Need a recipie

jannineh99
on 7/18/06 12:11 am - Melrose, MA
I have been craving mac and cheese and I am afraid to try the box stuff and would like to know if anyone has a WLS acceptable mac & cheese recipie I can try...any help would be appreciated... Jannine 357/252/190
CherieG
on 7/18/06 12:51 am - Collingdale, PA
Jannine, I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it's in my binder from Barix(where I had my surgery). They gave us a ton of recipes to use post-op. Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Servings: 6 16 oz large pasta shells 2 cups fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded 3 oz fat-free sharp cheese, cut into small pieces 12 oz can lite evaporated skim milk 1/2 tsp salt (optional) Boil and drain pasta as directed on box. In same pan, add both cheeses and evaporates milk; cook over low heat. Add salt. Stir in pasta shells. Serve warm immediately. Nutrition Information per Serving: Calories 23 Protein 27g Fat 2g Sodium 731 mg Cherie
jannineh99
on 7/18/06 9:05 am - Melrose, MA
ooooooh that sounds yummy...ty very much Jannine
Darlene X
on 7/18/06 1:15 am - Maricopa, AZ
4 cups cooked low carb/whole wheat elbow macaroni 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream 1/2 cup skim milk 2 tablespoons grated fresh onion 1 1/2 teaspoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1 egg, lightly beaten Topping: 1/4 cup dry whole wheat breadcrumbs 1 tablespoon I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray 1/4 teaspoon paprika Fresh oregano sprigs Combine first 10 ingredients; stir well, and spoon into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray (Pam). Combine breadcrumbs and next 2 ingredients; stir well. Sprinkle over casserole. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes or until set. Garnish with oregano. ----------------------------------------------- Super Deluxe Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese 8 tablespoons unsalted margarine 4 tablespoons flour 2 cups nonfat or 1% milk 8 ounces sharp white, 2% or low fat cheddar cheese, grated 1 cup nonfat half-n-half Salt and cayenne pepper 1/4 cup slivered reconstitituted sundried tomatoes (Only add if you want) 3/4 pound wheat penne, cook to the al dente stage, drained and cooled 1/3 cup fresh wheat bread crumbs (not necessary) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons of the margarine in a non-reactive saucepan. When bubbly whisk in flour and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring every now and then. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking on occasion for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in grated cheese. Stir vigorously just until cheese has melted. Then whisk in half-n-half to adjust the texture and season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper. In a mixing bowl combine sauce with sun dried tomatoes and drained macaroni and adjust seasoning. Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9-inch baking pan and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top, if desired, and dot with remaining 4 tablespoons of margarine. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. --------------------------------------------- Baked Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients: 1 (12 ounce) package low carb/whole wheat elbow macaroni 1 egg 2 cups fat free milk 2 tablespoons margarine 2 1/2 cups shredded low fat cheddar cheese salt and pepper to taste Directions: 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish. 2 In a large pot of salted water, lightly boil the macaroni for about 5 minutes until half-cooked. 3 Whisk the egg and milk together in a large cup. Add butter and cheese to the egg and milk. Stir well. 4 Place the lightly cooked macaroni in the prepared baking dish. Pour the egg and cheese liquid over the macaroni, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir well. Press the mixture evenly around the baking dish. 5 Bake uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is brown. ------------------------------------------ South Beach Macaroni and Cheese 8 oz spelt or whole-wheat elbow pasta 1 Tbsp trans-fat-free margarine 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour 1 1/4 C fat-free half-and-half 1 C shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese 1/4 tsp salt 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper Heat oven to 400 degrees Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente (tender but still firm to the bite), about 6 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water for 30 seconds. While pasta is cooking, melt margarine in a wide, straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add flour, reduce heat to low, and whisk continuously until flour is incorporated and cooked, about 2 minutes. Add half-and-half, bring to a simmer, and cook, whisking frequently, until blended and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cheese, salt, and pepper; stir until blended. Add pasta and stir until coated and warmed, 1 minute. Transfer to an 8x8 baking dish and bake for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
jannineh99
on 7/18/06 9:09 am - Melrose, MA
OMG these sound yummy too...cannot wait to try them... Jannine
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/06 2:12 am - AZ
I saw this one on the food network, on Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger. It's easy and it tastes pretty good. The winter squash gives it the perfect color! Cooking spray 1 pound elbow macaroni 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen pureed winter squash 2 cups 1 percent lowfat milk 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/3 cups) 2 ounces Monterrey jack cheese, grated (about 2/3 cup) 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon powdered mustard 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan 1 teaspoon olive oil Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and coo****il tender but firm, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the squash with a spoon until it is defrosted. Turn the heat up to medium and coo****il the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the Cheddar, jack cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes so the top is crisp and nicely browned. Makes 8 Servings (for regular people!) Nutritional Analysis per Serving: Calories: 392 Total Fat: 11 grams Saturated Fat: 2 grams Protein: 18 grams Carbohydrates: 56 grams Fiber: 3.5 grams
timsdanni
on 7/18/06 6:52 am - Ft Stewart, GA
you got all kinds of ideas already but if you just want a little bit boil your noodles - make a white sauce with skim milk (1 cup maybe) and cornstarch (1 t) bring to a simmer and add low fat sharp cheader or any other low fat cheese you like to taste. add a tiny touch of nutmeg to the cheese sauce hint - the stronger the flavor of the cheese the less you need - I flavored a large pot of cream of tomatoe with about 2 oz of Guetera (sp?) and you could taste it, turned out very nice for not to many calories or fat also next time you make boxed mac and cheese for the kids - skip the butter, double the skim milk and then stir in low fat cheese to that. - better for the kiddos too danni
jannineh99
on 7/18/06 9:11 am - Melrose, MA
Thank you everyone who contributed....gonna have fun trying all these.... Jannine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views