Does Anyone Find Things Like this Since Surgery

Monica R.
on 5/12/04 1:59 pm - Mantua, NJ
I'm curious...I had my Surgery on 2/20/02. Things have been going well for the most part. EXCEPT, I am ready to scream. I was told have surgery and you'll feel better. I'm still waiting. I am still on a lot of medications. My BP medication was just changed. I have been diagnosed with a condition called Myasthenia Gravis (it affects muscles - starting with double vision for me). I have been hospitalized twice (within the same month) for pneumonia. Now, the weather is changing and my legs and feet are so swollen they hurt. It feels like the skin is so tight that I almost think they are going to split open. When this happens my weight jumps up a few pounds. That adds to the frustrations. I may not be able to get the Plastic Surgery because of the MG. I can't imagine going around the rest of my life with all the mounds of flesh hanging on me. I'll know more at the end of the month. I am just angry because I didn't think things would still be the same. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for this surgery...without it I know I wouldn't be alive today. I just feel frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent. I have just been curious wondering if anyone else found that a lot or a few of the same problems that you had before surgery. Monica A. Rickards
PattyO
on 7/2/04 9:58 pm - McHenry, IL
Hi, My thoughts and Prayers are with you. I was so relieved to find someone in the same health position as I am. So I totally simpathize with you, Heres my story. Don't get me wrong I am glad I had the surgery too, but my health just seems to be getting worse.12 months post op I had to have a hysterectomy, followed by 1 ovary removed on March with numerous serious infections and the other ovary removed in June and followed up by a Herniation of my open RNY insision line. A total of 5 surgeries in 9 months. Fun! Fun! NOT! Now I have problems with my Bowels and have to see a surgeon for possible removal of a section of my colon.Because some reason or another I can not have a Bowel movement without lots of medication. This scares me to death. I am 29 months out and it has been Hell. And to beat all I only have lost 72 lbs and have not been able to loose any more weight. Though I am thankful that I haven't gained any either. SO I keep my head up and go to my support group meetings and try not to get to depressed. And hope my body starts responding in a positive way.
Monica R.
on 8/21/04 12:04 pm - Mantua, NJ
Hi Patty, I truly understand what you are dealing with. I get so frustrated because things keep going wrong medically. Since I posted my original message I have been in the hospital for pneumonia a third time and once for cellulitis, the second time for that one. My dear you sure have had a lot to endure and get through. I don't have a support group to go through and that makes me even more frustrated. As that expression goes something like this, "you think you got it bad until you walk in someone else's shoes." I think I got it right. I will keep you in my prayers. I didn't have a problem with the bowels until recently. Because of a chronic pain condition, I've been put on a low dose of morphine 3x a day. It is taking a toll on the GI tract. It is getting me concerned. They gave me medication to take for that problem but it just makes me have 14 different scripts a day. I'm getting on a roll here and I better stop. I don't mean to downplay anything you've gone through. I understand a little better each day that this surgery is only a tool and not an answer to everything. There are some times though I like to say...hello...am I better yet? Hang in there. I understand. Monica Rickards Mantua, NJ
mabeline C.
on 6/23/05 1:24 pm - red boiling spgs, TN
I HAVE NOT HAD THE SURGEY,BUT I HOPE THAT EVERY THING TURNS OUT ALL RIGHT TALK TO THE LORD HE CAN HELP
jackie_h1
on 9/3/04 1:39 am - Monroe, MI
Monika, First off I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. Unfortunately not all health problems are "cured" with losing the excess weight. Some problems are not primarily caused by the obesity. I know several post ops who continue to have Diabetes and Hypertension. Still on medications...some on higher doses and some on lower. Unfortunately surgery rewards are as individual as the person having surgery. I also read your profile and I'm so happy to hear that you are trying to get back on track with your eating and avoiding the sugars. I want to tell you that is the #1 way to keep the weight off! AVOID THE SUGAR. Keep all other foods in moderation. I stick with these rules 1. Protein first, then if room for veggies and fruits 2. 64+ ounces of water per day 3. Exercise---even just walking daily 4. No grazing (eating non nutritional food every 1-2 hours) I am a "food addict" and still think about food. But I alone am responsible for the success I have from this surgery. I have to be in control, not the food. I also think your doc or surgeon is a bit off on the vitamin routine. I mean, you may need a little more than 2 children's chewables per day. What about calcium? Is your iron and B-12 levels ok? I currently take 2 Woman's One-a-day's (one before breakfast, one before dinner), 1500 mg of Calcium Citrate w/Vit D daily, along with bi-weekly B-12 shots. I wish you the best and good health! Jackie in MI Open RNY 2/8/02 369/164/1??
Connie M.
on 6/4/05 6:11 am - Topeka, KS
I had all my problems post op in the first 3 months. I had a lap RNY and found my bed soaked with blood when I woke up 8 hours post op. Back into surgery I went to repair a bleeder. Then 5 days later I was back in the hospital with a raging infection in my blood. I had to be opened up and cleaned out and given IV antibiotics. So within 5 days I had 3 major surgeries. Since I was 48, I didnt bounce back as fast as a younger person might have. I then had diahhrea and c-difficle that took 3 months to clear up. So I was off work 3 months. Since then I have had NO problems. I had abdominoplasty, breast lift. Lasik eye surgery and have a consult for inner thigh plastic surgery next week. I have lost 130+ pounds, now weighing 131 @ 5ft 6. I still do throw up on occasion if I overeat.
Most Active
Recent Topics