Now it all makes sense!

AZGirl
on 6/4/06 4:52 am - On the coast of somewhere beautiful
Hi Everyone, I too had surgery in March, but I am mostly a lurker. I've grown quite fond of all of you through your posts , and after much consideration, I decided I would post something that may be helpful to others. I had my 2 month appointment this past Wednesday. I wasn't too excited, because I am a "slow" loser and have "only" lost 36 pounds since surgery. But, since one week post op, I have been walking 2-4 miles every day and I was frustrated because I couldn't figure out why the scale wasn't moving since I was doing all this exercise. You know how people tell you "You're probably gaining muscle" and you're like "Yeah, whatever, what counts is the number on the scale!"? Well, that was me. So, I go to my appointment and my doctor's office has one of those sophisticated Tanita scales that prints out your body composition stats. Yes, I only lost 36 pounds, but guess what? I gained 7.5 pounds in muscle!!! So, they said my real loss was 43.5 pounds!!! I felt so good about this and he said I had every right to. He also said that the muscle figure is the one that tells them the most information about you. They can tell if you are getting all your protein in and if you are following through with your exercise program/committment. Plus, I get to add weights into my workout program now and I have challenged myself to gain even more muscle in the next two months. So, I guess I wanted to let others know that if they feel they are losing slowly and are exercising, then you probably ARE gaining muscle. I saw the proof in black and white. Plus, I have gone down 4 sizes and people are beginning to comment on my loss. My calves are much slimmer and I don't have any loose skin yet on my legs. So, everyone keep up the good work following through with your protein requirements and exercise program!! Stuff is happening in your body that you probably aren't even aware of yet!! Joanne
timsdanni
on 6/4/06 5:51 am - Ft Stewart, GA
WOW that is great - wish I had acsess to one of those scales - from what I understand the comercial ones are way better than the cheaper home versions. you are doing great! keep up the good work Danni ENJOY THE JOURNEY
Melissa P.
on 6/4/06 6:02 am - Aurora, IL
I had the exact sale thing! My doctor said that it was very good that I gained muscle, and still lost weight.
jennb40
on 6/4/06 8:45 am - Nashua, NH
Good for you Joanne...that is wonderful. Isn't it amazing how good you feel? Please don't "lurk" anymore...jump in and join this wonderful group of MARCHers! You are home now! Barbara
RebekaA
on 6/4/06 1:20 pm - Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the board! and congrats on the wonderful news. You're doing a great job!
Beckii
on 6/4/06 9:59 pm - Saint Louis, MO
Way to go, Joanne! That is wonderful! I'm losing a bit slowly, too -- but certainly not building as much muscle as you. Now that school's out (I teach) I'm going to start walking and hopefully build up the good stuff! Congratulations and thanks for being an inspiration! Becca
Stephanie Smiles
on 6/5/06 1:00 am - My Town, NH
Hi Joanne! Thanks for posting this. It is helpful to think about the muscle we are gaining and consider that when looking at total weight loss. Congratulations on your amazing success. Let us know how you progress and post so that we can celebrate with you! - Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views