July 4th!!! Menu?

Darlene X
on 6/27/06 8:59 am - Maricopa, AZ
So it's next week, what is everyones plans? What's on your menu? We are meeting with our best friends Deena & Aaron--- Aarons sister and family are in CA the whole month of July, so they are house sitting. His sister owns an amazing million dollar home... the kind of place you envy (I do everytime we go there LOL) with a HUGE backyard that cost $300k+ to landscape... we are talking huge swimming pool with waterfall, jaccuzzi, big built in BBQ and kitchen, guest home... lots of fun! We are going to hang out there, swim, BBQ and then go find some fireworks. Our menu: Chicken Kebabs (Chicken, Onion, Bell pepper, Pineapple & Cherry Tomatoes) Fresh Watermelon Devilled Eggs Corn on the Cobb Potato Salad & Crystal Lite It should be a beautiful 100F + day...... Im thinking I better get out the sunblock... Anyone looking for recipe ideas? Sides to take to a family picnic? You know I love my recipes.... let me know...
Mama-of-3
on 6/27/06 10:49 am - Philadelphia area, PA
Darlene, I need to take a dish over to a friends house. I was thinking something in the pasta family that is as healthy as you can get considering it's pasta! lol Or something for dessert. Whatever you have that is festive with lots of color. TIA Darlene! You're the BEST! Trish
Darlene X
on 6/28/06 1:35 am - Maricopa, AZ
Ali gave some good ideas below for a pasta salad... another good pasta salad is cook whatever pasta you want... whole wheat would be the healthiest....mix in chopped sun dried tomatoes, basil, kalamata olives, feta cheese, and very finely minced garlic. drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. chill before serving. There is a thread a few days back, ok maybe last week titled "Evil salad"... I made a YUMMY salad someone suggested on the main board, made with 3 cheese tortelinni.... you can add whatever you want to that too!
sngglnclos
on 6/27/06 11:47 pm - sw burbs, MN
yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmy! how about any wls friendly recipes for: baked beans? I have a fast simple pasta salad recipe... what ever pasta you like...I use bow tie pasta - 1 box any veges - broccoli, califlower, celery, cucumber, onion, olives, peppers, grape tomatoes and shredded cheese..anything your heart desires...you can even add bacon if you want to add additional protien I then use either Italian Dressing or Kraft Italian Pesto - I i use the Italian dressing I add it at least 2-3 hours before serving...With the pesto you can add right before serving
Darlene X
on 6/28/06 1:26 am - Maricopa, AZ
Here are a few low/no sugar Baked bean recipes: Easy BBQ Beans One can Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained 1/2 Bottle of Kraft Low Carb BBQ sauce. 1/4 cup chopped green pepper 2 slices bacon, chopped 1/2 red onion, chopped 1 tsp SweetNLow Brown Sugar Subsitute Saute the bacon and onion together until nearly cooked, drain. Add them back to the pan along with the pepper and cook for a few minutes more. Then add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low for 10 minutes. ------------------------------------ Baked Beans 2 cups dry navy beans or small white beans 8 cups water 1 can diced tomatoes (796 ml) 4 oz lean black forest ham chopped 1 large red onion finely chopped 1 can tomato paste (156 ml) 1/4 cup brown sugar substitute-** **Makes: enough to replace 1 cup standard brown sugar 1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular 1/4 cup Sugar-Free Maple Syrup 2 Tbls. dijon mustard 1 Tbls worcestershire sauce 2 tsp tabasco 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp black pepper Rinse beans a place in large pot filled with water, cover and let stand over night. Next day drain and rinse. Add 8 cups of water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Drain the beans and reserve cooking liquid. preheat oven to 300 f. Pour sauce ingredients into a small mixing bowl and mix well. In large pot combine 1 cup reserved liquid, beans and BBQ sauce ingredients. Cover and bake for 2 1/2 hours, uncover and cook 1 hour till thick. ---------------------------------- Baked Beans 1 can navy beans 1 medium onion 1 sliced bacon (Turkey bacon if you'd like lower fat0 1 Tbs. Sugar Twin brown sugar 1/4 cup sugar-free maple syrup Salt and pepper to taste 1/4 tsp. dried mustard Preheat oven to 350F. Drain beans. Reserve liquid. Cut turkey bacon in small bit pieces. In a skillet cook bacon until crispy. Remove turkey bacon and in same skillet sauté onions. Set aside. Layered beans, onion and turkey bacon in ungreased bean pot, caserole or Dutch oven. Mix brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, mustard, and reserved bean liquid; pour over beans. Add enough liquid to almost cover beans. Cover and cook in 350F oven, stirring occassionally 30 to 45 minutes or until beans are desired consistency.
BabyRuth2u
on 6/28/06 4:55 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Personally, I'm booking airline tickets as I type and Dave and I are coming to spend the day with you!!! LOL Sounds like a great time, enjoy!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views