anyone have any good casseroles for us?

Melissa P.
on 7/13/06 4:46 am - Aurora, IL
I love casseroles, but so many of them are high in fat.
Tina K
on 7/13/06 5:35 am - Central, NY
I know that Darlene will charm in because she's got the most awesome recipes! But this is a favorite of mine. You can make it with non fat stuff, low fat stuff or mix the two for a better taste. Chicken Divan 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast 1 package of frozen broccoli florets 1 can cream of chicken soup (non fat or low fat) 1 cup of mayo (non fat or low fat) 1/4 cup of parm cheese (I always use regular, it just has a better taste) 2 tbsp lemon juice 2 tbsp chicken broth (I always have low fat/low sodium boxed broth on hand) First, mix the soup, mayo, cheese, lemon juice and chicken broth together. Set aside to allow flavors to "marry". You can do this the night before for even better flavor. Dice chicken into bite sized pieces. Saute until partially cooked in a pan with a few sprays of olive oil cooking spray Spray baking dish with cooking spray Spread broccoli on the bottom of the dish Spread partially cooked chicken over broccoli Spread sauce over the chicken I usually sprinkle with freshly grated parm cheese Into a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes until broccoli is soft and warm. Serve alone or with whole wheat pasta. Enjoy! This is a HUGE favorite around my house and I usually do everything low fat except for the mayo and cheese. Tina 315/232/140
Melissa P.
on 7/13/06 6:05 am - Aurora, IL
I will try ti! Thanks!
Darlene X
on 7/13/06 6:00 am - Maricopa, AZ
DID SOMEONE NEED RECIPES???? LOL YAY I THRIVE FOR THIS STUFF!!!! ------------------------------------ MIXED UP CASSEROLE 2 lbs of lean ground beef 1/2 cup onion, chopped 1/2 tsp garlic powder 6 oz. can of tomato paste 8 oz of fat free sour cream 1 cup of fat free cottage cheese 16 oz. of Jack cheese, shredded 1 4 oz can of mild green chilies, chopped 1 can of Ro-tels, undrained 1/4 cup black olives, chopped (optional) DIRECTIONS: *Pre-heat oven to 350. *Cook beef until browned. Drain and set aside. *In the same pan the beef was cooked in, add onion, garlic powder, Ro-tels, tomato paste, and olives. Cook over low heat until the onion is clear. *In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, cottage cheese and chilies. *In a larger mixing bowl, combine the meat, the sour cream and cottage cheese mixture. Add half of the cheese quantity, and mix slightly. *Pour mixture into a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Cover with remaining cheese. *Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. -------------------------------------------------- Seven Layer Mexican-Style Casserole 6 oz cooked shredded chicken 1 can fat-free refried pinto or black beans (I use Eden Organic®) 1 cup salsa 4 oz shredded low-fat cheddar cheese Shredded lettuce to taste Tabasco to taste 4 tbsp low-fat sour cream Pre-heat the oven to 350*. Mist an 8 x 8 with oil and spread beans evenly within the dish. Then layer with chicken, salsa and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated all the way through. Cut into 4 slices and plate. Top each portion with shredded lettuce, Tabasco and 1 tbsp sour cream. ------------------------------------------------ MEXICAN SPINACH & HAMBURGER CASSEROLE 1 pound ground turkey breast 1/2 medium onion, chopped, 2 ounces 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained 1 can black beans 8 ounce light cream cheese, softened 1/3 cup light sour cream 2 tsp. chili powder 1 tsp. cumin 10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes, drained (diced tomatoes with green chiles) 1/4 cup canned sliced pickled jalapeños 1 Tblsp. chopped cilantro Salt and pepper, to taste Brown the turkey burger and onion. Put in a greased 2 1/2-quart casserole along with all remaining ingredients. Mix well and bake at 350º for about 40 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top. Can be frozen. ------------------------------------- Savoy Sausages It's really easy and yummy. You could start it the night before and just bake it when you get home from work which couldn't be any more convenient, I would double the veggies (including cabbage) to meat ratio, and I would slice up the sausages before putting them on the cabbage. 