obese friends avoiding me

cathelewis
on 5/25/06 11:55 am
I'm down 73 lbs, enough that my weight loss has become very noticeable. To everybody except me, that is. I can't see that I've lost an ounce, just that my clothes are inexplicably growing. I did go out and buy some things that fit last weekend, and then everybody at work started noticing and commenting. They all know I've had WLS. At this point, one of my friends at work started ignoring me. She would not stop to chat any more. She would ask others to go to lunch and forget me. We had a new person start this week, and she introduced the new person to everybody except me. I'm not sure if I'm hurt or just puzzled by this behavior. I'm also not sure how to react. I know we were told this could happen after WLS...that some friendships/relationships will fall apart. I guess I'm not surprised that this one did. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Has this happened to anybody else? Cathe
goldloxx
on 5/25/06 12:03 pm - Glendale, CA
Dear Cathe, I haven't lost as much (only 48) and have not had this happen. But, I think that when your obese friend ignores you, it's because your success reminds her of her failures. Don't take it personally - it's about her, not about her. I feel compassion because I know exactly how she feels. When a friend of mine lost a lot of weight, I felt like a failure. BIG congratulations on your weight loss!!! Laura
Tina K
on 5/25/06 12:11 pm - Central, NY
I'm sorry this is happening to you Cathe. In my life it's my mother in law that's drawing away. She's obese herself and when I told her about the surgery she had tons of questions and said that she had thought about it herself. But as my weight continues to go down I hear less and less from her. It's sad how some people's insecurity manifests itself. Hugs, Tina 315/257/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views