Calories?

jamey0509
on 5/10/06 6:12 am - Charlotte, NC
Hi Marchers! Hope you're all doing fantastic! I am a little over 7 weeks post-op and religiously keep up with my cal's, water, protein gms, and somewhat with fat and carbs...try to keep both low. My question is how many calories are you eating now or what range are you staying inside? My doctors literature says 800-1000 now but my nut said staying around 600-700 if fine too. I've just within the last week made it up to 800 cal's. What I want to do is cut out 1/2 of my 20 ounce Isopure drink which has 40 grams of protein and still get the 60 to 70 grams so I'll have to eat more. I do not snack and I won't because that could become a bad habit so I want to do this in three meals. Just curious about what you've been told and how many cal's everyone is able to get in now? Also, how much food at one time in ounces or cup sizes like 1/4 or 1/2 cups. I ordered a 7 ounce filet mignon at Outback last night and at about 3 ounces there and about 1 more ounce about two hours later before I realized I was really full. I could go on and on... Thanks for the help, Jamey
timsdanni
on 5/10/06 7:18 am - Ft Stewart, GA
I do between 800-1000 but try hard to keep my protien above 100. there is no way I could do it with out snacks b/c I still only eat 1/4 cup at most meals so we are talking 2 oz of shrimp take 30 mins to eat b/c I have to stop and take a break, I eat 1-2 ounces of beef jerkey a day b/c it is lean and high proten for decent calories 14 protien and 80 cals per oz. my doc say no snacks my nut say eat 5-8 times a day keep cals under 1200 for the rest of your life - so I go with the nut b/c that is how i can get my protien in - I do either 2 or 3 protien shakes a day - about 25 grams of protien each but also 150 cals aprox. just rambleing here - still want a nap in a few LOL hope this is what you are looking for danni 372/318/170
(deactivated member)
on 5/10/06 7:50 am - AZ
Hi Jamey, I'm not sure how I could manage to get my calories and protein in if I didn't have any snacks! Does your nut or surgeon say no snacking? I can only eat 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food at a time (the amount depends on the texture of the food, etc) and I can't possible get all the protein, carbs and fat that I need packed into 3 meals. Snacking is OK as long as you choose wisely and plan for them. My favorite snacks are beef jerky, cheese, soy crisps and Ak Mak crackers. If I have carbs as part of a snack my rule is that it MUST contain a good amount of protein. My nut suggests the following per day: 1000-1200 calories 70-100 grams of protein 100-130 grams of carbs 20-30 grams of fat Some days I struggle to get 1000 calories in, especially on weekends when my schedule is not as structured. On those days I tend to eat a protein bar or have a protein shake. Most of the time I'm able to get all my protein in with food and don't have to supplement at all. Thank God because I really don't care for protein shakes! Good luck! Elizabeth
jamey0509
on 5/10/06 12:48 pm - Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate the help...I probably need to call my nut and clarify. I really shouldn't say I don't snack because my protein drink (the 40 gm Isopure) which used to be my breakfast is now between my protein bar (Atkins) and my lunch so technically I guess that is a snack though I count it as part of my liquids too. Usually I drink my one cup of coffee (ok'd by surgeon) between 8-10 in morning, then the protein drink (Atkins protein bar is now with coffee), and I have lunch between 12:30 and 1:30...but I am usually so full from the protein drink it is hard to eat anything so I end up eating 1 serving of soy crisps...the bar, drink, coffee (only w/ fat free cream) and the crisps add up to about 450 cals...I drink all of my water (64 ounces) between 2:00 and 5:00...then I usually eat dinner around 7:00 or 7:30 and that is about 300 to 400 cals. My nut scolded me for not getting enough fruit and veggies so I've added cantaloupe or strawberries as dessert with dinner (about 1/2 cup). If I drink only 1/2 of the Isopure I'm hoping to add a few more calories at lunch time w/ something like a vegetable and a protein.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views