Wings, flaps and skin OH MY!

BabyRuth2u
on 6/1/06 4:19 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, so who else now is getting the bat wings? My belly seems ok so far, it's shrinking, but fear as it gets smaller it's going to start wrinkling like heck too. But my arms today I was watching as I worked out. I'm looking at them now and trying to figure out what the hell types of exercise I'm going to do to make them go away the best I can. I know PS is going to be the answer, but I honestly don't know if we'll be able to afford any PS. At least not without taking a loan on the house or something, which I don't want to do. But as of late my arms are starting to hang. I do some extra arm exercises when I workout, but dont think I'm doing enough or not enough variety to tone up the triceps. I can make a muscle and my bicep is rock hard, but underneath is just starting to wrinkle and hang. Anyone think there are any miracles like yes it will hang now but keep up the good work and it will shrink right up and be smooth! Think that could happen? LOL I know only two arm exercises that are to be for triceps, but don't think they're doing good enough job. Any suggestions?? It almost seems like having the arms fat and full is better than this. I know it's not, but this wrinkling hanging skin isn't pretty. We went to a support meeting the other night that has a PS there. It is amazing what PS can do to change the contour and shape of the body of a person who has had wls once they've maintained. But OMG it looks very painful and very costly. Something that painful shouldn't be so expensive. Isn't the pain pay enough??? lol I just cannot imagine going under for 3, 4, 5 or more hours. I feel that is much riskier than the wls I had. I don't want to be under ever again. That was my biggest fear having this surgery that I would die while under. I'm a bit of a control freak, I like to be in control, I don't like having others control my breathing! Good thing from the meeting was that the surgeon who is one of the authors of the book shown on this OH site "Body Contouring Surgery after Weight Loss , Dr. Rubin gave away about 7 copies of the book and I was one of the peoples names drawn. So it is good to have it for reference on steps to take, precautions, insurance etc etc. Very interesting showing all the different types of PS, where they take the skin, before and after pics. Oh well, guess I shouldnt worry too much about it until the time comes that I've got to a maintaining weight and then see whats what. In the meantime I guess it's going to be a mid to long sleeve Summer! I'll be HOT HOT HOT!! LOL
Melissa P.
on 6/1/06 4:42 am - Aurora, IL
I know that firming lotion will not help all of this, but I used it for the 1st time yesterday, and it does help. It is amazing how much tighter my skin felt after one application!
BabyRuth2u
on 6/1/06 4:55 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hey Melissa, Thanks for the response. I saw you post about firming lotion, which one was it? My first thought is OMG I'll need a whole tub full to support these arms! Where did you apply it? Are you using it everywhere? I have used some stuff on my face, on my neck. I had bought some stuff from QVC before, there was a kit from Philosophy line, this product is called "when hope is not enough".. LOL I have no hope for my arms I fear. It does seem to help some of the loose skin on my neck. I think I might do ok with that in time. I have read where some of the skin areas fill back out, re-distribute after about two years. So I'll hope my face balances out later. Again, whats the name of the firming lotion. I may give it a try on my arms, but not sure how much help it will be. But, heck you never know. In the meantime I'll just keep workin'em!
Melissa P.
on 6/1/06 5:17 am - Aurora, IL
I figure it is worth a try! I just bought Sauve firming lotion at Walmart. I put it on my tummy, chest, upper arms (bat wings), and thighs. That is where the directions said to put it. They must know my bad areas! You are supposed to apply it in a circular motion.
Mary M.
on 6/1/06 6:52 am - Livonia, MI
I am also getting the bat wings. I hate them. I read another post from another member a while back that said she is building her biceps up by lifting weights and this is filling out the sag. I think I will try that. Anything is better than nothing. I don't think I will be able to afford a bunch of PS either. Good Luck, Mary
Beckers
on 6/1/06 1:38 pm - Cottage Grove, OR
Yep, its been more and more apparent that I, too, suffer from bat wings. The last couple weeks I've been trying to work my arms extra with weights, but I'm not sure how much its going to help. I've been contemplating PS already (by Summer 2007, I figure). Here's an exercise I've been doing: Use a 6 lbs. (or more) dumbell (weight) Stand, holding the dumbell Bend over (you can kneel at a bench, or just bend over with knees bent) Hold the weight at your waist (elbows bent) Then lift the weight (backwards) towards the ceiling, keeping your arm tight to your side Your elbow should be the only thing bending, keep the arm tight to your side Your "batwing" area of your arm should be pointing up towards the ceiling as you lift the weight Do as many repetitions as you can, like 20-30 reps, then switch arms, and repeat I hope I described it ok... its hard to describe in writing... Remember, as a rule, that whatever muscle you want to "work out" must be pointed towards the ceiling for maximum effect. There's a member on the main messageboard that has a profile with EXTENSIVE pictures and links to her photo albums, of before and after. She's had about 4 surgeries, after losing so much weight. She's now a personal trainer for Bally Total Fitness. I'll find her profile link and post it here, for anyone who is interested. Rebecca M. 269/215/150
sngglnclos
on 6/1/06 11:28 pm - sw burbs, MN
Thanks Rebecca!
BabyRuth2u
on 6/2/06 12:59 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Rebecca, Yes that is one of the ones I do. I know what you mean. That along with doing it over your head also. Hold weight up and bend arm at the elbow behind your head. I'm not sure if they really work, but I'll keep doing them. LOL I also know which member you speak of. I think I have her profile bookmarked. Im surprised I had the surgery after seeing her stuff. I looked at it a week or so before surgery and bawled my eyes out, it was pretty disturbing, the pics after wls but before PS. From 345 start, technically I need also to loose 200 plus lbs like this lady did and the thought of having that much skin just hanging around is petrifying. I know everyone is different etc, so we'll just have to weight and see. I just can't imagine we could ever afford "all" the PS I would need in all areas, so if I decide to get brave enough to do any, it will have to be selective and I guess the most needed. I guess you can hide and support other areas, but the bat wings are hard to hide. Thanks for the exercise info!
BabyRuth2u
on 6/2/06 1:03 am - Pittsburgh, PA
OMG! I must be brain dead this morning. Loose does not equal lose and weight does not equal wait. Sheesh!! LOL My fingers must have a mind of their own this morning. Hope everyone has a good day!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views