Birth control options

sparkles
on 5/31/06 2:32 am - North Richland Hills, TX
So I'm ready to go back on birth control and I can't quite figure out what is best for me.. The depo seems the easiest, but I don't know... Any suggestions or feedback?
timsdanni
on 5/31/06 2:56 am - Ft Stewart, GA
my doc reserached depo for me - here is what she found basically depo is ok for up to ONE yr after that your risk for weight gain and brittle bones goes way up. the other thing is you are risking a 3 month long peroid or having no period depo also give you 3-18 months of infertillity AFTER your last shot the IUD with hormones is suppose to work better b/c the hormones are right in your female organs and don't effect the rest of you as much (I have personal issues with IUDs and would not do one personally but they are great for most people) good ol condoms if you aren't real active the patch is only good UNDER 250 pounds ( I guess us fat girls aren't suppose to be enojying active sex lives - they are WRONG LOL) pills may or may not obsorb well after surgery - my surgeon suggest using a barrier method (my question is why take the pill if I have to use condoms ANYHOW????) my OBGYN agreed with him so to me pills are out. my personal choice was the depo shot for 3 times and then we will go to the patch till I am 2yrs out and then we are getting PREGNANT me being healthy enough to carry a baby to term is one of the resons I did this surgery ok that is my 2 cents danni 372/303/170 come ON 200s
(deactivated member)
on 5/31/06 3:02 am - AZ
Have you considered NuvaRing? It's very easy to use and it doesn't have the weight restriction that that patch has. I've been on it since the month after it was available in pharmacies. Last I checked you could get a coupon for one month free on the nuvaring web site. If you don't like it then you haven't spent any money. Good luck! Elizabeth
Melissa P.
on 5/31/06 3:05 am - Aurora, IL
I have been on Deop forever. I had to go off of it for surgery. I stayed off of it for 2months longer than I needed to, to let myself have a period again. I love Depo. No period! My period was not bad at all when I went off of it. Everyone is different. My doctor said that as long as I am taking my calcuim, I am fine.
Darlene X
on 5/31/06 3:11 am - Maricopa, AZ
The Depo can cause infertility issues, so if you want more kids, then it's not the best choice. The Nuva Ring is very easy, and the hormones are absorbed through your cervix so you don't have malabsorbtion issues like with the pill. You put the Nuva Ring in, very simple--- you can't feel it. 3 weeks later you take it out for a week and have your period, then put a new one in (1 week after taking it out) and the cycle continues. Eventually it can be extended to 5 weeks, so you have less yearly periods. If it wasn't for the fact my body doesn't react well to hormonal BC, I would be sooo happy with the Nuva Ring, and it would be my choice over everything. Darlene 338/260/170
Tina K
on 5/31/06 4:26 am - Central, NY
Poor thing Darlene - I think you'll be our resident birth control expert when all is said and done! Hugs, Tina
Laura A.
on 5/31/06 3:18 am - Manteca, CA
I am older than some of you......but does anyone use a diaphram anymore??? I have not needed birth control in years, but long ago a diaphram worked well for me. (Maybe I'm REALLY dating myself now!!) Laura A.
Darlene X
on 5/31/06 3:31 am - Maricopa, AZ
I think the Diaphragm has become a lot more obselete--- I was reading up on it yesterday because Im in desperate need of a non-hormonal BC. The prevention statistics are scary though, I was ready that it is only 85-91% effective... compared to most BC these days been like 99% effective, I think that might explain why not many people use it anymore.... Plus there are all sorts of BC that you put in and don't even have to deal with-- IUD's, Nuva Ring etc--- compared to having to use the diaphragm every time you have sex, make sure it's left in so long...etc...
Laura A.
on 5/31/06 7:03 am - Manteca, CA
I must be one of the really lucky ones considering those statistics!!! LOL I can honestly say that of my 5 children not a one of them was an "ooops".
Tina K
on 5/31/06 4:23 am - Central, NY
Good luck finding something that works for you hun. I'm only 33 but my husband and I decided no more kiddos for us (we have three between the two of us) so we got him fixed. I love the freedom of no pills and not having the hassle of a condom. Man, does anyone like those things??? Hugs, Tina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views