How much Protein is enough?

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/06 1:23 pm - Baltimore, MD
How much protein were you all told to get in on a daily basis? And how much do you actually get in? My nutritionist told me 50g a day, but I see from the posts many of you are getting so much more. Also, do you have a daily carb and fat gram limit? Thanks! Monica
Lauren003
on 5/13/06 12:29 am - , NC
For me it's 102-122 g./day. They have a formula that they use to calculate it though so 50 g. may be accurate for you. I get it all in with a double shake in the morning (46g) and a double at night which gives me 92g. The food I eat puts it into the proper range and I can feel a little more free to not stick to a strictly protein diet. I don't personally have a daily carb/fat gram limit, I just try to make wise choices and eat healthful things which naturally lends itself to a low carb/fat diet. Just keep sticking to your plan and if you're not sure about the number, do a little research to find the protein gram calculator and plug in your numbers to verify her work. Keep up your great work! Lauren
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/06 1:00 am - Baltimore, MD
Thanks! I only have one shake per day in the AM which is 23g so I think I need to increase that to twice a day. I was told by someone on the main board and read on Vitalady.com that our bodies can only absorb 30g of protein at a time unless we're super athletes. Have you ever heard that? That's the only reason I haven't doubled my shakes. But if it's working for you and others perhaps I can try it. Monica
Lauren003
on 5/13/06 1:33 am - , NC
Hi Monica! I don't buy into the 30g limit. Why would our bodies stop at 30g? How would it know? I dunno.. do your own research and decide what you feel is best for your body because everyone interprets information differently. If you're sitting on the border for your protein intake though and can't seem to consistently get it all in, don't be afraid to double up. It couldn't hurt!
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/06 2:50 am - Baltimore, MD
I'll do that. Thanks again! Monica
~ Stylz ~
on 5/13/06 4:07 am - North of Boston, MA
your body knows it just like vitamin intake, once its got all it needs, you pee out the rest. just like your boday knows after 45 minutes of cardio it starts burning muscle instead of fat. 30 grams has been prooven by nutritionists, personal trainers and doctors. You can drink 100gr protein shake, but after 30 the rest goes down the toilet... literally lol my nutritionist said 60gr after surgery was ok, now I'm suppose to get up to 70-80gr. On an avg day I'm still around 60-65 unless I have 2 protein shakes 1 driving to work, 1 before my morning walk then I'm almost at 80 gr for the day. good luck
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/06 10:07 am - Baltimore, MD
I heard very similar things! So Although I need to increase my shake intake, I'm going to make sure I split them up just to be certain my body is absorbing them. Thanks! Monica
timsdanni
on 5/13/06 4:52 am - Ft Stewart, GA
my nut says 75-100 I work out hard and am building muscles and hit 100-115 or so of protien a day. I make a tripe shake up at night before I go to bed - 75 grams of protien 440 or so in calories and then I drink it in 4ths though out the day - once as soon as I leave my room in the morning on my way to the gym, once mid morning, afternoon and bedtime - that gives me a lot of my protien and so I can have veggies at dinner if I want them instead of just my meat or I can have 2T brown rice and only 1 oz meat. it works good for me and I have done a LOT of research and it all seems to show that lack of protien will stall your wieght loss and will keep you from being able to GAIN LEAN MUSCLES. and of course muscles help you lose weight Danni
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/06 10:09 am - Baltimore, MD
Sounds like you are doing great! Thanks for the info Danni!
~ Stylz ~
on 5/13/06 1:36 pm - North of Boston, MA
you sound like my friend who does professional body building competitions! great job on getting the protein in I must say. He actually sets his alarm to wake up and take another 30 gr shake and gets protein in every 3 hours. now.... theres a better chance of snow in Tahiti than me waking up every 3 hours for protein, but I guess whatever works. Maybe when I'm closer to goal I'll do a shake before bed like you, but for now I want to lose fat instead of turning it into muscle, too much to do that yet! lol keep up the progress
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views