Vitamins

tpandk7777
on 5/18/06 11:01 am - London, Canada
I had surgery March 23 and my surgeon has still not put me on vitamins of any kind. I am sure he knows what he is doing but I am SO drained all the time. It is so hard to excercise at all. I usually get 1 km of walking in a day but I am so tired when I get home it is hard to take care of my family. There is a really great workout room upstairs in my condo but I can't get the energy up to make use of the equipment. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? I am getting ready for my 3rd period post surgery and I don't have any really good way to rebuild the lost iron. As for cramps with periods, I read that some of you were taking motrin, my doctor told me that motrin can cause bleeding so I have to suffer through cramps because they are the only things I have found that works. Well guess that is enough moaning for now. Thanks for listening. P.
timsdanni
on 5/18/06 12:34 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
Pamela - get up NOW and go to walmart and get a prenatal vit or a decent kids chewable and START taking them as soon as you pay for them!! I have been on vits since 1 week post op. take at least double the dose it says for an adult in a few days when you feel human agian check out calcuim (get citracal type cal) and b12 (only the under the tounge or shot works) and maybe potasum and D and magnisum and iron. do some searches on the main boards and other places and get on some vits. I have no idea where your docs head is but yours is going to be bald if you don't get the vits and protien in you need Danni 372/310/170
cathelewis
on 5/18/06 12:57 pm
I've been on vitamins since my 1-month checkup. I was supposed to start taking them sooner, but the dietician forgot to tell me in my preop consult. Once I started taking them, there was a night and day difference in the way I felt. If I forget my vitamins for even a day, I am exhausted. I've been taking 2 Flintstones per day plus 1000 mcg of B12 sublingual once a week. I'm planning on ordering some Bariatric Advantage vitamins. I got a sample at a local WLS conference, and they were pretty palatable. You really need to get some chewable vitamins now. You won't believe how much better you will feel. Cathe
Sondra J. S.
on 5/18/06 1:31 pm - Show Low, AZ
Pamela, I am looking in my "big book" my surgeon gave me at my education class and I'll tell you what he has had me on since the day after I left the hospital. Flintstones with iron 2 2x a day Caltrate 600 plus 1 2x a day but I'm thinking of changing to a citrate 1200mg day B12 shot once a month, I also take sublingual (under tounge) once a week if I feel down, Coenzyme Q-10 50mg 3x a day There are three main reasons why you take vitamin and mineral supplements: 1.) Reduced intake of calories in turn leading to decreased intake of vitamins and minerals. 2.) Malabsorption of nutrients from the protion of the gut bypassed by the surgery and 3.) inadequate release of certain vitamins and minerals from the food that you consume. You will have defiencies in most vitamins and minerals, including Vitamins A,D,E,C,B complex and various minerals including zinc, iron, and clcium. Taking the proper multivitamin and mineral supplements can prevent most of these defiencies. So, You NEED to take your vitamins NOW, don't hesitate, like one of the previous posters said, go get them and take them in the parking lot and you'll feel MUCH better soon!!!! I hope this information helps in some way. Sondra, 315/258/150 57lbs. gone for good!!!!
Sandra S.
on 5/18/06 5:03 pm - Mountain Home, ID
Pamela, I buy Centrum Chewables for adults; they're great! I take one in the morning and one in the evening. I alos take 1 B12 every other day and a calcium daily. Why hasn't your doctor put you on vits yet?? I miss my motrin also, but was told it wasn't good for our pouch. I had terrible back pain my last period and tylenol didn't even touch it. I wound up taking a vicodin and going to bed early! Do you like fresh spinach? Very good source of Iron also, if you layer it on a wrap with some turkey and provolone or cream cheese. Also, make sure you're getting your protein in. As a matter of fact, did you know that the best time to drink your protein shake is right after working out? It helps to repair your muscles after working out ! Anyway, I hope this helps! take care, sandy
D S.
on 5/18/06 9:04 pm - Kansas City, MO
I take: 3/day Flintsones Chewable complete 2/day Viactiv calcium chewables 1 Biotin/ day (helps to prevent hair loss) sublingual B-12 2/week b-1 1/week I started this regimen 1 month before surgery. Good luck to you!
jmelrod829
on 5/19/06 1:22 am - Pottsville, PA
I am really surprised they haven't talked to you about vitamins yet! EVERY doctor will tell you to take different vitamins. Personally I would call and ask about it today! Mine specifically says NO FILNSTONES!!! I am on an Adult's chewable multi vitamin with chelated minerals (1 tab 2x daily) and Calcium 2x daily. I won't have blood work drawn until the end of June for my 3 month post op appt to know if I need to start Iron or B-12. Here is a link to the vit I take. It also gives you the option to view the label. http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/file.asp?xs=F97B078438184DDC916E14A23FE25129&PID=420&np= 1 Hope that helps! Jennifer 355/307/142
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views