Hair Loss

MsKeara
on 6/11/06 3:49 am - Baldwin, WI
Hello Everyone! As most of you may know, I've had my hair in braids for the better part of the last three years. I take them down every 6 weeks for about a day and then I braid it right back up. The last time I had my hair braided was about 10 days post op. I've been afraid to take it down since. Last night I braced myself and took them down. I freaked out when I saw the hair on my shirt and the floor. The brush was so full it couldn't hold any more. In total, I'd say I shed enough hair to reconstruct a small poodle. It was much more than I normally shed when I take my hair down. On the happy side, the hair that didn't shed seems to have tripled in thickness. Trying to get the brush through it was near impossible. If it were not for the hair on the floor, I would have said that I didn't shed a single hair. Is anyone else noticing anything with their hair. I'm about 10 weeks out so the next time I take my hair down, I may be in for a HUGE surprise. Maybe by then (3 1/2 to 4 months post op) my body will be fully adjusted and I will still have my hair. I bought a really cute wig just in case. Have a Happy Sunday! MsKeara
~ Stylz ~
on 6/11/06 4:52 am - North of Boston, MA
I started finding more than usual hair loss in the shower when I wash my hair. I've been taking 1000mcg of biotin daily since surgery and started taking another pill before going to bed (2000mcg total per day) I also went out and bought the sample pack of nioxin hopefully it will keep hair loss to a minimum.
timsdanni
on 6/11/06 5:18 am - Ft Stewart, GA
mine is falling out bad - I dry my very very short hair with a seperate towel b/c otherwise I cry b/c I was covered with hair after every shower. I am almost 3 months out danni ENJOYING THE JOURNEY
Veronica
on 6/11/06 5:31 am
I, too, have started to experience some hair loss. I hope that it doesn't get any worse than where it is right now. I am not losing a ton, but definitely more than I normally do from washing or brushing my hair. I bought some Biotin pills a few weeks back, but I haven't started taking them. I told my husband that they are supposed to help with hair growth, however I'm afraid that if I start taking them, I might start growing a beard or sideburns. My husband cracked up at me, but it's the truth. I don't have that problem now, but with my luck, you never know. Anyways, I think that I am going to start taking them on Monday, and if I see any single strand of hair growing in a place that it should not be growing in, that's it! No more Biotin for me. Veronica 284/202/130
~ Stylz ~
on 6/11/06 10:30 am - North of Boston, MA
LOL you're too funny Veronica!! I can tell you in 3 months I've been taking biotin I haven't felt any beards or sideburns come in lol Actually, I had awful nails before taking them and now they actually grow! I also went for a hair cut 2 weeks ago because my hair was getting way too long. hope that helps you decide about biotin.
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/06 5:35 am - PA
Yep. My hair is falling out too. I have lots of it, so its not noticeable to other people. But in the shower, at the sink, in my brush, on my chair at work...there are lots of strands of hair!! We are having friends over for 4th of July and I was thinking I should probably wear a hair net while I am cooking for them! I'm getting enough protien and eating the way I should. My surgeon and nutritionist warned that this happens for everyone at this stage and that it won't go on forever - as long as I continue to follow the program. Kathy
Beckii
on 6/11/06 7:23 am - Saint Louis, MO
I'm losing quite a bit more (hair) than normal as well. Sigh. I hope the weight loss speeds up to match. Think I need to invest in Draino for the tub/sink too. For those of you taking the biotin, are the tablets big or tiny? I still have trouble swallowing pills.
~ Stylz ~
on 6/11/06 10:34 am - North of Boston, MA
Rebecca I have the same problem with swallowing pills! I bought these at vitamin world and theres a picture of the pill on the label. Its a small pill, about as big as an advil pill but flatter (if you remember the advil days pre-op )
Stephanie Smiles
on 6/11/06 8:57 am - My Town, NH
Count me in too. I lose a ton of hair in the shower and need to clean my brush daily now. I do have thick hair so I'm hopeful that it won't be that noticeable. It is difficult, though, to see the drain full of hair after a shower or to be sitting in a meeting at work and discover your clothes have lots of hair on them. I'm not taking anything to combat the hair loss, just trying to follow the rules and wait it out. If it gets too stringy, I'll try a new haircut or something. It took a long time to grow out my hair from a botched haircut so I hope I don't need to cut it too short! Good luck everyone. The good news is that it does pass! (My doctor swore on his first-born child that it wouldn't last forever! ) - Stephanie
Beckers
on 6/11/06 1:03 pm - Cottage Grove, OR
I'm losing TONS of hair! I used to be KNOWN for my THICK hair, and now its so much thinner, I'm just not the same person I was before... I was taking Biotin for a while (the first month post-op) but I just get overwhelmed with pills. I never took so many pills in my life!! I'm taking about 12 pills a day! I was only taking 300mg of Biotin a day, so I don't know if it really would've helped. I'm not doing so well on protein lately. I have not kept track of protein for a few weeks now I have been GAGGING on things a lot, all protein shakes make me gag, and smells bother me. I know I need to get back on track... So I figure that's why my hair is coming out. But I think people lose hair around this time no matter what. Its temporary and it will come back later. I just hope I don't go bald. Rebecca 269/208/150
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views