Recipe Request!

sngglnclos
on 7/13/06 10:34 pm - sw burbs, MN
This weekend we are having a WLS gathering and I'm trying to think of something to take that is wls friendly. All I can come up with is black bean taco dip. Any other suggestions....Darlene pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Darlene X
on 7/13/06 10:46 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Do you have an idea of the sort of thing you want? Something snacky/appetizer/bite type things... or a meal? crock pot type stuff? Thats a WIDE request LOL... are you looking for something easy? can you narrow it down slightly You know I love this sort of thing
sngglnclos
on 7/14/06 4:00 am - sw burbs, MN
Oh My...I should have known to narrow it down!! You are the Queen and I love your recipes!! Its just a appetizer/bite type/snacky thing.. I know I'm not much help am I?? I'd like something easy since its going to be over 100 here tomorrow...something light and not heavy on the pouch Thanks Darlene!!
sngglnclos
on 7/14/06 4:43 am - sw burbs, MN
YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS~!~ Now I'm hungry
Darlene X
on 7/14/06 4:37 am - Maricopa, AZ
100F...pffffttt was 116F here yesterday, no reason not to cook! LOL Ok here goes-- if there's nothing here you like, I can find plenty more: ------------------------------- ARTICHOKE AND SHRIMP DIP 6 oz. light cream cheese, softened 3/4 c. light mayonnaise 1 c. bottled medium picante sauce 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese 2 cans (14-oz. each) artichoke hearts, drained, diced 8 oz. frozen small bay shrimp, thawed, drained or 2 cans (4.5 oz. each) medium shrimp, rinsed, drained Whole wheat tortilla pieces, crackers or fresh vegetables of choice In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese, mayonnaise, picante sauce and Parmesan cheese. Stir in artichoke hearts and shrimp. Spoon into a shallow baking dish. Bake in a 350° oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm with chips, crackers or veggies. ------------------------------------------- CUCUMBER/SHRIMP APPETIZERS Mix together low-fat cream cheese, Ketchup and garlic powder to taste. Mixture should be pinkish (amount of Ketchup and garlic is up to you--I use about 1 T. Ketchup and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder maybe to an 8 oz. block of cream cheese). Score cucumbers down the sides with a fork and then slice. Spread cream cheese mixture on each slice and top with a piece or two of drained, rinsed canned shrimp. Note--I buying a can of medium, deveined shrimp for these appetizers. ---------------------------------------- HAM ROLLUPS Spread ham slices (sandwich type slices/boiled ham) with a thin layer of softened cream cheese. Cut a dill pickle into vertical sections (about 1/4 inch thick). Place the pickle on the cream cheese/ham slice and roll up. Chill. Cut into serving pieces (about 1 inch wide). --------------------------------- MEXICAN 1-2-3 DIP Layer the following in a pie plate: 8 oz. low-fat cream cheese, softened Can Hormel Chili No Beans layer of salsa layer of finely grated low-fat cheddar cheese Warm in microwave. Serve with Triscuits or whole wheat tortillas (cut into bite-size pieces and baked until crisp. You can spray them with Pam/olive oil and then sprinkle seasonings on them first). Note: Hormel chili is a little high in sugar and sodium, but for a special occasion it would be okay to treat. ---------------------------------- SPICED PECANS (P1) Beat one egg white and 1 tsp. cold water until good and frothy, but not stiff. Add 1 lb. pecan halves. Mix until coated. Mix together and stir in: 1/2 c. Splenda 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. salt Place on buttered pan. Bake at 225 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. SPICY SWEET PECANS--similar to above 1/4 c. Splenda 4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper 1 egg white 3 c. pecan Beat egg white lightly with whisk. Add sugar, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Add pecans and toss until coated. Spread evenly on lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375 oven 10 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven. Cool. Store in airtight container. ------------------------------------ Chunky Guacamole 4 ripe avocados 3 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon) 8 dashes hot pepper sauce 1/2 c. small-diced red onion 1 lg. garlic clove, minced 1 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1 medium tomato, seeded and small diced Cut the avocados in 1/2, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl. Immediately add the lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss well. Using a sharp knife, slice through the avocados in the bowl until they are finely diced. Add the diced tomatoes. Mix well and taste for salt and pepper. -------------------------------- Black Bean Dip 1 (15 ounce) can black beans 1/2 cup Miracle Whip 1/2 cup fat free or low fat sour cream 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro 1 teaspoon chili powder 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon salt 1/4 cup picante sauce 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 2. In a mixing bowl, mash the beans with a fork. Combine the salad dressing, sour cream, green chilies, cilantro, chili powder, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce. Blend well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. --------------------------------------- Roast Beef Roll-ups 2 Tbsp mayonnaise 2 Tbsp prepared horseradish 2 Tbsp sugar-free ketchup 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt 8 oz cream cheese, cubed Thoroughly blend all ingredients. After the flavors have blended (several hours), spread it on roast beef slices and roll it up. You could probably stuff these with the pickled asparagus or dill pickles too ------------------------------
