Spoke with Nurse & Nut,.. Now Depressed help!

* Icemama *.
on 7/20/06 2:31 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
I thought I was getting on track but went to the primary doc's office ( very against me having this surgery) my iron was very low. He said that at the rate I am going I will only wind up loosing 80-85lbs total after one year and that I will still be OBESE. He said he did some checking and research and at the rate I am going at 12-18 months out I will still be 60 lbs over what my ideal weight should be and it will be harder to loose the weight that i would be regaing a few lbs even. I'll still be over 200lbs,.. thats some bull!! I took a break (2 weeks) but I'm doing everything I should now. What is going to happen when my appetite comes back full force. This is not good info. I left there wanting to jump off the nearest bridge. When I started this thing I only had back and knees pains. Now I still have back pains and have to take prilosec, vitamins, calcium & fiber everyday, as well as dulcolax 2-3 times a week and I am still drinking slim fast for protein & isopure. I feel like I drink from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. I get in around 100 gram of protein a day. All that and after its all said and sone I'll still be obese for the rest of my life. THIS IS SO NOT FAIR!!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO? SHOULD I BELIEVE THAT? HELP!
Stephanie Smiles
on 7/20/06 2:59 am - My Town, NH
From one Steph to another - Two things: 1) Your doctor does not have control over your body. You do. You can follow the rules, work hard and give yourself the best opportunity to lose weight. Just because your physician says something doesn't make it true. You will not be obese for the rest of your life if you don't want to be. 2) WLS is usually deemed successful when 50% to 70% of your excess weight is lost. So, for me, that would be 101 pounds lost in the 50% range and 142 pounds lost in the 70% range. My starting weight of 350 pounds minus a loss of 70% of my excess weight or 142 pounds would put me at 208 pounds. That's still obese. Now, I could stop trying to lose weight at 208 pounds. But I don't want to! I have a goal of 160 and I'm going to get as close to my goal as I can. Will it take longer than 12 to 18 months? Most likely. I lose slowly as it is. It will be even more difficult 18 months out from surgery. But even at 208 pounds, I will have lost 142 pounds! I can't imagine losing that without surgery. As for the vitamins, I try to remember that I could be taking all sorts of medications and would need more as the years went on and I became heavier. I'll take the vitamins! Hang in there. Don't let anyone else determine your success or your health! You can do it! - Stephanie
* Icemama *.
on 7/20/06 5:00 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Steph,.. Thanks for that I really needed it. I am going to keep on keeping on.
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/06 3:05 am - AZ
Hi Steph, I would say it is time to change PCPs to one who is supportive of WLS and you. Your PCP should be thrilled that you are losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle. He should not be discouraging you and sabotaging your efforts! Many people continue losing weight for several years. If you stick with healthy eating habits and you exercise, you will continue to lose after the "honeymoon period." So, tell your PCP to shove it , talk to your surgeon at your next visit, and keep on doing what you're doing. Elizabeth
* Icemama *.
on 7/20/06 5:02 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Thanks Elizabeth. I have been with this guy for years but I think your right I need to change now to someone who can and will support what I have done and my new lifestyle.
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/06 3:28 am - PA
I say you should take this as an opportunity to prove him wrong! Work hard, lose it all and get to your goal. Then go to his office and strut. After that, every year on on your surgiversary, call him and remind him how much healthier you are and how you are maintaining. I mean really, would he rather you just not have the surgery, remain morbidly obese, and maybe even gain weight from where you started this journey? Thats irresponsible! I would definitely change PCPs! Kathy
* Icemama *.
on 7/20/06 5:05 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Kathy thats an awesome Idea. I am going to do just that. but for now I will find a new doc since its time to pick one for my new insurance. YOu guys can be soooo supportive. I'm glad I came on here and posted today.
Darlene X
on 7/20/06 3:30 am - Maricopa, AZ
Steph! I SECOND the suggestion that you change PCP's--- after all did you think with him being non-supportive before surgery, that he would change after? Sounds like he is rather uneducated in WLS--- and perhaps had a bad experience with a patient.... YOU DO NOT NEED THIS! Its very unprofessional... and look how much he upset you. I would post on the TX forums and find a nice WLS friendly PCP nearby. I would NOT be listening to him... he can't tell you how much weight you will lose in a year.... our bodies pick up and slow down all the time.... he can't tell you how sucessful or unsucessful you will be, that is up to YOU! As for Protein... why are you drinking it all? How much are you eating of solids? Following protein first rule? I had surgery 2 days before you, and I HATE protein drinks and don't do them, so only get protein from food... I can normally do around 60-70g of protein a day just from having chicken, tuna etc... if you wanted to be at 100g then on top of food and normal day living that may be 1 protein drink. You mention Slim fast--- that is not very high in protein, maybe you need to find a powder that gives about 30g a scoop and change to that..... you'd have to drink way too much slim fast to get the amount of protein your aiming for... no wonder you feel like your drinking all the time. Darlene Darlene
* Icemama *.
on 7/20/06 5:10 am - Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Darlene,.. You are a wealth of info thanks!!. I do a slim fast 19g and and isopure which is 40 grams and my water and maybe a second slim fast but I eat Tyson chicken & chiken & Tuna salad as well as fish for my protein. My Surg just suggested upping the protein and water in take so I added the slim fast. I could not find a powder that I like and they don't fit into my lifestyle at all. Also every now and then I do a south beach bar 19g protein 190 cal. I feel much better after reading allof the replies thanks for being there!!! Steph
miminjoey
on 7/20/06 3:43 am - Fort Bragg, NC
you should find another doctor! I could not imagine a doctor being so discouraging. he should have been giving you ideals on how to help this work. granted this is only a tool...you have have to pick up the tool and use it...which means working out, drinking your fluids and eatting your protein and taking your vitamins...which you seem to tbe doing...granted you might be a slow loser, but your are losing. hang in there and remember we are all here for you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views