Feeling a little ashamed!

BabyRuth2u
on 5/19/06 7:16 am - Pittsburgh, PA
A couple of weeks ago I went through my clothes. I know I had a lot that were too big. So I did that and contacted this girl I know that could use them. She accepted taking them, so I met with her and gave her a large bag full. Well today I go into my spare bedroom to fold laundry and such. Well I end up going through more stuff again because I know I still have things that are too big. 4 and 5 x stuff and 28 and 30 pants etc etc. So I do this and I cannot believe I came up with 4 bags of clothing. It just seems so wasteful. How could someone have so many clothes and.............. at times have been like "I have nothing to wear"! LOL I know I buy clothes alot, but there is stuff I've come across I probably haven't wore for a long time, or bought over the past few years. But still! The bag I gave her had shirts in there with tags on them still!! The weight drop was so fast that things I had that were smaller I can't even wear now. I have a wedding to go to next weekend. I thought I might be able to conjur something up in the few dresses I have or really nice blouses, but NOPE, tried them all on yesterday and obviously too big, so they look sloppy. So I now have those 4 bags of clothes to donate etc and the dresses etc. I just couldnt believe I had that much stuff and thought this is shameful! I don't think it will change in the future, especially when at goal. I know now it's hard to not want to buy everything in site. I buy a little here or there as I need it, I watch for price carefully and have just been getting stuff that is dirt cheap! Has anyone else done any major sorting through their clothes and getting rid of stuff? I needed to make room in my drawers and closet for stuff I wear now. I wonder if I have a yard sell or go to a flea market, there would be much market for extra-plus size clothing? I tried calling a consignment shop, but they said they dont get much request for the larger sizes, but 1 or 2 x they do. I guess I'll know what to do with those sizes when the time comes. Weekend mission: Or early part of next week, is to find an outfit for a pretty formal/fancy schmancy wedding that won't cost us an arm and a leg and be a waste for wearing it such a short time. I teased my husband that I could buy it, leave on the tags and take it back after the wedding. LOL Wish me luck!!
Tisha C.
on 5/19/06 8:08 am - Signal Hill, CA
I took all my big girl work clothes and sold them on eBay. I didn't get "fair market value" on them, but got enough to buy a new pair of jeans with them. =) ~Tisha
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/06 8:30 am - PA
I'm actually having a yard sale tomorrow and after going through my closet, I realized I was getting rid of more than I'm keeping. I have a few really nice things that if they don't sell for what I want at the yard sale, I'm just going to take them to my support group meeting and give them away to some of the ladies there. I'd rather give it away to someone I know than take $1 for a $70 blazer worn only once. In my ad for my yard sale I specifically put "plus sized women's clothing." The last time I had a yard sale, I had quite a few plus sized women show up to see what I had! I actually sold almost all of my clothes! I hope it works again this time. Larger sizes are pretty hard to find, if nothing else, I am sure there is a charity out there willing to take them. Good luck and have fun shopping for a dress. I hope you find something that makes you feel so beautiful, you won't want to return it! Kathy 242/198/134
Melissa P.
on 5/19/06 10:20 am - Aurora, IL
I have been selling my ig clothes on ebay, and leaving the money in my paypal account, so when I want to buy something, the money will be there.
Tina K
on 5/19/06 11:52 am - Central, NY
I love to buy clothes but, I was on the tight end of most of the clothes I have now so I haven't really shrunk out of anything yet. I'm so looking forward to that. What I have been finding is clothes I'd outgrown that I'm now starting to fit into again. I'm good to about a size 20 or so, then I'll need to start shopping! Planning on selling my outgrown stuff on eBay. Tina
cathelewis
on 5/19/06 1:00 pm
Hi Ruth Ann, I just cleaned out my closets as well. It hurt a bit to take my really nice clothes, that I love to wear, to the giveaway pile. Like you, I'm a bit ashamed I have so many. I've lost 68 lbs, but I just can't see it. I think those sizes should fit me, until I try to get dressed for work in slacks that are so big they look like they belong on a clown. More than half of my wardrobe is going to consignment or Goodwill. And I need to go through my closet again, and get rid of probably half of what's left in there. Here in the Twin Cities, there are actually a couple of plus size consignment stores. So call around and see if you can find a consignment store that will take your things. Another alternative would be to donate your business clothes to a charity like Dress for Success. They provide women who are trying to get into the work force with appropriate clothing, and they need plus sized clothes. A couple of women from work have given me pants that are too small for them. I will wear them and then pass them on when they are too small. I fit into a really cute pair of size 16 capri jeans today that someone gave me. It feels so good to be in clothes that fit. Good luck shopping this weekend! Cathe
MsKeara
on 5/20/06 1:13 pm - Baldwin, WI
It's funny you should make this post. I did a lot of sorting and shopping last week. Before I started I counted everything. I have (had) 34 pairs of pants and clothes to 50 tops. That doesn't include dresses, skirts and the clothing in my wardrobe. I've always had lots of clothes and I don't imagine that will change as I move through sizes. I shopped the clearance rack. I'm sure I now have the same amount if not more of clothes than before sorting. We have a community yard sale coming up soon. I just plan to throw everything out there then. What doesn't go will be taken to a battered womens shelter. Actually, I think I'm going to call them first and if they don't need them, I'll put them out for sale. Just a note ladies: I worked at a very busy shelter and they are almost always in need of plus size clothing. Most of the women that come arrive with the clothes on their backs and nothing eles. The plus size ladies are often stuck wearing some pretty awful clothes. I once gave a women clothes that I'd just purchased because she wanted to go to a job interview and the shelter didn't have anything she could fit. Just a thought. MsKeara
Gizzy29
on 5/21/06 5:01 am
About the yard sale thing, I know when I use to have them there were always be people looking for plus size clothes. If you have one, be sure to advertise it in the newspaper that you have Plus Size clothes.
lpaulson5
on 5/28/06 3:43 am - golden valley, MN
Hi Ruth Ann, At our local support group one of the ladies organized a swapkins. You brought what you no longer needed, and found what you could use. She contacted some vendors and had some food products also available. It was a great way to trade! Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views