Darlene X
on 7/14/06 4:37 am - Maricopa, AZ
100F...pffffttt was 116F here yesterday, no reason not to cook! LOL Ok here goes-- if there's nothing here you like, I can find plenty more: ------------------------------- ARTICHOKE AND SHRIMP DIP 6 oz. light cream cheese, softened 3/4 c. light mayonnaise 1 c. bottled medium picante sauce 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese 2 cans (14-oz. each) artichoke hearts, drained, diced 8 oz. frozen small bay shrimp, thawed, drained or 2 cans (4.5 oz. each) medium shrimp, rinsed, drained Whole wheat tortilla pieces, crackers or fresh vegetables of choice In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese, mayonnaise, picante sauce and Parmesan cheese. Stir in artichoke hearts and shrimp. Spoon into a shallow baking dish. Bake in a 350° oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm with chips, crackers or veggies. ------------------------------------------- CUCUMBER/SHRIMP APPETIZERS Mix together low-fat cream cheese, Ketchup and garlic powder to taste. Mixture should be pinkish (amount of Ketchup and garlic is up to you--I use about 1 T. Ketchup and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder maybe to an 8 oz. block of cream cheese). Score cucumbers down the sides with a fork and then slice. Spread cream cheese mixture on each slice and top with a piece or two of drained, rinsed canned shrimp. Note--I buying a can of medium, deveined shrimp for these appetizers. ---------------------------------------- HAM ROLLUPS Spread ham slices (sandwich type slices/boiled ham) with a thin layer of softened cream cheese. Cut a dill pickle into vertical sections (about 1/4 inch thick). Place the pickle on the cream cheese/ham slice and roll up. Chill. Cut into serving pieces (about 1 inch wide). --------------------------------- MEXICAN 1-2-3 DIP Layer the following in a pie plate: 8 oz. low-fat cream cheese, softened Can Hormel Chili No Beans layer of salsa layer of finely grated low-fat cheddar cheese Warm in microwave. Serve with Triscuits or whole wheat tortillas (cut into bite-size pieces and baked until crisp. You can spray them with Pam/olive oil and then sprinkle seasonings on them first). Note: Hormel chili is a little high in sugar and sodium, but for a special occasion it would be okay to treat. ---------------------------------- SPICED PECANS (P1) Beat one egg white and 1 tsp. cold water until good and frothy, but not stiff. Add 1 lb. pecan halves. Mix until coated. Mix together and stir in: 1/2 c. Splenda 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. salt Place on buttered pan. Bake at 225 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. SPICY SWEET PECANS--similar to above 1/4 c. Splenda 4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper 1 egg white 3 c. pecan Beat egg white lightly with whisk. Add sugar, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Add pecans and toss until coated. Spread evenly on lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375 oven 10 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven. Cool. Store in airtight container. ------------------------------------ Chunky Guacamole 4 ripe avocados 3 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon) 8 dashes hot pepper sauce 1/2 c. small-diced red onion 1 lg. garlic clove, minced 1 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1 medium tomato, seeded and small diced Cut the avocados in 1/2, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl. Immediately add the lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss well. Using a sharp knife, slice through the avocados in the bowl until they are finely diced. Add the diced tomatoes. Mix well and taste for salt and pepper. -------------------------------- Black Bean Dip 1 (15 ounce) can black beans 1/2 cup Miracle Whip 1/2 cup fat free or low fat sour cream 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro 1 teaspoon chili powder 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon salt 1/4 cup picante sauce 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 2. In a mixing bowl, mash the beans with a fork. Combine the salad dressing, sour cream, green chilies, cilantro, chili powder, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce. Blend well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. --------------------------------------- Roast Beef Roll-ups 2 Tbsp mayonnaise 2 Tbsp prepared horseradish 2 Tbsp sugar-free ketchup 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt 8 oz cream cheese, cubed Thoroughly blend all ingredients. After the flavors have blended (several hours), spread it on roast beef slices and roll it up. You could probably stuff these with the pickled asparagus or dill pickles too ------------------------------
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views