Ladies Only - Provera

Tiffany W.
on 5/17/10 5:34 am - Newark, NJ
This a question for the ladies. Let me give you a history, lol and then I'll get to my question.  I've always had pretty regular menstrual cycles throughout my life (although heavy bleeding, it still came every month like clock-work).  In  Nov, Dec and  early January, I didn't get my period.  I didn't think anything of it nor did it bother me...Who wants to deal with periods, right?   At the end of January that last week, I finally got my period - And life went on.  Typically my periods last for 5 days.  So, when day 7 hit, I was like - hmmmm... then 2, 3, 4 etc.. you get the idea.  I had a never ending period!  I still wasn't too stressed about it as I had surgery on the brain!

Surgery day gets here and I'm still on my period (ugh) 2 days later it stopped.  I thought that was the end of it and I will get back on track - NOT!  5 days later it came back and it hasn't left since!  Its been btwn a light and medium flow, no cramps and I usually get major cramps.  I finally decided to see my OBGYN a few weeks ago and gave the run down.  She then prescribed Provera for 10 days and said this will regulate my cycle and I may get my period I may not, leaning more towards I will get.  

After the 10th day of taking the pill, 2 days later I got my period and boy it is killing me!  I have exteme bleeding with clots!  Will go through a tampon/pad within an hour!  I am exhausted and have no energy.  I can't get up enough strength to go to work.  I've been working from home so I won't have to commute but even that is too much.  All i want to do is lay in bed.  Even getting dressed takes a lot ot of me! I have no appetite at all! I try to force myself to eat something but would usually do about 3 to 4 bites of something before its in th garbage.  I hate this feeling! I don't feel like myself at all!

I've read online that these are some side effects to this drug.  Have any of you been presribed Provera?  If so, for what reason?  What was your experience? Would you tolerate this again?

Thanks so much for listening!  I am truly going through it and I am too young to feel this way.  I need to get back to "fun" Tiffany.

P.S - I wasn't sure which forum was appropriate for the topic...

sunshine2510
on 5/17/10 6:24 am - Fort Washington, MD
Hey Tiffany,

Yes I was prescribed this some years back to get my cycle back to flowing, maybe with the change in hormones due to surgery and the hormones being produced by the Provera may be just to much for your body. I personally had no side affects.. Worked like a charm for my cycle..

Sunshine

Tiffany W.
on 5/17/10 6:55 am - Newark, NJ
Thanks Sunshine!  It's definitely too much!  I hope it gets better.

Shanecia
on 5/21/10 12:51 am - Baltimore

I'm actually going through a similar situation right now.  I usually don't come on every month but for the past 2 months I've come on with no end in sight.  I went to the doctors last month and she gave me megace which made me feel like I was losing my mind.  I took those for about 15 days and stopped........2 weeks later I'm bleeding like a wounded elephant once again.  I went to another gyn on Wednesday and she thinks I may have fibroids.  I'm going to get an ultrasound today so hopefully there will be an end to this never ending bleeding that I'm having. 

I hope that you get a resolution to your situation soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Our 2 year - we rock!
Liz R. · 3 replies · 1482 views
One Year. No Regrets!
Sunshine704NC · 1 replies · 1443 views
TIme is flying...
jstatum_05 · 5 replies · 962 views
Wow time goes by fast...
DreamComeTrue07 · 2 replies · 924 views