Anyone else LOVE mexican food post surgery??

Jen W.
on 5/15/06 7:48 am - Minneapolis, MN
I find I am addicted to mexican style foods post surgery. Seems to me they are so easy to eat (for me), healthy (if you stay away from all the cheese and creamy sauce and rice), and if making at home - easy to put together. I always loved mexican food, but I feel like I eat it at least 3 times per week now. I have such a hard time thinking of new things I can eat that are truly low carb and mexican seems to work in a crunch. I can't really eat leftovers microwaved so I always struggle to think of something to eat at night. Anyone else experience this food "rut"? I love it, but I am afraid soon I will hate mexican food and then what? Anyone have any good food ideas? I can eat pretty much anything now, but I try to avoid eating a lot of breads, etc yet. I don't stomach them well. I'm also not a big beef eater.
Darlene X
on 5/15/06 7:58 am - Maricopa, AZ
I loved Mexican food pre-op... well hello I love in Arizona duh hahaha... but post-op I really haven't had that much of it... I have lost my taste for tortillas... and I dont know, got sick of refried beans... I like spicy, but really haven't eaten much of it. I will be having some fresh salsa tonight though Salad is my big thing post-op, lettuce is so good and its cool and refreshing. Hubby and I love experiementing, so we always have weird food, and don't tend to get bored. Like the other day I got a twice baked potato and we ate the mashed potato inside with chicken for dinner ... then the next day we took the skin, filled it with sauteed onion, squash, chicken, a little left over potato, spices and herbs, topped with cheese and baked... OMG it was so good! Anything crock pot is great!!!!, and if you make it nice and saucy then leftovers shouldnt be an issue, they will stay very moist. Im trying everything right now, so Im not to worried about a rut... I have stomached everything Ive tried... so Im not afraid to try anything. We watch a lot of the food network, and both of us are very creative when it comes to food. Darlene
Rilabie_Chime
on 5/15/06 8:16 am - Littlerock, CA
I'm like you Jen, I like my food "rut"s, I didn't eat much cottage cheese right after surgery so all of a sudden last week I got the craving for it and havn't been able to stop eating it yet. I can't eat "anything" yet, still have a problem with ground meats, refried beans, tuna, eggs, etc. I'm trying to look at it in a positive way though, if I could eat "anything" I'm afraid I would Unlike Darlene and others you'll get no new food ideas from me, heck I get any and all of mine from this Marchers board! Glad your loving your mexican food.
Heather_O
on 5/15/06 9:29 am - WI
My favorite is mexican food as well since surgery but yeah eventually you'll get sick of it. If you like chinese food get some low/no sugar sauces add whatever veggies you like and if you dont want to make up chicken just get the canned stuff it tastes good and is very hassle free. Heather
Lauren003
on 5/15/06 12:05 pm - , NC
I'm loving the mexican food too.. just the other night I made enchiladas (cooked the chicken in the enchilada sauce) with low carb tortillas and nobody even knew the difference. You can make turkey meatballs and bake them. They keep in the freezer and make great additions to stuff like tomato sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, whatever. I also grilled some ribs last night and had no problems with them at all. I make meatloaf a lot too just because ground beef is easier for me to chew and I can make them in any size portion. Tonight I made white beans and rice (like red beans and rice) but didn't eat the rice and it was sooo good. These freeze well too.
Tina K
on 5/15/06 12:58 pm - Central, NY
I adored Mexican prior to my surgery. It was one of my "last meals" before I went on my liquid diet. Haven't had it yet but I'd love a chicken enchilada. Hmmm, maybe I'll go get one from my favorite place tomorrow. I'm a chicken fan - that's the primary meat around this house and I have a million and one ways to make it. LOL I just posted this on the main board, an easy and delish recipe. Chicken Divan: 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast - cut into chunks and cooked in a pan using pam. Mix one can of fat free cream of chicken soup, one cup of fat free or low fat mayo, quarter of a cup of parmesean cheese, tablespoon of lemon juice or chicken broth. In a baking dish put one package of frozen broccoli florets (just the tops), scatter cooked chicken over that and then spread the sauce over it all. Sprinkle some more parm cheese over the sauce. Put in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Serve alone or with brown rice or whole wheat egg noodles. I always get rave reviews for this. Tina http://www.wls.tinakulesa.com 315/263/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views