She's gotta be nuts!

Tina K
on 5/11/06 12:06 pm - Central, NY
Today while cleaning I found a paper I had gotten from my nutritionist at my pre op meeting with her. She had listed my calorie and protein goals. Get this. 1200 calories 70 grams of protein. She's gotta be nuts! I'm lucky to get 600 calories in a day. I can't imagine doing twice that. I can understand the protein and I can get there when I supplement. Someone please tell me that I'll be able to eat a little bit more soon!!! Tina http://www.wls.tinakulesa.com 315/268/140
BabyRuth2u
on 5/11/06 12:24 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Tina, I guess we will be able to in time eat more. But right now it sure doesn't seem so. I was just reading the foods everyone ate today and it doesn't seem any of us eat much. I have been feeling like I've really been struggling with not eating enough and not liking things, but I think maybe I'm expecting too much this soon. i guess my head / our heads think we should be able to eat this or that, this much or that much, but actually we're probably eating just fine for this stage. So for myself, I'm going to try to ease up on myself in regards to whether or not I'm eating enough. B ut I do need to still work on what I do eat, I need to find things I actually like. I think a big problem I'm having is just general taste and texture of things. I never did like small beady type things like tapioca(sp?), rice pudding, etc. And I noticed today that when I have to chew chew chew things very well before swallowing that the food in my mouth is there too long and it starts to feel beady, in small pieces etc and then i end up spitting it out. Hmmmm might be the problem! LOL I feel fine, I'm losing weight, I have lots of energy so I think I must be doing ok! I do agree with you on the 1200 being nuts. I don't think we'll be able to eat that much for a couple of years! LOL
Tina K
on 5/11/06 12:29 pm - Central, NY
Hi Ruth Ann, That's one of the reasons I like the what did you eat thread. It helps me feel as "normal" as I can at this stage. You're right - all of us are eating very little. Like you I feel fine, I've got lots of energy and I'm loosing weight so I have to think it's all going to work out in the end. Tina
RieRie
on 5/11/06 1:34 pm - somewhere, IL
You think your is nut. Mine yelled at me last week cause I was getting between 500 and 700. She said that was too many. go figure. How do they expect us to know what to do if they dont. Good luck and yes it does get easier.. Marie (from the Feb board. I sneak over once in a while cause I was schedule for Mar. 2 but they moved it up to Feb.28. )
Tina K
on 5/11/06 2:22 pm - Central, NY
Thanks Rie Rie! I'm hoping that this goal is for a bit further out! I've seen on the main board people eating around this amount of food so ... we'll see! Tina http://www.wls.tinakulesa.com 315/268/140
jennb40
on 5/11/06 8:49 pm - Nashua, NH
Gee, it is strange how we all basically had the same surgical procedure done, but our nutritionists and surgeons sure give different directions on how to proceed after surgery! I suppose they have researched what they suggest and feel it is the best in their opinion...and I think if we trust our surgeon, we should trust their instructions!!! Anyway, my nutritionist said I probably wouldn't meet 1000-1200 calories for probably a close to a year after surgery - or at least not anytime right after surgery. I think I rather enjoy the fact I am only getting 600 or so calories because it makes me think I will be losing faster. However, I don't know about the "starvation mode" people talk about...when you don't get enough to eat and your body holds everything it can inside and you "stall"???? I do think the 70 or so proteins a day is critical for lots of things going on in our bodies! So I - like the rest of you don't see how I could possibly at this stage get in 1000 calories a day because thank goodness I am not hungry! I used to watch the clock before surgery to see how long it had been since I last ate (was 10 minutes long enough to have another snack??!!!), but now I look at the clock and sigh and say...."gotta have some lunch, some protein!!" I never thought I would see the day this old body would remember to eat rather than remember to not eat!!! What a switch, but I am loving it and love every ounce I lose!!! Have a good weekend everybody - going to be a dreary rainy one in New England! Barbara
Tina K
on 5/11/06 10:24 pm - Central, NY
Hi Barbara, Yes, my friend in NH just emailed me that they are under a flood watch until Saturday evening. *sigh* Seems like every time I got up there it rains. You're right - it's very strange how every doctor or nut has different post op recommendations. I trust both of mine, I just can't imagine eating that much. Like you, I look at the clock and say "It's time to eat again???? Didn't I just do that???" Eating now is what I believe it should be - simply fuel for my body - and not the obsessive thing it was before. Tina http://www.wls.tinakulesa.com 315/263/140
timsdanni
on 5/11/06 9:42 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
I can hit 1000 pretty easy b/c I make a triple protien shake up in the am and drink on it 3 or 4 times during the day. I also hit 100-120 grams of protien b/c 75 are from that shake. I am in a hurry if this doesn't make sence sorry will post moer latter - timer going hugs danni
Tina K
on 5/11/06 10:26 pm - Central, NY
Hey Danni, You are making sense. I'm not a huge fan of protein drinks. I manage to get the 8oz of my regularly prepared one down but I couldn't do an ounce more. The one time I tried to make one last all day I nearly . It was gross! My program tells us to cut the supplements out at around 4 weeks post op so I really shouldn't be drinking them!! Tina http://www.wls.tinakulesa.com 315/263/140
timsdanni
on 5/11/06 11:34 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
I make mine with 8 oz protien added skim milk and 8 oz water and 3 scoops of GNC 100% whey mixed berry at night last thing before I go to bed (ok honestly I can not make it earlyer b/c I am still working on my 4th and last bit of it LOL) than I get up and first thing in my mouth after my toothbrush is about 6 oz of it. then a couple times a day I chug a 4-5 oz portion of it (in two or 3 chugs if that makes sence) or I grab a paper cup on the way out the door and I can sip it while I am driving. by bedtime I have 2-4 oz left depending on the day and I finish that off. that is about half of my calories for the day. and 3/4 of my minimum protien I also eat a lot of beef jerkey b/c I can eat it with out skipping water. I tend to skip eating to be able to drink water. agian I can eat it in the car. I am a "stay home" mom so I spend a lot of time running errands/kids/ forgotten stuff to hubby ect. my nut says protien shakes are FOR LIFE and non negoatioble. I am good with that b/c I do not ever see myself able to get 100+ grams of protien with out them in a day and stay under the 1200 ceiling she gave me for life also. talking to people farther out most of them seem to have gone from "the nut says" to "I have found" so I am guessing that is kind of a devolopemental post op stage. where we learn to trust our bodys and to trust our minds are not leading us down the old ways. ok this got long - sorry I just got home and am wired from class Danni
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views