3 c. savoy cabbage, sliced thin (about half a head) 4 large italian seasoned sausages (could be chicken or turkey sausage) 2 c. sliced mushrooms 1 c. sliced onions 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 t. fennel seeds Place cabbage in casserole dish sprayed with Pam. Brown sausages on all sides and lay on top of the cabbage. In the same pan, sautee mushrooms, onion, garlic and fennel seed until onions are tender. Smother sausages and cabbage with mushroom-onion mixture. Cover casserole (I used tin foil) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve ---------------------------------------------- Down Home Casserole This is a great all-in-one pan recipe. It is good when you want something easy and have all your vegetables and protein in one dish. I don't measure anymore. I just use whatever vegetables I have and saute them together. Then I stir in the sausages; cover and coo****il sausages are hot. Here is the original recipe: 6 slices bacon (use turkey bacon) 4 potatoes - peeled and sliced thin 1 large head fresh broccoli, chopped 1/2 cup chopped celery 2 carrots, chopped 1 onion, chopped 1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces (use turkey, chicken low-fat sausage) salt and pepper to taste In a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat, fry the bacon until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon and leave the fat in the skillet (with turkey bacon you may need to add a little olive oil). Then place the potatoes, broccoli, celery, carrots, and onion, reduce heat to medium and saute for 5 minutes. Place the kielbasa over all, to allow the juices to trickle down over the vegetables. Saute for 5 to 10 more minutes, or to desired tenderness on the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste, crumble the reserved bacon and return it to the skillet, and stir to combine. ------------------------------------------ FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE 9 slices (about 12 oz.) of 100% whole wheat bread of your choice 6 eggs 2 1/4 cups milk (I use 1%) 3 tsp. Splenda 3/4 tsp. vanilla 1/2 tsp. salt Cut the bread into med. sized chunks (3/4" to 1" or so) and place in a 9x13" casserole that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Beat all other ingredients together and pour over the top. Cover casserole and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dot top with 2 TBSP Smart Balance (in small chunks) and sprinkle a mixture of 3 TBSP Splenda and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Cover with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes (often takes longer). Knife inserted in middle should come out clean when done. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with Spring Tree S/F syrup! Yum. If you cut it in 9 pieces, a serving is just one slice of bread. Great served with 2 slices of Canadian bacon. --------------------------------------------- Hot Tuna Casserole Heat oven to 350 4 cans water packed chunk light tuna, drained. 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced 1 small onion, chopped 1 large carrot, small dice 1/4 cup peas, frozen 3T olive oil 1T flour 1 cup fat free 1/2 & 1/2 1 cup low fat (lf) cheese (I used lf colby and a lf american) 2 cups cooked low carb pasta Salt & pepper In a preferably non-stick skillet, saute the onions, carrot and mushrooms for 10-12 mins over med heat. You want the mixture on the dry side. Add the flour, stir and cook 1 min, reduce heat to low. Add the 1/2 & 1/2 and stir. Add the cheese to melt. In a 2 q casserole srayed with pam, place the pasta, the tuna, and the peas. stir. Pour the melted cheese mix over the tuna mixture, and stir to blend. Place in 350 oven for 20-30 mins, until bubbly. If you want your casserole more creamy, cover while baking.
Melissa P.
on 7/13/06 6:07 am - Aurora, IL
Thanks! It sounds good!
Laura A.
on 7/13/06 8:49 am - Manteca, CA
Oh Man, Darlene....these sound soooo Yummy. Thanks!!!! Laura A.
NickSINYC
on 7/13/06 11:42 am - Staten Island, NY
Darlene, Your recipes always look so good. I think the only thing better than having your recipes would be having you here cooking for me. Take care Nick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views