Not following doctors orders...

MsKeara
on 7/21/06 8:47 am - Baldwin, WI
Hello Everyone!! I wanted to stop in and say hello and ask a quick question while I'm here. I went to the new team that is following me on June 29th. They dropped my calories all the way down to 500 saying that I should not be at 1100 until 1yr post-op. I was a good patient and went back to 500 calories. BIG MISTAKE!! I started blacking out. I passed out at the gym a few times (really freaked my trainer out) and at work. One day I found myself in the ditch on the side of the freeway. I called the doctor after that and was told my body would "adjust". I thought... yeah.. but I might be dead by then. I didn't have the energy to complete my workouts. I was tired all the time. One of the doctors that I work with in the ER said to ease the calories back up. I did that over the next week and now I feel fine again. How many calories are most of you getting in a day? That 500 seemed a bit crazy. Thanks everyone! MsKeara
luckycat1
on 7/21/06 9:01 am - Cincinnati, OH
I guess every doctor/program is different. Just becauseI did not want to eat I was doing about 400 up until late June. I went to see my nut becaue my weight loss slowed down and was told that I should be around 1000 calories because at the 300-400 calories I was eating my body had started going into starvation mode. I laughed of course because there is no way I could eat that much food. I would have to eat every freaking hour. I made a compromise and said I would do my best to get in as many calories that I could. Right now I get in between 690-950. It just depends on what I eat. If I am low on calories I will go get a decaf skim latte at Starbucks or Panera. It takes me about an hour to drink the 16 oz but is has about 160 calories and 16 grams of protein. To be honest I have more energy now that I am eating a little more. Good luck to you. MJ
deesa
on 7/21/06 9:03 am - Moore, ID
Hi, I just went to the doctor yesterday. I weigh 135, and I am no longer overweight. (However, I am supposed to get to 120.) My doctor told me no more than 600 calories a day until I reach goal. That's what I have been doing, however I am not so sure it is the best thing. I feel tired a lot, and I think that it is because I am not eating enough. I'm not really sure what to do, either, so I can't wait to hear what others have to say. The thing is, I am losing the weight, so I am afraid if I do something different I might not lose any more. Were you still losing at 100 calories? If so, I would definately eat more. I think If I were you I would eat more anyway, because if you black out and crash and wind up dead in a ditch the wls really wasn't worth it, was it? You know your body best.
Darlene X
on 7/21/06 9:18 am - Maricopa, AZ
From the daily food thread it seems most are averaging around 800-1000 calories right now... In my opinion 500 calories is WAY too low, especially with working out.... for me right now 800 calories is just about perfect. My nut wants us to work up to 1200 calories around the 9-12 month mark. If I were you'd I'd be ignoring my doctor too.... Darlene
BabyRuth2u
on 7/21/06 11:16 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with everyone else and think 500 is too low, or at least too low to aim for all the time. There may be days that you only feel like eating that much, fine, but for an everyday occurance, definately too low! I think 1000 or 1200 may be too much, only because I dont know how we can yet each that much! As Darlene, I am doing around 800 ish, some days less, some days a bit more. I think only one day did I have a count a little over 1000 and I was freaked! Thing was I didnt even eat all that much, it's the little things that you eat and think wont hurt, but even in small amounts have lots of fat/calories (ie: nuts, salad dressing), so I cut out the nuts! They are gone now, and I'm not buying any more, and the dressing I've used less oil and am measuring how much I put on to be sure it's limited. Passing out is not a good thing. You doctor and nut can give you guidance, but they dont live in your body. You need to make the ultimate decision on what makes you feel best, but that is going to help you to continue to lose. So as long as you are making healthy right choices, going higher shouldnt hurt, just don't go too high.
RebekaA
on 7/21/06 11:56 am - Inland Empire, CA
Hi Ms. Keara, I think you are totally right in listening to your body and not your nut! It's important to take your cues from how you feel. And passing out is NEVER normal or a sign that you'll "adjust". wow, i can't believe they even told you that! I don't know, maybe they didn't take into account the heavy exercise you do? I don't think I could do 500 a day either! and I haven't been that low in a while. I average between 800-1100. On most days I'm at 1000. take care.
timsdanni
on 7/21/06 12:05 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
I average 850-1050 400+ of that is often protien shakes glad to hear from you - been keepng you in my prayers. super glad you are safe after passing out driving-way scary!! I say go with your instincts b/c your nut seems way off danni 372/279/170
miminjoey
on 7/21/06 11:24 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
I was getting 500 at 1st and then my doc and nut both increased me up to 800 or so the more I work out the more I am suppose to take in..so it varies day to day...but 500 is way too few I think. Mimi
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views