Protein and Protein bars: post from another board

BabyRuth2u
on 5/31/06 1:38 am - Pittsburgh, PA
After reading MsKeara's post about her protein bar experience I came across this post on the PA board. Thought it had some helpful information so passed it along. I thought also there was a good point to view regarding protein bars and the amount of protein you get from them vs protein drinks, the high calories etc. Enjoy! Posted by Caroline: Just posted this as a response to a question in the main board and thought it might help others here: A question was asked in OH about liquid protein. Here was my response... Hope it helps others reading: Hi there, If you don't like the protein powders you've tried so far, I can guarantee you that you won't like Proteinex or any of the other liquid proteins. They are beyond disgusting, and if you want proof, check out the condo that I used to live in in SoCal - 2 1/2 years later, Proteinex was STILL on my kitchen wall after literally gagging and spitting it back up when I was early out. OK, this being said, don't give up on protein powders just get. There are SOOOOOOOOOOO many out there - some are nasty, others are great. What one person may like, another won't. Moreso, being so new out, if you are like the great majority of postops newly out from surgery (the first few months), your tastes are different than they used to be (and will be) so some foods (especially sweet things) will taste odd (chemical, etc.). A few protein drinks that people do seem to flock to: Syntrax Nectar fuzzy navel Syntrax Matrix 5.0 (vanilla or chocolate) Problend 55 Worldwide Pure Protein (in the cans though keep in mind this is calcium casseinate and not whey protein - you want the latter) Isopure Zero Carb (look like fruit juices in the bottles (personally I can't stand these but I know MANY who absolutely love them) Champion Pure Whey Stack (same as above applies) VHT Real Protein - the strawberry is especially good Labrada ProV-60 (all flavors) You can get samples on these off of sites like www.vitalady.com or www.bariatriceating.coim but remember to not base your decision as to whether you like it or not just on one try. First time you try a protein powder, you may not like it and then the 2nd or 3rd time you might find you adore it. Similiarly, you may not like something now, but in a month or two you may love it. What I'd recommend is getting your protein powders at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC (though GNC offers much less of a selection). Try out the powder for a week and if you still can't stand it, then you can return it for credit. Just remember to keep your receipt. Getting in protein is VERY important especially during the weight loss phase. While you are losing weight, you want to ensure that you can keep as much muscle as possible on the way down in weight. If you aren't lifting weights, if your cardio exercise is not weight bearing (ie: stationary bike, water aerobics, swimming, etc.) and not getting in rest and not getting in proper nutrition (whi*****ludes protein), you are guaranteed to lose a lot of muscle while losing the weight. This is NOT how you want to lose your weight. In terms of how much protein you should get in per day, most drs will tell you between 60 to 70 g per day. Remember, this is based on a NORMAL weighted person and not someone who looking to lose weight and keep muscle while losing. For those who've been very successful with their weight loss and have reached goal looking and being very healthy (including myself), you'll find that protein intake is usually over 100 g per day. Just to add, don't be fooled thinking you can get your protein in from protein bars. Protein bars usually get their protein from soy and other less quality proteins, are high in fats (including saturated fat), are high in sugar and/or sugar alcohol, and high in calories. For 25 g of protein in a bar, expect to take in about 300 calories. Compare this to 25 g of high quality protein for 120 calories in a good protein drink. As for those who say, "I'll just get my protein in from food", if you are like 99% of RNY postops, there's no way one can eat enough of high protein foods to get in enough protein during the early months out from surgery. Again, you NEED to keep your protein high while losing weight if you plan on keeping muscle while losing.... Hope this helps! Caroline
timsdanni
on 5/31/06 2:58 am - Ft Stewart, GA
thanks for sharing - this goes with what I have found - I persoanlly can only keep down mixed berry 100% whey from GNC - I go though about $30 a month of it with a daily triple shake but that is 60 grams of protien I get no matter what else happens that day danni
cathelewis
on 5/31/06 11:12 am
Thanks for posting this, Ruth Ann. Getting enough protein in is a daily struggle for me. I've tried several kinds of protein shakes, and here are the ones I like: Syntrax Nectar fuzzy navel and lemonade Zero Carb Isopure powder chocolate and vanilla. Pineapple orange is also good. The fruit punch flavor is not bad, but not really good. I drink the premixed Isopure from the glass bottles in a pinch, but I find it has a really weird aftertaste. Protein Delite banana yogurt is probably my all-time favorite. If you can tolerate milk or soy milk, I've found that mixing the protein powder with milk instead of water makes it more palatable. Cathe
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views