Two Year's Plus Post Op

Monica R.
on 5/2/04 6:29 am - Mantua, NJ
I don't know where the times goes anymore. It seems when I was pre op back in 2002, I always had to deal with time because my body was so big I couldn't use my time wisely. February 20, 2004 I celebrated my Second Year on "The Other Side." The journey thus far has had it's up's and down's. There was a great weight loss. In November 2003, I saw my weight go under 200 pounds for the first time. I cried, had pictures taken and felt on top of the world. There is no record of when I weighed under 200 pounds where I get my medical care. I couldn't tell you when I last weighed under 200 pounds. But wait! There was a glitch in my journey. For reason's no one understands (I see the Surgery Clinic on Tuesday) I found myself eating not only the junk but also the things with sugar and never getting sick. With all this, something more important was going on. My weight was creeping up and up. I tried to deny knowing what my problems was. Before I knew it, my weight was back up to 224 pounds in February or March, I forget. I am not proud of this. But if there is a lesson to be learnt here...this is it. Gastric Bypass Surgery is only a tool to help in weight loss. It comes with no guarantee's. Eat improperly and the weight will come back. What works for the weight loss is maintaining the proper Way of Eating. I found out the hard way. I stayed away from this sight because I was embarrassed to have lost and then to have gained. I am back on track now. I keep a detailed Food Journal. I am not exercising, per say right now. I'm awaiting MRI result's for a hip conditioin. I have been given a diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis. It was thought I had this condition, then the "so called expert" said no. Now, after 2 bouts of pneumonia in less that 1 months time, the diagnosis is a real one. I found myself to have problems due this condition. The inability to take a deep breath is just one of them. It has affected my chewing of food. It affects my bladder muscles. It is very frustrating. Just having GBS is not the answer. Other things will happen and just like any part of life you have to deal with them as they come along. Am I sorry that I had this surgery? NO! NO! NO! I can do so much now. One of my greatest thrills was walking onto the soccer fields and watching my Nieces play soccer. Getting on the floor and getting up without the crane, is a good feeling. Just sleeping in my bed for the first time in 3 years. It was a new bed and I was afraid that prior to surgery I would suffocate myself because of all my fat. Now, my fat hangs...but that means I am alive. I am seeing someone at the Surgery Clinic (I go to the Phila. VA Hospital) on Tuesday. I hope to find something out about a Plastic Surgeon. They were negotiating when I was last there a few months ago. I may have to wait some more but that is okay. JUST UNDERSTAND PLEASE: This surgery is wonderful...but not a cure. This surgery will give you back your life. Do what the Surgeon and your Medical Team recommend. I am now seeing the Dietician on a more regular basis. Keep postivive. Remember, the negatives are a bump in the road and you will eventually get passed it. Even with the gain I saw, my goals are still like they were in Nov. of last year. I like to look at it this way: ONE DAY AT A TIME ONE POUND AT A TIME Good Luck Everyone...Keep Positive! Monica A. Rickards Mantua, NJ
Most Active
Recent Topics