Beans, Beans, Beans!!!

Darlene X
on 6/1/06 8:14 am - Maricopa, AZ
We know they are yummy and good for us, they help with any consipation... and keep ya regular, they are a GOOD carb, and if anyone is having stinky breath isues because of ketosis, beans will help!!!. Try some of these recipes. PIZZA BEANS: 1 Jar Trader Joe's Bruschetta (Costco Also sells Bruschetta) 1 lb. Dried large lima beans, sorted, washed and cooked according to directions, but slightly undercooked (can use canned, rinsed and drained 12 oz. water Gently stir together the bruschetta and beans. Rinse bruschetta sauce jar out with 12 oz. water and stir water into beans. Gently place beans in ovenproof cassarole. To make beans creamer, sprinkle 2 tbs. olive oil on top. Bake at 350 until beans are hot and bubbly, about 1 1/2-2 hours. The longer these cook, the better they taste, but you can eat them without the added water and baking time. Can be served hot, warm or cold.... but it's best warm with shredded low fat cheddar cheese. ----- I had never had Lima beans before, and tried this recipe, OMG it's amazing! My family was visiting and everyone LOVED these. If you can't get Bruschetta sauce try this: Bruschetta Sauce: 4 medium tomatoes 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped 2 to 3 cloves minced garlic 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Salt and Pepper to taste ___________________________________________ TANGY BEAN SALAD: 1/4 c. vinegar 2 TBSP Splenda 1 tsp. grated onion 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. celery seed 1/4 tsp. dry mustard 1/8 tsp. paprika 1/4 c. canola oil 1/2 cucumber, diced 1/2 c. celery, diced 1 can kidney beans (15 oz) In medium bowl, combine vinegar, splenda, onion, salt, celery seeds, dry mustard and paprika. Whisk in canola oil. Add kidney beans, cucumber and celery. _______________________________________________________ BAKED BEANS: 1 Can Navy Beans 1 Medium onion 4 Slices of bacon/turkey bacon 1 Tbs. Sugar Twin brown sugar 1/4 cup SF maple syrup Salt and pepper to taste 1/4 tsp. dried mustard Preheat oven to 350F. Drain beans. Reserve liquid. Cut bacon in small bit pieces. In a skillet cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and in same skillet sauté onions. Set aside. Layer beans, onion and turkey bacon in ungreased bean pot, caserole or Dutch oven. Mix brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, mustard, and reserved bean liquid; pour over beans. Add enough liquid to almost cover beans. Cover and cook in 350F oven, stirring occassionally 30 to 45 minutes or until beans are desired consitency. _____________________________________________________ LAYERED BLACK BEAN SALAD: 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 3 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar 1 tablespoon prepared mustard Salt and freshly ground black pepper 12 cups baby spinach leaves, stems removed, loosely packed 3 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes or diced tomato 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into quarters and thinly sliced 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cut into quarters and thinly sliced 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed 1 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, diced (optional) In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set this dressing aside. In a deep, clear container, layer the salad as follows: spinach leaves, tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, beans, and shredded cheese. Top the salad with the avocado. Top with dressing just before serving. _______________________________________________________ CHOCOLATE BEAN CAKE Chocolate Bean Cake 1 15 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed) 4 large eggs, seperated 1/2 cup Splenda 3 TBSP baking cocoa 2 TBSP strong coffee (or 1 TBSP espresso powder or coffee dissolved in 1 TBSP ho****er) 1 tsp baking powder 2 TBSP Smart Beat spread or canola oil 1 tsp vanilla 2 TBSP chopped walnuts or hazelnuts-optional Preheat oven to 350. Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with Pam. Blend the egg yolks,splenda,baking powder, Smart Beat (or oil), vanilla, coffee, & cocoa in a blender or with a stick blender. Add the rinsed & drained beans & puree until smooth. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl if using a blender. In a seperate bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the bean mixture to lighten the bean mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites in two portions. It's OK if some white streaks remain in the batter. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts if desired. Tap the pan on counter a couple of times to release any air pockets. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing. Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:02 am Post subject: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here's the Chocolate Bean Cake recipe, I honestly can't remember if it was ever posted to this bean thread, I know it was a separate thread many months ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the white bean cake recipe in my computer files. Chocolate Bean Cake 1 15 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed) 4 large eggs, seperated 1/2 cup Splenda 3 TBSP baking cocoa 2 TBSP strong coffee (or 1 TBSP espresso powder or coffee dissolved in 1 TBSP ho****er) 1 tsp baking powder 2 TBSP Smart Beat spread or canola oil 1 tsp vanilla 2 TBSP chopped walnuts or hazelnuts-optional Preheat oven to 350. Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with Pam. Blend the egg yolks,splenda,baking powder, Smart Beat (or oil), vanilla, coffee, & cocoa in a blender or with a stick blender. Add the rinsed & drained beans & puree until smooth. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl if using a blender. In a seperate bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the bean mixture to lighten the bean mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites in two portions. It's OK if some white streaks remain in the batter. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts if desired. Tap the pan on counter a couple of times to release any air pockets. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 16 2"x2" servings. Variations: Chocolate peanut butter: add 2 TBSP natural peanut butter to the bean mixture. Sprinkle top with chopped peanuts if desired. Chocolate hazelnut: Add 1 TBSP sugar-free hazelnut syrup or 1/4 tsp hazelnut extract to the bean mixture. Sprinkle the top with chopped hazelnuts if desired.
Darlene X
on 6/1/06 8:16 am - Maricopa, AZ
Ugh the last recipe posted twice, by accident. I can't wait till we can edit our posts on this forum LOL
Beckers
on 6/1/06 1:21 pm - Cottage Grove, OR
Darlene, You must have been reading my mind! Today I lived off of beans, because of my renewed struggles with the BIG C... *sigh* Thanks for the recipes and ideas! Rebecca M. 269/215/150
Heather_O
on 6/2/06 8:07 am - WI
Thanks for the baked beans recipie my family loves them but the store brands are loaded with sugar so I cant wait to try this one on them Heather
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views