Know your BMR

Darlene X
on 7/14/06 1:17 am - Maricopa, AZ
Ok, seeing I got the question in the what did ya eat thread about what a BMR is--- I thought I'd post it's own topic for those who have never heard of it before: "You use energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. The BMR Calculator will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day." It's pretty much the calories you burn just to keep your organs running... if you were in a comatose state..... it doesn't include any excersise or movement, you can calculate your BMR here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ (May have to copy & paste--- or google "BMR Calculator") So when I enter my info in for right now, I know that at the very minimum with no excerise Im burning 1919 calories a day. This gets lower the older you are (Slower metabolism), as you lose more weight (The less you weight the less calories your body uses) etc... so you may want to check back and work out your new BMR every 10-20lbs or so. It's a VERY important thing to know, because when you get to goal weight and your trying to maintain, or gain/lose it gives you an indication of what you need to eat to do so. If your BMR is 1500 calories, and your burning about 300 calories with excersise... then if you eat above 1800 calories a day you will gain weight Weight loss after all does simply come down to calories in, calories out....
RebekaA
on 7/14/06 3:08 am - Inland Empire, CA
This is really helpful. Thanks!
NickSINYC
on 7/14/06 10:18 am - Staten Island, NY
Darlene, Thanks for posting the link to the site. I'm sure I will be using it often as my weight continues to come down. Take care Nick
timsdanni
on 7/14/06 1:20 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
wow mine is over 2000 right now - so eating 1000 PLUS working out shoudl be a good thing my lose is slowing down but that is ok I suppose - I have 7 pounds to go to 100 and 8 to half way to goal. hoping to hit that before the end of july - Please Lord pretty Please than give myself 8-12 months to get the other half off - does that seem resonable to anyone else? danni 372/279/170
Tina K
on 7/16/06 9:10 am - Central, NY
Wow - thanks for posting this Darlene. My BMR is 1814.95 - and seeing as how I don't take in much more than 600 - 900 calories per day, no wonder I'm loosing weight! Tina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views