Protien bar craze. Beware!

MsKeara
on 5/30/06 11:52 pm - Baldwin, WI
Hello Everone, I was late leaving for work this morning and I forgot to grab my breakfast. I ran into a store and bought a protein bar to have on the way. By the time I got to work, I was feeling like crap. Dizzy and disoriented. My stomach was slightly upset. My mouth was very dry. The doctor was just arriving so I flagged him and told him what was going on. His first thought was that I was dehyrated but quickly ruled that out after a brief exam. Apparently my pupils were also dialated. As my head started to clear, I thought to check the package of the protein bar. Yeah, you guessed it, 20g of sugar! Friends, please... Don't make the same mistake I did. Always read the nutritional facts of everything you buy. I assumed a "protein bar" would only have the good stuff in it. It seems that with so many people trying to change to a healty life style the "health food" industry is a hot ticket and everyone is trying to get in on it. Even Snickers has an energy bar! Everyone is jocking to have the best tasting bar. Lots of sugar seems to be one way of doing it. Just a side note: For me, disorientation is the worse part of dumping. The driveway doesn't quite make it all the way to the street, if you know what I mean. I know I feel terrible but nothing really registers. The doctor said he would have suggested a drug test if someone presented like I did. The 20g in that bar was almost 3 times what I usually limit myself too. Just wanted to post this reminder and give a heads up because I know many of us are still running around trying to figure out the most tasty way to get in our protein. The never ending battle. Have a Good Wednesday! MsKeara
Tina K
on 5/30/06 11:58 pm - Central, NY
Holy cow chicky! I'm glad you are feeling better. And thanks for the warning. I do eat protein bars once in a while - I use Pure Protein and I'm not sure how much sugar is in those. I'll have to check when I buy my next batch tomorrow. Have a great day! Tina
BabyRuth2u
on 5/31/06 1:30 am - Pittsburgh, PA
This is a very good point to make. I know after surgery trying to find protein bars my husband and I looked at so many. I ended up not buying any. Each time we go somewhere we look at the labels but buy none, as you mentioned the high sugar count. There aren't very many low ones. Even the low numbers scare me. My nutritionist said I could have up to 25 gms of sugar. I think she's crazy!!! I personally so far haven't touched anything over 6 grams. I did taste test a small piece of the PowerCrunch bar at a support meeting and thought, hmm pretty good, soft to chew etc. So we ordered a box online. Well I can't eat them, for some reason they give me heartburn like crazy. DH thought he'd eat them then when he was on the run. Guess what? Same thing, they give him heartburn. Neither of us have ever had heartburn issues. So I do not know what are in those, but they don't work for us. I know the feeling you mention of being disoriented etc. That happens to me on SF pudding. I can't eat it because of the sugar alcohols. I waited a month or so and tried again about two weeks ago. I had two teaspoons and my head started to become unclear, I could feel my heart starting to race and pound in my ears. So that kills a lot of stuff that has sugar alcohols in it. So as I mentioned I just read labels and only choose stuff that is like 6 gms or below in sugar. Or if it's something a little higher I only eat a very tiny taste of it. Think of your experience as a positive in that had you not gotten any reaction from that much sugar, you'd have maybe liked that particular bar, would buy more of them, eat them to get the protein and in the meanwhile taking in all that excess sugar! That can't be good! Sorry you had to go through it, but glad you were able to get checked right away! Take care!
timsdanni
on 5/31/06 3:00 am - Ft Stewart, GA
ruth ann I am with you - I keep looking but never buying LOL I have gotten a few sbd bars and don't like the taste of them. a snack bag of beef jerky in my purse works a heck of a lot better for me than a 200 calorie bar I have to gag down in 1/4s danni
Heather_O
on 5/31/06 7:48 am - WI
I dont eat protein bars unless I'm falling short on protein or I'm really craving something sweet and I've found that the Atkins bars have very little sugar and most have no sugar alcohols and the 2 that I've tried have tasted pretty good. Heather
Beckers
on 5/31/06 7:55 am - Cottage Grove, OR
MsKeara- I'm glad you didn't crash your car or anything. I'm glad you're safe! Yes, those protein bars can be very deceiving! Rebecca M. 269/215/150
cathelewis
on 5/31/06 11:18 am
Hi MsKeara, I'm glad you're OK now. Thanks for the reminder. I know that some so-called protein bars are no better than candy bars. I buy PowerCrunch bars for DH, because they are sweetened with Splenda. He is super-sensitive to sugar alcohols. PowerCrunch are the only kind I've found that do not contain any sugar alcohols. I will eat them when I'm traveling or when I'm running late and in a pinch. Take care, Cathe
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views