salad ? how soon ?

celticnurse
on 5/31/11 4:40 am - Abingdon, MD
i am 4 wks post-op today and am enjoying my soft diet. it is soooo hot and muggy here today, i don't want to cook or grill.....outside it is an oven as well.....too hot to cook. so i'm thinking a bit of romaine lettuce w/some shredded cheese and cut-up grilled chicken leftover from yesterday w/light ranch dsg. (does the roughage make it not "soft diet"?)
will this be safe for my pouch? i have hardly had any veggies since surgery. i did have a tomato on a wrap i had for lunch, and also some sliced onion.....no problem with either of those. just wondering about the lettuce in particular.

advice welcome.
bubbylucy
on 5/31/11 4:44 am - Raleigh, NC
Raw veggies are definitly not part of a soft diet. They are to rough on the system this early out. I was not aloud salads for 3 months.

Good luck
Audra

celticnurse
on 5/31/11 4:47 am - Abingdon, MD
thanks Audra. just want to be doing right by my pouch. i'll just eat some reheated grilled chicken from yesterday for me. i appreciate the advice.

cindy
Cheryl Allan
on 5/31/11 5:28 am - Canada
It depends on your surgeon, I was allowed salad 5 weeks out and it didnt bother me in the least
Cheryl Allan

HW...355......SW....322...CW 281

FavisRNY
on 5/31/11 6:22 am - TX
I have a question about your grilled chicken. How do you prepare it? And then do you just eat it with a fork or do you chop it up really fine? Im worried something like this would be too dry for me.

Christine428
on 5/31/11 6:37 am
 I only started eating salad a couple weeks ago, when I went for my 1 month visit they said to wait a couple more weeks.  At that point I would've killed for a salad. LOL  I love salad.  I bought the perdue grilled chix strips and haven't had any problems, just can't eat much of it. ;)

celticnurse
on 5/31/11 6:37 am - Abingdon, MD
lately i'm loving the boneless skinless thighs....so yummy and not as dry as breasts. hubs just brushes them w/honey mustard dressing or bullseye bbq sauce. they come out yummy.

or i'll take a breast (boneless/skinless as well), cut a tomato in half and scoop out the insides of one of the halves.....not sure how my pouch will like those tiny seeds....cut into strips......take a pc of foil, spray w/cooking spray, lay the breast on it, put the cut up tomato on top and top it off w/some chopped fresh basil.....wrap it up and place on the grill for about 20 minutes.....one of these will give me 1 supper and 2 lunches (large breasts, i suppose). i do take my pampered chef chopper and chop it up finer than i could w/a knife and fork and i still chew it well.
pamkb
on 5/31/11 6:46 am - Crestview, FL

depends on your program.  Has you surgeon given you a guideline for raw veggies.  The last I could add, at around 8 weeks was raw onion, raw broccoli, and raw celery.  Pouch doesn't like any of these and gets a lil' grumpy so I avoid these 3. 

I was allowed to add salad, as tolerated, at 5 weeks.  It was the best thing I tasted post-op and have several a week now.  I started with baby lettuces (spring mixes) that have tender leaves.  Just be sure and chop real small at first until you see how you do with them.  I ran my knife through the leaves and made small ribbons. 

at 4 weeks, it might be a little early to add much raw veggies.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

celticnurse
on 5/31/11 6:53 am - Abingdon, MD
yeah, i think i'm going to hold off for at least another 2 wks. as much as i'm craving a salad, i'm not craving the problems it might cause w/my comfort level.....lol.
i'm glad i asked. i'm learning new things everyday, thanks to all the kind folks on this website.

Tessie W.
on 5/31/11 7:14 am
I cannot advance until my next visit which will be 4 months.  The only think I think about is the space they will take up and the little value protein wise - but I am looking forward to having some.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 310 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 228 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 0 replies · 20 views
Recent Topics