Protein Drinks ~ bathroom problems ??

susieQ227
on 5/25/06 12:01 pm - Allison, PA
Is anyone out there having issues with protein drinks causing constipation? I don't know what else it could be. If I don't drink them, I'm fine, but when I do..... Does anyone have any suggestions; I know this is a delicate subject, but I would certainly appreciate any advice.
Courtney B.
on 5/25/06 12:03 pm - Lancaster, CA
Are you taking iron sups? That is what causes my constipation, not the shakes. I add 4 tbsp of Benefiber to my protein shakes daily and that keeps me regular. I go daily. Hope this helps. Courtney
Tina K
on 5/25/06 12:17 pm - Central, NY
I have to be honest and say that my bowels have not been the same since the surgery. There are times I won't go for four or five days and then I'll go several times in a day. But I would not say I'm constipated because I'm never in pain. Are you in pain or do you mean you just don't go as frequently as you did before surgery? There are many doctors that don't believe you need to move your bowels every day. Think about how much we are eating. Or rather, not eating! If it continues to be a problem talk to you doctor to see what you can take to help move things along. Hugs, Tina 315/257/140
susieQ227
on 5/25/06 9:20 pm - Allison, PA
I refuse to take iron because of this issue. I was fine from march 2 till a couple weeks ago when this started - that's when I started the protein shakes. And yes, I am really constipated. I need to take a laxative to get things moving, but am afraid because years ago I became addicted to them.
timsdanni
on 5/25/06 9:52 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
try fiber pills - they save my life and here is a tmi answer too. if I sit and it STARTS to hurt I grab a fleet enama - I went though about 4 the last month but the first time I waited till it was way late in the game and things were sore and bleeding and much pain!!! I take 3-5 fiber choice chewable tablets a day plus aim for 10 grams of fiber. smooth moves tea is good for once in a while - do NOT take it on a daily basis in the long run it iwll make the problem worse but one to two times a week is ok. the fiber choice pills are not aditctive except in the "i do NOT want my butt to hurt " sence. they allso work long term and do not cause the decay of laxitives and the perscrpition stool softeners good luck my freind - I am feeling your pain esp this moring Danni
Lauren003
on 5/25/06 9:57 pm - , NC
No sorry, I actually wish I had a little bit of this problem. Maybe it's all of the soup I eat!
Darlene X
on 5/26/06 12:58 am - Maricopa, AZ
A diet high in protein will cause constipation... it's just what happens... You need to get more complex carbs in your diet, whole grains, fiber--- and vegetables like brocolli. Darlene 338/266/170 -72lbs
RebekaA
on 5/26/06 10:46 am - Inland Empire, CA
I found that refried beans took care of that problem for me! lots of fiber if you don't like the pills.
Beckers
on 5/26/06 1:04 pm - Cottage Grove, OR
Constipation is a common problem with post-ops. I've learned this the hard way When constipation starts up, I take stool softeners, they are gentle. Usually by the next day things return to "normal".
Barbara M.
on 5/28/06 2:38 am - St. Louis, MO
About a week ago, I started eating carb-control yogurt with about 1 Tablespoon of Grape-Nuts for crunch every morning for breakfast. After about two days, I have had a regular bowel movement every day like clockwork. I can't imagine it's a coincidence...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views