friend what the outcome COULD be if she does follow the rules...like you! Good luck.
miminjoey
on 7/26/06 1:15 am - Fort Bragg, NC
I can see you being frustrated and to be honest i would find it real hard to NOT say something....however if she is a true friend she should be able to take you maybe saying something. I have a friend she had it done 3.5 years ago lost 115 and still has another 80 i'd say to go, and like your friend she doesn't follow the rules however she has no desire to have a revision...instead she has decided to start working out with me she even asked if she could try some of my protein powder...so maybe you could see if she could "help you" when in fact you would be helping her. Good luck which whatever you deicde to do or not do. Mimi
Shana M.
on 7/26/06 2:21 am - KY
K, I'm not nearly as nice as everyone else. What about letting it slip to her surgeon that she has done this to herself. My surgeon won't do a fix if you broke it yourself the first time. SLM
RebekaA
on 7/26/06 4:23 am - Inland Empire, CA
i meant to ask--what kind of a revision can you have after already having GB? I thought this was it--one shot and you're done...? It's so scary to hear about all those people who gain it back!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views