Hunger returning......

JESS S.
on 7/20/06 8:04 pm - SOUTH ST PAUL, MN
I'm starting to feel hunger again and wanting to snack and eat fast food! I am also finding it increasingly difficult to excercise. Don't get me wrong--I am VERY happy with the results of my surgery-- I have lost 71 pounds since March 27th surgery and gone from a size 24 to 14 pants. It's just that old stuff is returning and I am not sure if it's "normal" and how to deal with it. I have trouble scheduling meals due to varied work schedules then I get hungry (even this is new) and want something easy not healthy. Yesterday, I finished work at 10 AM and was feeling icky because I hadn't eaten. Instead of running into a grocery store for a piece of fruit or something else healthy, I drove through Micky D's for an egg McMuffin. I did remove the top and eat less then half but, geez--that was a bad decision. I have been doing strength training at home for all but 2 days in the past two weeks but it has been forever since I walked. Has anyone else had trouble staying on track?
Darlene X
on 7/20/06 10:45 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Now are you SURE it's "hunger"... because our brains can not tell this difference between thirst and hunger.... if youve eaten recently, and are finding yourself "hungry" again--- drink a glass of water first, if you still feel hungry then eat something. This is a big reason behind obesity, people go and eat, when their body is really telling them they need to drink. It is normal to be feeling more hungry now, 3-4 months is right when a lot of swelling has gone.... I noticed I can eat more at 3 months, and Im not hungry per say, not like before surgery but I do notice the want to eat---- most of the time I say to myself... your probably just thirsty and I drink... I just stay to my scheduled 3 meals, 2 snacks. This is the time to create good habits.... and heck im not perfect, those stupid lite Ruffles are gonna kill me LOL. perhaps you should take a look at your day... I know you said your schedule is difficult, but try work out some form of eating plan, and keep good snacks & meals at work, in the car, at home... Darlene
JESS S.
on 7/21/06 1:29 am - SOUTH ST PAUL, MN
Good idea, I'm going to start keeping healthy foods with me.
miminjoey
on 7/21/06 11:36 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
Oh you are so right...and I actually have to remind myself when I am starring in the fridge....drink some protein or water and see if that helps...put the cheese back and most of the time.
lizzey627
on 7/20/06 11:56 pm - Dunlap, CA
I posted what my doctor gave on my last visit about hunger you can find it on this forum it is called "why am able to eat so much and am hungery" eliza milor. It might help you !
JESS S.
on 7/21/06 1:41 am - SOUTH ST PAUL, MN
I'll check it out.
robinsaxton
on 7/21/06 12:34 am - Columbia, MD
Hi Jess. Yes, at this stage following wls we do begin to experience hunger pains again. I have felt the same thing. I dont feel it often so when I do I am still surprised by it. I usually feel hunger when I have either 1) allowed too much time to lapse between meals, for me that's about 6 hours; 2) not eaten enough protein at my last meal, example: I usually have a protein shake(50gr protein) for breakfast. When I do this I am sustained until I eat lunch, if i eat something else for bkfst like cottage cheese, about 10 gr protein, I get hunger pains about 3 hours after eating this; 3) when I am not drinking enough. Just like Darlene said, I try to drink something and then if about 30 minutes later I am still hungry I eat a snack if it's not meal time yet. We all get busy and are on the "run" far too often. Just remember that when you are running to take a snack with you. If you have to stop somewhere quick and probably not very healthy, choose protein and eat only that. The insides of an egg mcmuffin are not terrible. I just throw away the bread and stick with the meat. I have a hard time with exercise too. I get busy and then if I don't forcably take the time for myself I don't get it. Hang in there sweetie! You are doing great. We have had bad habits for a lifetime and it's gonna take a lot of work and time and effort to change those habits. (I am talking to myself here too! ) You can do this. You are worth the effort! Take care. Hugs, Robin
JESS S.
on 7/21/06 1:31 am - SOUTH ST PAUL, MN
Thank you- I am at my desk eating 1/2 an apple right now.
BabyRuth2u
on 7/21/06 10:56 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I think my want to eat more has increased. But for some reason this month, or these past few weeks at least I haven't been able to eat as muh as I did last month. I'm actually back to eating an amount that I did like 1 to 2 months out. I had worried maybe I was getting a stricture, but I dont have any problem keeping anything down. Just feel full reallly quick on less food. But I'm not complaining about that! Now as far as wanting to eat more, yes in my mind I want to. I get thoughts of wanting this or that, and may even get it, but can only eat one or two bites. Some times I dont get it because why bother. My mind wants to eat a full meal! Meaning, if I order salmon, veggies, salad etc I want to eat the meal! But I cant, so I don't order it. I think it's ok for you to, if in a bind to grab a mcmuffin if you can eat it, because as you said you can only eat about 1/2 of it, and that's with the other bun off. I' would try to not make it a habit. So that is going to take some work. I actually had a craving for a breakast mcmuffin this morning! LOL Was thinking how yummy it would be to have one on the way to work for breakfast rather than making something at home like LF cottage cheese. Keep up the exercise, sounds like you're doing great on that, and just make a conscious effort to say NO to yourself about stopping for fast food, and go for a healthier choice. You'll be so happy you did so afterwards! I wish you strength and luck!
RebekaA
on 7/24/06 12:56 pm - Inland Empire, CA
Hi, I went thru the same thing a month ago. All of a sudden, with a vengeance I felt hungry again and wanted to eat all the time. I was so scared b/c it felt so familiar--diet for a few months--lose weight and just when I'm starting to see a difference--BAM! I get run over by my appetite and binging habits again and start the upward spiral of gaining it all back and more. When I tried to figure out what was different, why was I feeling this way, I realized I'd been letting more and more carbs into my diet. Nothing major, some whole wheat bread and crackers etc, but it was enough. As soon as I lowered my carb intake again, I lost my cravings and appetite and feel in control again. I'm not pushing low carb here, I don't know what your dr's protocol is; I'm just telling you what my situation was. I also wanted you to know that just b/c your hunger is back, it might not stay. I'm hoping mine will stay away this time!!! I find when I'm "good" and follow all the rules, it's kinda easy, but once I get lax, I'm in trouble. HTH a little. Have a great day. Rebeka
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views